Mals Xplorer Challenge... Weekend camp out

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Mals Xplorer Challenge... Weekend camp out

Unread post by monkeybucket » August 5th, 2015, 9:28 pm

So I packed up the 76er and fitted the big boots with Coolcalalaya station in my sights. On board I had a new navigator...my 4yo son William. This was to be our first boys weekend together accompanied also by Jason and his son, fellow Downsouth 4wd Club members. 2 of the greatest 4wds ever built...the 70 series and a GQ.

The trip in on friday was wet, it rained all day and the track into the station was pretty much all under a steady flow of water.

Tent and swags set, the night bought the full moon over the bar to add to the muddie madness.

Mud + children = crazy kids

The young fella also did well scoring friends and icecream out front of the Dust n Diesel bar.

Last edited by monkeybucket on August 5th, 2015, 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Re: Mals Xplorer Challenge... Weekend camp out

Unread post by monkeybucket » August 5th, 2015, 9:46 pm

The usual mud magnets were making a mess of themselves for the crowd.

Unfortunately my camera went dead during a lot of the action and I only got moving footage of some of the 2nd day but I managed to steal a few pics off fellow some spectators.

MB crossing the mighty Murchison river on the second day.

Getting bogged is unavoidable up here in this weather...

Jacks flex comp...a proud night for shopping trolleys everywhere

And the road home accompanied by the back to back modified class winners, Quad drive.

We seemed to have picked up some weight while we were up there. :D

Cheers to Mal, Bev and the crew of Murchison Off road Adventures for putting on another awesome weekend of racing. Cant wait till next year.
Cheers
Chris.

familyrig
Getting to know the place

Unread post by familyrig » August 9th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Gday Chris
Looks like you had fun. Can you tell me if the place is kids friendly? Also any drama with the cruiser during the trip? Mate just changed his 2nd alternator due to mud and water.
Cheers
Muz

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » August 10th, 2015, 9:10 pm

Yeah mate I have had my fair share of alternator trouble in this 76er. Nothing you cant fix on the road. Lucky this time no trouble on this trip...
There are a set of brushes under the plastic grill on the back of the alternator. 3 nuts remove the grill and 2 screws remove the brush box. (dont loose the nuts n screw!!! LOL) Tap the lil box on your bar work until the brushes free up...(the brushes get jammed by grit and loose contact with the armature)...put it all back together...bout 30 mins under the car to do this for VDJ V8. You can buy replacement brush kits for under 30 bucks...makes it a quicker ordeal.
As for Coolcalalaya station...I have been back 4 times now...its becoming an annual thing... :D
The place has so much to offer. It is a family run business. Camp ground rang from Hot showers in bush chalets to fully isolated breathtaking camp spots all over the massive property on the Murchison river. The river may be dry in the summer months but they have had a good few years of water in the river for now to keep the many swimming holes full. They have heaps of things to keep the kids happy just use common sense when around the camp. My boy kicked some hot ashes in his bare feet. My bad. Its worth keeping shoes on around the camp areas as camp fires are allowed.

So much to explore and of course the pub is worth a visit at the end of the day for a feed and to wet your lips. :cool:

Here is the website but just give Bev or Mal a ring and have a chat. They are all too happy to help you out.

http://murchisonoffroadadventures.com.au Phone: 08 99331050
Cheers
Chris.

familyrig
Getting to know the place

Unread post by familyrig » August 11th, 2015, 8:32 am

Thanks for that bit of info mate. Looking to head up sooner then later. For the alternator you can buy a water cooled sealed unit. Expensive as f!@#
Cheers
Muz

Return to “Western Australia”