View topic - BRUNSWICK JUNCTION -WA

BRUNSWICK JUNCTION -WA

BRUNSWICK JUNCTION -WA

Today we went to do Brunswick Junction- not far at all from home, so we thought we would head out after a breakfast of Milo Pancakes with Nutella topping, and be home for a late lunch. An unhealthy brekkie? Nah, completely low GI, kept us going for hours :D

The afternoon before I’d said to HDJ78R we should take both vehicles today, he has a winch (mine is now top of my list) in case we find some good tracks. We decided against it, we would just do a recon of the area and stick to the easy bits today with one vehicle.

Little did we know lunch would be burgers at Brunswick Junction after 4pm.... but there is a whole heap to this story before I jump to the delicious burgers! Then again, by the time we rediscovered civilisation, I would have been happy to chow down on the inner wool of a dole bludgers ugh boot.
I packed the bottles of water, and some small bags of chips, sultanas and muesli bars. Seems enough when you are full of pancake, but an hour later I’m always hungry again... that and the Captain seems to have an intestinal worm again and ate most of the stash solo.

We headed through Dardanup and onto the South Western Highway towards Brunswick Junction, home of the famous 6.5L Chev Diesel Engines. Thanks to Aaron Schubert for having a website with travel reports, this is how we got to find out about the area and how to get there.
We turned right onto Beela Road once we hit the middle of town, and followed it for around 6-7km before it turned to gravel. Flynn Rd is the second road on the left and is well sign posted. We travelled over the railway line (first checking for trains from Worsely carrying alumina) and turned right over the bridge. The next two hours were spent exploring: Mud slides, hill climbs, river crossings and a river to sit down at for lunch.
IMAG0641 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0642 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0643 (Copy).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 9:38 pm

Re: BRUNSWICK JUNCTION -WA

IMAG0645 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0646 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0647 (Copy).jpg

The area is a mix between forestry, farmland and plntation.With it being winter, everything is beautiful and green, with the creeks and rivers full.
IMAG0655 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0656 (Copy).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 9:44 pm

IMAG0657 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0659 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0664 (Copy[attachment=0]IMAG0666 (Copy).jpg
).jpg[/attachment]

A big hill of rocks, rocks and more rocks. Next to it is a flyer for the upcoming 4WD competition. Potential track maybe? :D
IMAG0667 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0668 (Copy).jpg

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 9:54 pm

IMAG0673 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0675 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0676 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0677 (Copy).jpg

Back in the forestry section we found a big mud slide. We were at the bottom, and started to walk tthe track to see how slippery it was. Decided to find the top and come down as it would be easier with the momentum, and we were just one vehicle.
IMAG0678 (Copy).jpg

The kind of mud that tries to suck off your boots, and makes them weigh twice as much!
IMAG0682 (Copy).jpg

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 10:01 pm

IMAG0685 (Copy).jpg

We continued driving around on varying tracks- in the open with mud slides, in the forestry with waterfalls- exceptional variety!
IMAG0689 (Copy).jpg

Fantastic show of blackboys in this region- would love to take some home for the backyard
IMAG0690 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0691 (Copy).jpg

We came out at another T intersection where we let 3 vehicles pass. We followed on at a safe distance. HDJ78R is a patient teacher with me and my low gear downhill phobia ('Take your foor off the clutch') but I've improved after today lol.
IMAG0693 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0694 (Copy).jpg

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 10:09 pm

We caught up again with the vehicles, parked at the bottom of a long, slippery, steep mud hill. We wandered over to say hi, and to see what they were watching. A V8 Nissan was on it's 3rd attempt to do the hill climb. He reversed back, tried again. Reversed back, we thought he was clearing the mud from his treads, but he chucked a 3 point turn and disappeared. Standing at the bottom with our new found friends (Spanish? Couldn't understand them on the UHF. Told HDJ78R to teach me Flemish so we could do the same :D)

The more we stood, the more we talked. They had all achieved the climb, so we began to convince HDJ78R to give it a crack. Lockers? Nope. Dirty great V8? Oh yeah! C'mon, you can do it! I told the guys we'd do it if they stuck around to recover us if we got stuck- we don't have a winch. A deal was quickly struck, and we gave HDJ78R the keys
IMAG0702 (Copy).jpg

I stayed at the bottom to supervise the Captain who had found a skanking great sloppy mud pool, and to take photos.

First attempt, before being stopped by a tree root.
IMAG0697 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0698 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0699 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0700 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0701 (Copy).jpg

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Thwarted by a tree root, HDJ78R reversed back down to go again, this time sticking to the centre line. Success! Pfft, Toyota beat a Nissan again :D

While Toyota was proving supremacy again, my Spanish buddies were encouraging the Captain the jump in the sloppy puddles. I could see what would happen next, and I wasn't disappointed. Captain got both gumboots stuck and fell forwards, burying both hands. Hands now stuck. Reefed hands out and fell backwards into the mud minus a boot.

Retrieved child and boot. Senor's looked at him, looked at my truck. 'Oh dear, his dad won't want him back in his car like that!'
'It's fine', says I, 'It's my car and they're made to get dirty'. 'YOUR car?' (yes, hello, do you remember when we pulled up that I was actually driving?)

While finishing our chat, a crusty 1980s Ford Laser with steam pouring out from under the bonnet lurched past with P platers on board. Yeah, must have hit the water crossing a bit fast :) The driver was bright red, and kept his eyes firmly ahead when passing us.

