WWII Plane Crash Memorial - Track Restoration Mt Torbreck

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Re: WWII Plane Crash Memorial - Track Restoration Mt Torbrec

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 3rd, 2015, 4:04 am

The new recruit for the project
Posi Track.png
Welcome Bobcat T140 posi track :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blutoy
Avid Poster

Unread post by blutoy » May 4th, 2015, 11:51 am

heh Neat,
would loved to have come this time especially because of the significant date, but bugger, I have a clash of dates (again)
was all geared up to come this time around, but my young bloke is shifting house up in Bendigo, on the same weekend, :rolleyes: .
what's the new motor like in the 60?, keen to hear if it's a heap better :D
Blu

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 4th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Hey Blu,

That's a bugger mate, maybe next time.

The 2H is going well. I'm down from 30l - 100km with the 2F to 15l - 100km so that's a win :D Power wise? Well not much difference there, probably slower in fact. I've got a turbo to go on it but can't get near it - too many balls in the air atm...

blutoy
Avid Poster

Unread post by blutoy » May 4th, 2015, 5:35 pm

you have even made it onto the 4x4 earth site now,
http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?thr ... etc.35776/
my old 2H 60 was a bit of a slug too, but it would beat my ol' mates 2F off the line in a 50mt drag race, with 35".lol

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 4th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Wow cool! The word is getting out and that's exactly what we want!

Cheers mate :thumb:

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 4th, 2015, 6:12 pm

Blu that factsheet link that's on 4x4 Earth is 30 odd pages out of date. As I'm not a member on there would you mind putting it up for me?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/374 ... rbreck.pdf

blutoy
Avid Poster

Unread post by blutoy » May 5th, 2015, 11:01 am

all done Anthony, :thumb:

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 5th, 2015, 6:33 pm

Thanks Sean :thumb:

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 15th, 2015, 7:22 am

Just a reminder, tomorrow will be the 75th Anniversary that A4-4 Avro Anson went down that claimed 4 young lives. There'll be a ceremony at the memorial at 1:20 pm to commemorate the occasion.

All welcome.

Cheers

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 21st, 2015, 12:02 am

Saturday the 16th of May saw the track clearing group return to Mt Torbreck after we were last there in early November last year. This trip was a very special occasion as it was 75 years to the day that our country lost four men training to defend our nation so that we can live the lives that we lead today. As mentioned in my previous email, it was our intention to be at the memorial on this day so we could commemorate this occasion.

With some track clearing along the way, for which I will get into later, we arrived at the memorial at 1300hrs so we could be there in time for a small service and a minutes silence at 1320hrs which is the time that A-4 is thought to have gone down. In preparation of this service, the memorial was donned with 4 Australian flags and 4 Poppies to represent each of the men. This gesture was suggested and carried out by one our group members Andrew Mason who is also an ex Corporal in the RAAF and military historian.

After a few words were spoken and the Anzac Ode recited, at precisely 1320hrs 14 people stood with heads bowed to remember the four men who perished on board Avro Anson A4-4 call sign 8BNA of RAAF 14 Squadron;

- Pilot & Captain Flying Officer Anthony (Tony) Daniel aged 23 RAAF service # 243 had his ashes scattered from a plane over the Swan River in Perth. His official RAAF commemoration plaque is at Springvale Cemetery. Tony was survived by his fiancé Peggy

- Wireless Transmitter Operator Corporal Ivan Stowdor aged 26 RAAF service # 2474 is buried at Nailsworth Cemetery SA. . His official RAAF commemoration plaque is at the Sydney War Cemetery. Ivan was survived by his wife Nellie

- Fitter Corporal Herman (Fred) Sass aged 24 RAAF service # 2560 is buried at Karrakatta Cemetery in Perth. His official RAAF commemoration plaque is also there. Fred was survived by his wife Daphne.

- Fitter Corporal Francis (Frank) Hyland aged 27 service # 3515 is buried at Fawkner Cemetery Vic. His official RAAF commemoration plaque is also there. Frank was survived by his wife Eileen and 1 year old daughter Lorraine.

LEST WE FORGET

With the most important part of the weekend over it was back into the track clearing. For this trip we had a new gun recruit with more, strength & track clearing experience than everyone or any machine put together that has ever played a part on this project. The way we have been doing things over the last two years has considerably changed.

At the beginning of May I was approached by Alexandra local and the proprietor of Anvil Angus P/L in Acheron Stephen Handbury, asking if he could offer his services on the project. As with anyone that has approached members of the group offering to help, he was more than welcomed. The service that Stephen offered was to come in the form of his very own posi trac bobcat! I’m sure you all know what a bobcat is but what is a posi trac you ask? It’s a bobcat that has tracks instead of wheels (think army tank tracks) which makes it very agile on terrain such as the memorial walking track.

I can’t even begin to explain how incredibly generous Stephen’s offer was! To have it waiting on a trailer, (which he also registered in the week leading up to the trip so we could use it) fully fuelled on the Friday afternoon for our use for the entire weekend was simply AMAZING!! I was (and still am) completely blown away by Stephen’s generosity and his level of trust by handing over such an expensive piece of machinery to people that he has never met before! On behalf of the group and everyone that has been associated with our work over the last two years, a HUGE thank you to you Stephen for trusting and allowing us to use your bobcat.

As fortune would have it, we had a certified bobcat operator among us that made clearing 6 months of regrowth effortless. There were a few fresh trees down that we still had to clear with chainsaws, then the bobcat would come through and push it all to the side creating a well-defined path as it went. Ground obstacles such as small shrubs, stumps, rocks and general tree debris are now all but gone. Walking the track now in the condition that it is in has greatly decreased the risk to anyone getting injured or lost in their journey up to the memorial. The attached pictures speak for themselves.

To all that participated this weekend, Paul Fletcher, Andy Kelly, Michael Large, Tim Slade, Kevin, Ryan & Evan Desira, Andrew & Zach Mason, Mick Braybon, Shane Millard and Nick Dykes, your selfless efforts over the weekend are greatly appreciated.

Stay tuned in the coming days for a prequel to this trip.

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 21st, 2015, 12:07 am

The 75th Anniversary Ceremony
Copy of DSC04197.JPG
Copy of DSC04192b.jpg
Copy of DSC04205.JPG
Copy of DSC04203b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 21st, 2015, 12:10 am

Copy of DSC04172.JPG
Copy of DSC04181.JPG
Copy of DSC04185.JPG
Copy of DSC04189.JPG

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 21st, 2015, 12:14 am

Remember that monstrous Mountain Ash tree a few pages back? When we cut it last year we allowed enough for walkers to get through - now the game has changed we had to get the bobcat through
IMG_0978.JPG
Copy of DSC04209.JPG
Copy of Bobcat 1.jpg
Copy of Bobcat 3.jpg
Copy of Bobcat 2.jpg
Last edited by Neat 60 on May 21st, 2015, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 21st, 2015, 12:18 am

Look what only one scrap with the bobcat has done!!
Copy of 8.jpg
Copy of 15.jpg
Copy of 13.jpg
Copy of 33.jpg

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 23rd, 2015, 10:58 am

Another Artworkz publication on our work

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/374 ... SH_120.pdf

Also DELWP (formally DSE & DEPI) have realised a media notification to various media outlets

http://www.delwp.vic.gov.au/news-and-an ... o-lost-men

https://www.facebook.com/DELWPHume

Please get on the Facebook page and like it and share it around. We really need to get the word out there of the memorials existence because apart from what I and Artworkz have been putting out there it is very little known about.

Cheers

Return to “Victoria”