Just got back from The GIBB / Mitchell Falls

keep_on_runnin
Here and there

Just got back from The GIBB / Mitchell Falls

Unread post by keep_on_runnin » July 24th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Awesome trip - worth every corrugation. Road past Drysdale Station into M.F. has only been open a few weeks - infact we past the first grader down to Surveyors Pool (A must visit to just sit and watch). The 'coastal' heli ride from M.F. campground will make you slap yourself. We spotted a massive Ray, 2 Lemon sharks, crocs and turtles before tracking back up the Mitchell River to the Falls ($320 each x 4). The GIBB was good in some sections and rough in others (70kph). Road into M.F. was much slower (40kph). Manning Gorge waterfall (1.5hr walk from campground - wear hike boots) must not be missed. Plan to spend half a day exploring there (take a noodle to help you float). Vehicle prep. is everything - suspension and tyres are paramount. I ran my tyres at 26psi cold. Crossing the King Edward is not an issue - axle height. All in all great camping - very few flies and mozzies. Great gorges to cool off after a days exploring 30C - not bad for the middle of winter. Indigenous art (20,000 years old) is like it was done yesterday - take the time to look. Camps were only half full.
Mark

madmacca
Avid Poster

Re: Just got back from The GIBB / Mitchell Falls

Unread post by madmacca » July 24th, 2011, 11:34 pm

its a great part of Aus up there mate ,we went last year and loved it .
did you go up to Kalumburu ?

cheers Macca
The Destination is the product of the Journey Enjoy Both

Brad.S
Been here a while

Unread post by Brad.S » July 25th, 2011, 9:19 am

Sound great Mark, plan on getting up there in the next few years, got any photos to share?

m2patrol
Here and there

Unread post by m2patrol » July 25th, 2011, 6:36 pm

Thanks for the post, we leave in 3 weeks for a month in the Kimberlys and I can't wait , It sounds like all the roads up there are open, what would you say is your NUMBER ONE thing to see,
thanks
Matt

keep_on_runnin
Here and there

Unread post by keep_on_runnin » July 26th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Hey Macca, road to K is closed for the rest of the year. It got totally undercut last wet. There are some photos if you search on Shire of Wyndham.
Hey Brad, I'll get some photos up.
Hey Matt, your prep. has become an obsession, you have left no stone unturned and you have left nothing to chance. This will give you a fighting chance to see as much as you can in the time you have. The NUMBER ONE's are not necessarily the postcard shots. They are the moments that just happen in front of your eyes only - because you are there. You will know what I mean when you see it. Best of luck.
Mark

madmacca
Avid Poster

Unread post by madmacca » July 26th, 2011, 11:46 pm

keep_on_runnin wrote:Hey Macca, road to K is closed for the rest of the year. It got totally undercut last wet.
Mark
that's a pitty it was one of the many highlights of our trip ,we stayed at McGown's Island just north of Kalumburu ,and had a nice day travelling up to luluby bay ,

Cheers Macca
The Destination is the product of the Journey Enjoy Both

m2patrol
Here and there

Unread post by m2patrol » July 27th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Thanks Mate, I have spent the last 6 months on the car in preperation for this trip as I like to be over prepared rather than under, the patrol is in at the mechanic this week getting the last couple of things done, I understand what you mean about the big things to see over all our travels sometimes its the things that arn't the big tourist attractions are our best memories, or the people we meet along the way.
Thanks heaps
Matt

lookinround
Getting to know the place

Unread post by lookinround » September 1st, 2011, 6:39 pm

Kulumbaroo road opened on the 26 july, i travelled on it on the 30 july

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » September 1st, 2011, 7:53 pm

Sounds like a great trip. Photos!!!!