Goog's Track and Argadells, Quorn

dimmo
Here and there

Goog's Track and Argadells, Quorn

Unread post by dimmo » May 27th, 2012, 10:02 pm

I figured this subforum has been a bit quiet and could do with a bit of new-thread lovin', so here's a copy pasta of my post from the Victorian Pajero Club Forums. Enjoy the pics:

I did my first proper family offroad trek in the Challenger over Easter and the following week. We drove Goog's Track (North of Ceduna) and then went across to Quorn for a few nights at the Argadells property.

We loaded the gear up and left home bright and early on Good Friday.

We'd planned to stay in the Gawler ranges friday night, but the highway travel took a bit longer than we'd expected, so we bailed and stayed in the Wudinna Caravan Park.

We headed for Ceduna Saturday morning to fuel up and grab a few extra groceries.
We got to the start of Goog's track early afternoon; We found some firewood, put the flags up and aired the tyres down.

We drove for a couple of hours to our first bush campsite - Goog's Lake.

We stayed two nights at Goog's Lake with the intent of letting the bigger little one have a break from the car and to let him run around and explore.

Would you like the chicken or the cow, sir?

I have no idea what this guy was intending to do with his tiny flag.
Also, caravans on 4wd tracks

We left Goog's Lake Monday morning and continued up the track towards Mt Finke.

The Mickeys workin' hard:

The view from the foot of Mt Finke:

Another group camped near us at Mt Finke. We heard them yapping away endlessly on the radio before they arrived. But, they were camped far enough away that they didn't bother us (and we didn't bother them).
We met them again the next day at the end of the track, where we said g'day and they told us they were from the Victorian Four Wheel Drive Club. To hear that they were members of a club and see that only 1 of 6 cars had dune flags was pretty poor.

We got back onto the dirt highway and headed towards Tarcoola. We pulled into the railway station, took a few snaps and then got straight back on the road.

From Tarcoola, we continued east towards Kingoonya. During our trip planning, I read that the pub and servo had shut down. There were a couple of bowsers near the "caravan park" that appeared to be powered up, so we may have been able to get fuel after all. Not that it mattered, we had plenty. There looked to be nowhere in town to camp, so we continued down the road towards Glendambo. We saw a couple of places that looked from the road like they could be decent campsites, only to find that they were completely covered with broken bottles. Eventually we found a spot further off the road with a token bit of shelter. It was officially named Kombi Kamp.

The next day was some good ol' boring highway travel - From Kombi Camp to Glendambo and then down down to Pt. Augusta. We loaded up with some more food and some fuel for me. (The outlaws' truck has enough fuel capacity to get around the entire country several times). After lunch we headed out to Quorn and then a bit further to Argadells. We set up camp and went for a quick cruise around one of the shorter tracks.

Thursday was Pitchi Ritchi Railway day. The bigger little one knew we had a surprise lined up, but he didn't know what it was going to be. His face lit up when he saw the big steam engine!

These guys had to follow the train because it was still bushfire season in the area, and the steam engine wasn't permitted to operate without fire dept backup. Love the oldschool Cruiser. :)

We went for another cruise around the Argadells property on Friday morning. We could have spent a week driving around the property. There are tracks going all over the place. Most of the tracks are reasonably easy, but they're rocky, steep in places.

The view at the top of Mt Arden is amazing:

And the descent down the south side is fun - 1st low, foot on the brakes and slipping over the loose rocks:

We then headed home via my parent's place on Yorke Peninsula for a morning's fishing. We went home with a dozen crabs and 13 squid including 2 of the biggest monsters I've ever seen.

The Challenger was faultless. It just needs more mods now :) - false floor to bolt the fridge down, underbody protection, water storage and somewhere for extra fuel and the second spare tyre.

Now, I'm off to plan our next trip. Can't wait. :)

80Butts
Avid Poster

Re: Goog's Track and Argadells, Quorn

Unread post by 80Butts » May 27th, 2012, 10:54 pm

Nice write up and pics. thanks for sharing.
you have given me something to think about now. was wondering what Googs track was like and now I have a better idea!
Thanks

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » May 28th, 2012, 11:27 am

Great work! How difficult was the Goog's track? I've thought of doing it with the family sometime, it looks pretty easy from the photos.

dimmo
Here and there

Unread post by dimmo » May 28th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Yep, It is pretty easy. The worst part is a few of the up-hills are chewed out, so there's some cross-axle articulation. But, I just rolled over them in 2H with no wheel spin, no hard acceleration.

Pouchie
Here and there

Unread post by Pouchie » June 13th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Dimmo
Looked like an enjoyable trip & on the still to do list for me
Cheers for the write up & pics
Regards
Pouchie

brad75troopy
Avid Poster

Unread post by brad75troopy » July 4th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Looks great. I have wanted to do this track for a while. Would be a good taste for desert travel I reckon

CHOP
Avid Poster

Unread post by CHOP » July 9th, 2012, 12:16 am

Looks good Dimmo, a track i've always wanted to do. You have have made me confident that i could do it now.
:lol:

Sorry , couldn't resist :redface:
The challenger looks nice with the lift fitted!

dimmo
Here and there

Unread post by dimmo » July 10th, 2012, 11:11 am

rofl at that pic. I would have been fine, except that I had to slow down for the suzukis in front of me. then... pflflflt into the sand I went.

sa_on_patrol
Been here a while

Unread post by sa_on_patrol » July 24th, 2012, 9:09 pm

the trip looks great dimmo, some excellent pics, nice lookin challenger too
1999 2.8 GU, 3" exhaust, 2" Dobinson lift, Donator Chip, RedArc Dual Battery System, Cargo Barrier, Airtech Snorkel, Smart Bar, Nite Hawk Lights, 265/75R16 D694LT's.
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=137190

92sr5dan
Been here a while

Unread post by 92sr5dan » September 30th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Great write up. Long trip from Vic! but i understand now with your parents on Yorkes. Mine live at Pine Point. I did Googs and the dog fence last summer. Poor judgement as the mercury went way over 40 deg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
68 FJ40
81 HJ47 Ute project http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=189&t=129096
03 Prado Wifeys bus.
UBIQUE!

Clint N
Been here a while

Unread post by Clint N » October 2nd, 2012, 3:27 pm

thanks for the post, good write up.

what sort of fuel economy did the challenger get?

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » October 2nd, 2012, 6:56 pm

Lol, get gas Clint. BTW the free wheeling hubs save me 0.8L/100km.

Clint N
Been here a while

Unread post by Clint N » October 3rd, 2012, 9:22 am

Haha mate. Time to upgrade I think she is gettin to old to spend another 5 grand lol

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » October 3rd, 2012, 10:05 am

Gets to that point hey. I'm up the Watagans at the moment, bemoaning the lack of a locker...always something more to buy

Clint N
Been here a while

Unread post by Clint N » October 4th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Good investment though the locker

Return to “South Australia”