Had a good laugh, and we continued on to see what else this area could offer.
IMAG0704 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0705 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0710 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0713 (Copy).jpg

We found a nice creek where the Captain could be vleaned up a little, and have some chips.
IMAG0716 (Copy).jpg

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 10:38 pm

IMAG0718 (Copy).jpg

A little ways down the track there was water over the road. I coouldn't see the bottom, or the other end, so off came the shoes and socks to walk the depth. Freezing cold, squelchy and calf height :D

IMAG0720 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0724 (Copy).jpg

After the non- eventful crossing that could have been achieved (and probably was by the afore mentioned Laser) we came to a faster flowing crossing with some larger rocks. Since I already had wet and cold feet, I offered to walk this one too. Thigh high in one spot- brrrrrr.

IMAG0725 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0727 (Copy).jpg

Up the slippery hill and crested the top, to find the river was on our right.
IMAG0728 (Copy).jpg

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 10:48 pm

We had a break and let the Captain have a splash and find more mud to play in. He is so good when he comes out for a trip, we encourage him to get dirty and enjoy himself :D
IMAG0732 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0731 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0733 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0740 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0746 (Copy).jpg

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 10:54 pm

Good to see you checking the crossings :)
Funny stuff, you certainly have a nack of finding trouble and quite a way with words!!!!
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Unread postby stretch4x4 » August 14th, 2011, 10:57 pm

Need to get out more

Looks like a great day out i must get back down that way sometime soon :)
2000 GU Patrol TD4.2T ute
2013 GXL 200 Series TTD Diesel Landcruiser
2012 Can Am XMR 800

Unread postby smokescreen » August 14th, 2011, 10:58 pm

After the river we continued along the track. It's funny... to start with we couldn't find the river- then we ended up in circles and passing it 3-4 times :D Ah, we need a GPS we'd chuckle at each other.
Yes, this would be repeated many times over about an hour later!

IMAG0754 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0755 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0757 (Copy).jpg
IMAG0758 (Copy).jpg

It's about to get interesting smokescreen :D Had you been there, we may have had a different day...

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 11:00 pm

Definitely need more time here next time- plenty of camping spots by the river and creeks, can easily spend 2 days here exploring. Sadly it's around 40km from home, and it's taken us over a year to get here.
IMAG0762 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0764 (Copy).jpg

It was at this point our afternoon drive would change, not for the worse (now that we are home in 3 pieces) but for the more interesting! Bogged in the claypans in Alice for 17 hours was a breeze compared to what was coming up.

HDJ78R had been driving around, and had asked if I wanted to drive again. 'I don't mind' was the response. We tackled a few more tracks, then pulled up at a cross roads. I looked over to HDJ78R and said 'I'll drive'.

Now, before you start with the 'female drivers' routine, you can have the cup of concrete I'm offering you and harden up. I reckon I drove as well as any male out there today after we took the 'Plantation Highway Turned Goat Track From Hell Can't Turn Too Narrow Must Go On Jesus Do We Have To Climb That Hill It's Huge'. Yes, dear drivers. When next faced with a crossroads, I will turn towards the way we had come!
IMAG0764 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0766 (Copy).jpg

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 11:14 pm

This is the Top of the Road from Hell- if you look closely in the centre of the picture in the lighter green, you can see the track back up the other side. Low gear, some fear and HDJ78R being an awesome navigator. Gave it the berries, and had a ridiculously dense grin on my face when we hit the top. Ah, this hobby is addictive :D

IMAG0768 (Copy).jpg

The track was shocking- big wash outs, and once we were on it had no choice but to climb as there was no way to turn back. I'm still surprised we went from 4 lane plantation dirt highway to mountain goat track in no time at all. No GPS on the phone, no idea where we were. Which in the next post will prove to be a problem...

So, once at the top (and just short of hi-5ing myself and awesome skills, we hit a switchbackp- which meant we were now heading down... on the same angle. Tried to palm off the driving to HDJ78R- who then reminded me that I keep saying I need experience. The road down was worse than the one we travelled up. Picked a line, which in slippery clay doesn't really work. Slid into the ruts and the adventure died faster than a canary down a mine shaft. HDJ78R slid out the passenger window to assess the situation- the Captain wanted to follow suit. No.

Tried reverse, first, rocking, berried the heck out of it. We were stuck, bottomed out in an epic fashion.

Shall I remind you today we went looking for easy tracks, and didn't have a winch on this vehicle? Ch 18 on the UHF got a response- 'Tell us your GPS coordinates and we'll find you' Bahahaha, yeah. We don't have a GPS. 'Can you describe where you are?' Sure. Bottomed out on a steep, muddy slope. Identical to many others in this area. I appreciate his offer of help, but it was clear we could only help ourselves.

The Captain was at first concerned we would be there forever, then found a small bag of chips and his world was all good again. I briefly thought, 'What would Bear Grylls do?' but the thought of drinking my own p... does nothing for me, nor can I see how it would help in the current situation.

HDJ retrieved the recovery equipment and the hi lift jack to do a down hill winch, when we were laughed at by the higher powers again. The plate on the jack where the shackles attach were in the Troopy. Back in Boyanup.

Readers, this is where an amazing transformation took place. HDJ turned MacGuyver on me. (If he'd had duct tape, it would have been better, but we could see no use for it lol).
IMAG0769 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0770 (Copy).jpg

IMAG0771 (Copy).jpg

The Captain was now back to thinking this was the best thing ever and gave himself the job of manning the UHF. 'Mum, I'll tell you when someones on channel. But no one can find us can they? Will I get to school tomorrow? Can I climb out the window too? If Yarnie can climb out the window why can't I?'

Unread postby Missy » August 14th, 2011, 11:34 pm

Bahahahaa you know how to tell a story you do!!!
Glad to hear Jan making you have a crack :D
PS you have an android phone surely you can get a GPS app for it..?
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Unread postby stretch4x4 » August 14th, 2011, 11:39 pm

Next

Return to Western Australia