FEBRUARY: Billy Goats Bluff Track

Luxy
Been here a while

FEBRUARY: Billy Goats Bluff Track

Unread post by Luxy » February 21st, 2015, 7:04 am

Sticking to my new years resolution, of a trip a month, I can now tick off getting away camping and 4wdriving for the month of February :supz:

There were 2 cars, a mate Tom and his wife Carla in a Disco, and an old mate who I use to work with, and he also came on the simpson trip with me years ago, Trev.
I got home from work friday, with black clouds loom and proceeded to get smash by the rain as soon as I got home. Had to wait 30mins for the rain to stop before packing the rest of the car, then picked up Trev, and we were on our way leaving home about 6pm headed for Dargo.
It rained most of the way there, but we arrived about 11pm and met Tom at Italian Flat camping area, about 20mins on from Dargo, put up the tent and swag, had a beer, then headed off to bed.
The rain continued throughout the night, and early the next morning. Apparently they had a bit of rain for the later part of the week too!

Breaky saturday morning at Italian Flat out of Dargo

Dargo Pub... yep, its wet...

Crossing the river at Kingswell Bridge

Since Tom hadnt been offroad much the last few years, and hadnt been 4wdriving in the disco before, he was a bit nervous about the tracks, as I was planning to do a couple of steep ones, getting to Kingswell Bridge, before the Billy Goat turn off, so we bypassed them.
We headed back into Dargo first, as Trev hasnt been there before, and as it was 10.30.... the pub had just opened, so we had to have a beer of course! ;) And a wander in the general store.
We crossed the river, which was nice and low, then headed towards the BIlly Goat turn off. It was raining again as we started on the track, meeting 2 cars coming down it almost instantly.
There was plenty of grip on the track due to the rock, and it being recently graded. There was low cloud around everywhere, so getting a view from the top was out of the question.
We met a couple more cars on the helipad on the way up too.
The ridge at the top was completely under cloud, so we continued on.

Heading up Billy Goats, with the wipers going

On the 'ridge' of Billy Goats

Luxy
Been here a while

Re: FEBRUARY: Billy Goats Bluff Track

Unread post by Luxy » February 21st, 2015, 7:05 am

We went on another track which linked up to the pinnacles road, heading towards Moroka Road.
There was a bang under the Disco and he somehow managed to blow a rear airbag, so his rear suspension on the drivers side dropped right down... bugger! No more tracks!
We continued on until we were out of the national park, and found a camping spot which I normally use beside the river and set up camp there. It was drizzling again, so we all piled under the awning of my oztent for happy hour.

The tent set up with low cloud starting to blanket the area again.

There were some good chopped up logs about, but they were completely waterlogged and even a few litres of diesel didnt help them stay alight for too long.
Tom and I took the wheel off his rangie to have a look at the airbag, which looked find, no holes, but it was dead flat. The airline going in was fine as well, including the other end of the airline in the compressor, so we put the wheel back on and decided sunday to just go out the main track into Licola and home.
Sunday morning we awoke to glorious sunshine, and as Trev hasnt been to the lookout at the pinnacles before, we did a run back there.
It looked awesome! Half the mountains were covered in cloud in layers like waves, and the rest of the mountains you could see for miles. Trev was impressed!

Bennisons Lookout

We then went back to camp, packed up and headed into Licola for a lunch.
On the way out, I showed Trev Burgyones Gap Track, which he though was pretty good, although we just walked up the fun bit, just in case I got into trouble, Tom was still out on teh bitumen road, unable to make it in was his saggy arsed suspension.
We then headed down on the the princess hwy and home about 6pm last night.
Had another awwwwwesome trip, even if the weather friday night and saturday was crappy, at least the tents came home dry with the sun on sunday morning.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » February 21st, 2015, 5:23 pm

Hey mate, love this story. I would like to do this track as soon as I can. Maybe next Summer Holiday.
We planned to go to lake Darthmouth around the end of December but the weather was according to the BOM so bad that
we changed plans. Have you been there?

Cheers

Luxy
Been here a while

Unread post by Luxy » February 22nd, 2015, 11:43 am

Hiya mate. Havent been to Dartmouth for about 20 years now! So im not 100% sure of the tracks in the area to know.
Its a great spot up that way though, good luck on your trip when you get down here though :)
Billy goats is awesome with great views though, can get busy in peak periods.

Return to “Victoria”