Gibb River Road May 2013

Mikal52
Been here a while

Re: Gibb River Road May 2013

Unread post by Mikal52 » June 18th, 2013, 11:14 pm

Once we'd checked in for the next 2 nights we set up camp. We were fairly lucky that it wasn't busy so we made the most of the shelters they had around and set the swags up under them. Anything to help us stay out of the wet weather we'd been experiencing!

The following morning we headed for the Pentecost river to get some pics of the cars going through. Unfortunately due to the less than average wet season we were greeted with a very low Pentecost river. The water would've barely been a foot deep. But oh well there wasn't much we could do about it.

Pentecost River

We went and found a lookout where we could get some reception to call home and let everyone know we were safe.... Then headed back to the Pentecost river to try and catch some Barra! When we got there we heard from some others that there had been a 5m saltwater croc lurking around... This quickly changed out plans to launch the tinny of the muddy banks, so a fish off the banks it was.

Croc country

Our solid shade at Home Valley station!

Here for a good time, not a long time

smokescreen
Need to get out more

Unread post by smokescreen » June 18th, 2013, 11:54 pm

Loving the write up and photo's mate but i remember not loving that walk up to Manning gorge that's a decent walk isn't it.
2000 GU Patrol TD4.2T ute
2013 GXL 200 Series TTD Diesel Landcruiser
2012 Can Am XMR 800

Mikal52
Been here a while

Unread post by Mikal52 » June 21st, 2013, 12:39 pm

A couple more pics from around Home Valley station....

Pentecost River.

Panorama from the lookout where everyone makes calls home :P

The bus after a quick scrub at home valley... Looking out towards Home Valley and El Questro to the right.

Mikal52
Been here a while

Unread post by Mikal52 » June 28th, 2013, 1:24 pm

After 2 nights at Home Valley station we made the quick trip (60km) to El Questro station where we were staying for 3 nights before getting back on the bitumen.... We setup camp down by the river and went to do a bit of exploring. From the information sheets at the shop we found some 4wd tracks which were ranging from easy to advanced, naturally we headed straight for the advanced track! What we found was pretty disappointing but couldn't really expect too much... Didn't get out of 2 wheel drive but we were greeted with some great view from the top!

Looking over El Questro

Can pay over $1000 p/n to stay here, the missus was begging but I thought our swag was better.

Mikal52
Been here a while

Unread post by Mikal52 » June 28th, 2013, 2:40 pm

We headed back to camp and had the idea that instead of cooking something from the fridge we'd catch our dinner tonight, so we hired a few electric motor boats and made our way to the Chamberlain river to get some dinner. We hooked up an awesome size Barra pretty much straight away but that was the one that got away..... Kate was the only person to land a fish that day, and it wasn't nearly big enough to feed 5 hungry mouth, so we threw it back and cooked up a spag bog in the camp oven..

Proof that we caught something!

Mikal52
Been here a while

Unread post by Mikal52 » June 28th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Next day we were geared up for the walk to El Questro gorge. From what we'd heard it was a few hour trip with some tricky rock climbing sections. The walk itself was pretty amazing as we followed the gorge the entire time. With a few small pools to stop and cool off, I think it took us about 1.5-2 hours in all to get to the end of the gorge.

Taking a break waiting for the girls.

A bit of team work to get up the first of a few rock climbs :)

Another rock climb toward the end.

The prize at the end of our walk... We were lucky enough to have the pool to ourselves too!

View from the waterfall looking back.

And another angle of one of the rock walls we had to climb, pretty fun stuff :)

We also headed to Zebedee springs for a dip, it was beautiful and a nice place for a relax in one of the flowing rock pools, but wayyy too crowded for me. Basically had to wait until someone left before there was enough room to get all of us into a rock pool. Didn't get any pics on our camera from here.

Mikal52
Been here a while

Unread post by Mikal52 » June 28th, 2013, 3:44 pm

A water Crossing on the way to El Questro Gorge.

Our last day at El Questro we went and visited Emma Gorge, about a 45 minute walk each way, with some pretty cool sights along the way. After which we stopped in at the Emma Gorge resort and had a bite to each with a few beers.

A small pool on the walk in to Emma Gorge.

Emma Gorge.

Playing with the camera..

After Emma Gorge we headed back to camp, I did the righty and took the missus up one of the lookouts for the sunset, then we got stuck in to the booze just for something different..... Got in trouble by some fellow campers who were trying to sleep, so we moved to the other side of the cars and partied on :P Needless to say there were a few sore heads in the morning.

The girly and I enjoying the sunset (Forgive my hopeless camera skills)

Mikal52
Been here a while

Unread post by Mikal52 » June 28th, 2013, 4:02 pm

From El Questro we were officially finished the Gibb River Road :( The plan from here was to head in to Kununurra to restock on some supplies, and make our way down to Wolfe Creek for the night, followed by a couple of nights fishing on the Fitzroy River at Camballin. While in Kununurra the missus decided to take the oppourtunity and buy herself a lovely pink argyle diamond ring. To say there was some begging for me to go halves is an understatement! But I didn't give in, need that money for the Cruiser :P We also needed to stock up on the good stuff (booze) but we soon discovered that the bottle shops up this way have strict restrictions and don't open until 12pm (from memory) It was about 9.30am and we had another 5 hours to drive... We made a collective decision to make do with what we had left for the night and head into Derby the following day on our way to Camballin.

