Honeymoon Pools - Collie July 2011

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Honeymoon Pools - Collie July 2011

Unread post by oncedisturbed » July 28th, 2011, 2:00 am

Here goes a first attempt at writing up a report.

Friday the 8th (last day of school), 3 families packed up the gear..well, sort of and decided to head down to Honeymoon Pools which is located approx 25kms before Collie just off Wellington Dam Rd and River Rd, 2 - 3 hours south of Perth.

The day started out nice and clear and all were in good spirits for the trundle down. The dropouts started calling with various reasons as there were roughly 8 - 10 families coming. At the time, they sounded valid until we got back on the Sunday and heard it was a case of CBF, pity on them.

Anywho, after the last minute supply run off we went, parents keen, kids having a ball....then the missus started feeling off...grrr.

We all called into the bakery in Pinjarra for lunch and a leg stretch. All fed and watered we continued our way down and made our into Potter's Gorge (Just past Honeymoon Pools) for a look around..lasted a whole 10 minutes.

Back into Honeymoon Pools we go, It was like a whole different place seeing as they are around 2km apart and a lot more serene. This was my first time here and the photo's don't do it any justice, it is magic in there.

Everyone all setup and relaxing begins, nice fire going, beers, kids running around having a blast and parents having a coldie and a yarn. Definetely got a bit fresh down there as we woke up the next morning and still minus 1.7 at 7am, glad I took the trailer down loaded with wood :) and the wife was happy because I bought the hot water bottles for her and munchkin.

The sites are numbered and have shady clearings for tents. No campertrailer etc were permitted in the area we were at. They also have cement fire rings with bbq plates, flushing toilets which made the wives happy and water on tap but requires boiling first.

Looking at the campsite just after setup.

From the side of the site.

Various shots of the river behind including nice walk trails, decked area and great swimming hole for the kids.

Despite freezing brass ones down there, kids will be kids especially when water is around, hell know's how munchkin could stand it.
Hence me standing around on kiddie watch at the river behind the campsite.
I hate cameras.

HDJ78R
Need to get out more

Re: Honeymoon Pools - Collie July 2011

Unread post by HDJ78R » July 28th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Good 1st report mate :thumb: It is beautifull up there, we've been ther a couple of times.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 28th, 2011, 7:08 pm

Nice report. It is a great place for a few days - pretty quiet!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Brad.S
Been here a while

Unread post by Brad.S » July 28th, 2011, 7:46 pm

Some great pics there, thanks for sharing

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » July 28th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Cheer for the comments. Used to be a great fan of Dwellingup but last time I was there, well and truly turned to bollocks. Far nicer here.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 28th, 2011, 10:21 pm

Why's that mate? I still enjoy Dwellingup

Aaron

My 80 Series Landcruiser

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » July 28th, 2011, 11:02 pm

nice place scenery wise etc, waaay too many knobheads and yahoo's ruining the place unless you manage to really jag the time you go down.

Admittedly there are a few areas to go and camp there but it's better during the week than a weekend but that is like most popular places to stay

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 29th, 2011, 6:21 pm

Yep, I know what you mean. Yarragal campsite is probably the best - 2 next to each other that are ages away from everyone else. With the online booking now, you can plan it way in advance and get a great spot

Aaron

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Fisto
Been here a while

Unread post by Fisto » October 18th, 2011, 12:59 pm

just got back from 4 nights at honeymoon pool, it was a great camp site. I cannot believe how it was treated by the yobbs who where there on friday and saturday night and the day trip f_wits who left the place covered in toilet paper, broken glass, beer bottles along the walk trails, half finished cans and stubbies on the swimming deck area, and to the clowns openly pulling bongs in the carpark in front of my kids. At the main site there were just 4 clean sites when I left, mine, the old couple with a slide of ute canopy,the bloke next to us with 2 young girls and the bloke on the otherside of us who is probably still there. I was really dissapointed these morons come here and the first thing they do is crank there radio to eleven crack a beer at breakfast and continue to late a night.I will say they did turn it down at 9:30, I am not opposed to radios I play my radio but when I can here your crap music from the other end of the campsite over everyone elses radio it to loud. thankfully they buggered off and we got to see all sorts of birds and animals namely an awesome goanna that visited our campsite. if your keen for a walk there a two 10k walk trails I did the "come and see" trail. exelent remnant vegetation,wildflowers and great views of the valley. The gates to the lennard track 4wd day use track was still closed
but people must have been entering from the powerlines side because I saw at least 5 4wds on the other side of the river.
do as a say not as i do
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=121393

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » October 18th, 2011, 1:40 pm

sounds like a mixed w/end

Hopefully going back down at the end of november for the w/end and try the wellington dam tracks

Fisto
Been here a while

Unread post by Fisto » October 18th, 2011, 4:07 pm

the spot is great its probably best to dodge school holidays. I would be kean to head down, work and family permiting
to check out the tracks around the area too, was to busy entertaining my kids to get off road this time
do as a say not as i do
viewtopic.php?f=134&t=121393

Return to “Western Australia”