2011 Easter South West trip

nickfavazzo
Here and there

2011 Easter South West trip

Unread post by nickfavazzo » August 26th, 2011, 12:39 am

Over the 2011 Easter break me and the guys loaded up our 4x4s and headed south, in total we had 4 vehicles (3 Toyotas and one poor Nissan). As this was our first large (relatively) trip we had been planning it for a while and could not wait to get away from home.

We left on the Thursday morning in a bid to beat traffic, which worked fine until we hit an oversize truck on Albany Hwy which held us up for a while. Passing through many inland towns stopping in Arthur River for lunch, we eventually arrived at the entrance of the Stirling ranges National Park through Cranbrook.

We followed the Salt River road onto Red Gum pass before turning onto the Stirling Range drive which had some amazing views of the hills around us, though it had not rained in a while so it was quite dusty.
Image Image Image

after an interesting drive we set up camp at Moingup springs and settled down for the arvo/night.

Then next day we headed off to climb Bluff Knoll the weather was fine and after a decent brekky we were at the beginning of the climb. After a bit of a walk up we stopped and viewed the amazing view of the plains around the ranges and the ranges themselves.

Next stop was Albany where we fueled up and had a quick visit to the Gap and Natural bridge, after Albany we began the trek to our next campsite the Falls of Forth, we spent a good 3 hours driving through the bush looking for the elusive falls before giving up and heading to Rame head near Peaceful bay, setting up in the dark we enjoyed some salt and pepper squid before sleeping.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
We woke the next morning to an amazing view of the cliffs and beach around us, somehow in the dark of night we had stumbled upon a little clearing on a ledge that had views of the entire bay, what luck it really was a magnificent spot. We then hit the tracks again before stopping in Peaceful bay to pump the tyres and grab some refreshments before moving on.

Anyway after the Bay we went through to the Treetop walk which was an adventure in just getting there. Our maps told us there was a track we could follow and we would come out just before the walk but just along the road a huge tree had fallen and blocked the path, so we had to find another path out, after following signposted roads we ended up on the wrong side of a Restricted access sign, so we quickly moved on.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Next stop for the night was Broke inlet, well what an amazing place it is. There were people everywhere but this place is so huge no one was cramped for space! Definitely coming back here! Our first casualty for the trip was a severe burn to the hand caused by cooking campbells chunky and lack of hand eye coordination, once the hand was dealt with we settled in for what was a wet night.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
The next morning we found out who had water proof swags, luckily I had one, the others didn't fare to well, but it goes to say, spending money on a decent swag is worth every cent!

We headed off to Town to get some supplies and to treat the burn a little better before heading off to Yeagarup. We hit the Warren Beach road which we followed down to the beach before heading NE towards the dunes. We were probably the last cars to cross the
warren river as it was well on its way to breaking. We then spent the night in the dunes prepared for a wet night.
Image Image
Image Image Image

The next morning we all awoke dry thanks to a bit of a better setup than last time and it definitely payed off. We took to the beach to try go back through the way we came in but the river had now completely broken as was flowing very fast. After giving up on that plan we pulled out the maps and began scoping out some of the tracks. After a little confusion as to what track we were actually on we then left through the Yeagarup track (Ritter rd?) Last stop on the trip was The Gloucaster climbing tree, it was an awesome climb to the top with some great vies from the platform.
Image Image
Image Image
After some lunch we headed to Nannup to stay at a mates property, unwind and have a shower before heading back to Perth the following day.

All in all a great trip with a few hiccups but I cannot wait to go back down there again and scope out a bit more of the terrain!

nickfavazzo
Here and there

Re: 2011 Easter South West trip

Unread post by nickfavazzo » August 26th, 2011, 12:53 am

Sorry about the random sizing, I had trouble getting them all in for some reason.

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » August 26th, 2011, 9:17 am

Pics look good, yet to go through that area :)

HDJ78R
Need to get out more

Unread post by HDJ78R » August 26th, 2011, 11:06 am

Good report and great photo's, it is beautifull down that way. We're definateley will be going back there one day.

STRIKER
Getting to know the place

Unread post by STRIKER » August 29th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Ye that trip was pretty epic. Good article Nick, didn't realise my Patrol had such a fat ass lol. Got a couple of photos I'd like to add, good old Broke Inlet!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nut Up or Shut Up

nickfavazzo
Here and there

Unread post by nickfavazzo » August 30th, 2011, 12:40 am

haha I dont even remember that first pic:/

We need to head back down now that I have my nissan.

STRIKER
Getting to know the place

Unread post by STRIKER » August 30th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Too right hey! That Terrano's gonna fly along, it'll be a damn sight lighter and faster than the rest of us no doubt. I'll have a talk to the guys at The Performance Shoppe about those mods too. Should do a roof rack like mine hey, comes in handy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nut Up or Shut Up

Return to “Western Australia”