We hit the road for Wolfe Creek, Only to be extremely disappointed when we got to the turnoff just outside Halls Creek. Unfortunately due to all the rain while we were on the Gibb the road had become 'impassable' and therefore been closed :( I rang main roads and was told they weren't entirely sure when it would reopen, could be tomorrow morning, could be in 3 days time. So we missed out there :( We picked our bottom lips up of the ground and decided to push on straight to Camballin, another 4 or so hours down the road.

Not a happy camper :(

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » July 1st, 2013, 9:29 pm

Awesome pics and write up, definetly a trip to do. COOONNNVVOOYY lol

I am a wuss and hate crocs though

Mikal52
Been here a while

Unread post by Mikal52 » July 1st, 2013, 11:03 pm

Alright time for me to finish this write up haha....

That night we pushed on to Camballin, driving through Fitzroy crossing was a little nervous that's for sure.... Seeing the locals fighting on the street was something that made me glad we were just driving through and not staying the night. We hit the turnoff to Camballin just on dark, our mate Trav had been here the year before but conditions were a little different, we found ourselves driving through some of the stickiest mud holes I've seen... And being night time we weren't exactly sure how far we had to go. At a guess I'd say we drove for about 2 hours through the mud and in the night before we found the camping area, where we decided to quickly roll the swags out and get some sleep. We would setup camp properly and find a better camping area in the morning.

Next morning we had a look around, where we had pulled up was the most popular camping spot in the area, so we took a drive to find somewhere a little more quiet. Along the main road there are side tracks everywhere leading to the banks of the Fitzroy River, it didn't take long before we found the perfect little spot!

From the river bank looking up at our camp site.

From the campsite looking down (we dragged the tinny across the sand then carried the motor down)

And we were straight into the boat to make sure she was ready to catch us some Barra!

While us boy were doing manly stuff and getting the boat in the water and having celebratory beers! We sent the girls into the kitchen and they cooked up one of the best breakfast I've had in a long time!

Mikal52
Been here a while

Unread post by Mikal52 » July 1st, 2013, 11:12 pm

Apart from a trip in to Derby to restock the booze fridge, we spent the last 3 days of the trip fishing, drinking, and more drinking.... We didn't catch much but we put that down to 1. Not having any live bait and 2. Not being patient enough and our preference to get another coldie...

A couple of action pics of the fishing part.

Myself casting like a pro! (See the croc in the background!)

That didn't last long until I gave up and resorted to having a beer in an old building window on the river bank

A couple more pics of the local inhabitants, and the old water treatment plant that we camped at the first night.

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » July 1st, 2013, 11:13 pm

Awesome trip report !!

What a magic place Australia is.....

nao
Avid Poster

Unread post by nao » July 1st, 2013, 11:23 pm

great read, cheers

Mikal52
Been here a while

Re: Gibb River Road May 2013 - Report finally finished!

Unread post by Mikal52 » July 1st, 2013, 11:25 pm

We packed up after 3 nights on the Fitzroy and reluctantly made our way back to Karratha.... This is when I noticed another problem had arisen on the bus... I was getting a bit of clutch slippage in 4th gear. Not much I could do about it in the bush, so for the rest of the drive I skipped 4th gear and everything was sweet, we made it home safely, and the next day had the unpleasant task of unpacking and cleaning everything up....

The bus after 2 weeks in the bush

I put the sprinkler under it for an hour, then got it on ramps and put the pressure cleaner under there, here is the result on my driveway haha

All in all we completed about 4500kms, 1580km of which was on the Gibb River Road (including up to Mitchell Falls etc)
The damage report was as follows

My bus
Melted rear door vinyl from the gas cooker :o
Fuel Filter changed
Clutch slipping

Hilux
Blown fuses
Broken UHF antenna
Broken Hella spottie

Troopy
Bullbar mounts broken

Trailer
Lost number plate
Broken tail lights
Broken tail light mounting brackets
All wiring ripped out
Lost right Mudguard

The road did take it's toll on the cars, but nothing major that can't be repaired. My clutch will need replacing but I don't think the Gibb is the only reason it has started to go. As for tyres, we let ours down to about 22psi and had no issues at all.

Would I do this trip again......... In a heartbeat!!!!!!!

Sorry this write up has taken so long. I've been pretty busy since getting home, and to be honest I'm also pretty lazy haha!

Enjoy
Michael
Last edited by Mikal52 on July 1st, 2013, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikal52
Been here a while

Unread post by Mikal52 » July 1st, 2013, 11:50 pm

Oh and 1 last pic of my little souvenirs.... To prove I'm not making all this stuff up haha!

Return to “Western Australia”