Mt Terrible Hut destroyed

ado_26
Here and there

Mt Terrible Hut destroyed

Unread post by ado_26 » December 19th, 2012, 11:25 am

Just recieved a text message from a mate telling me about the Mt Terrible Hut burning down so i thought i would post this link for anyone interested.. :cry:

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/articl ... -news.html

pickle
Admin

Re: Mt Terrible Hut destroyed

Unread post by pickle » December 19th, 2012, 12:06 pm

You cannot percieve the mentality of someone deliberately burning down that hut. As one of the volunteers that has helped restore a hut in another area you certainly get a sense of pride of what can be done by a group of volunteers in keeping some of our heritage in the bush. High Country Huts Association I believe was working on or had in conjunction with the Nissan 4WD Club done a fair bit of work on this hut during this year. I was up there ealier this year and saw the damage by vandals first hand and it just saddens you why anyone would destroy these huts scattered around the Vic High Country.
From what I hear the people involved were caught and I hope the full extent of the law comes down on them.
Dave
2001 Challenger with bits and peices of goodness.
And of course 'Pajeropoint' for the Mitsu fans.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/306179409472332/

Zam
Avid Poster

Unread post by Zam » December 19th, 2012, 12:54 pm

Hopefully you're right and these d*#kheads were/are caught and punished with the full extent of the law not that i am holding my breath for anymore then a slap on thw wrist....

ado_26
Here and there

Unread post by ado_26 » December 20th, 2012, 9:19 am

Yeah i do agree totally, and from what i have heard also they do have leads on who was there etc.. I must admit we have done a few trips up there this year and seeing it being fixed up, each time better than the one before was good, then to hear that news was a very disappointing. The huts are not only a piece of history they do serve a purpose and if some d@#k finds it entertaining to burn them down, whether it be accidental or not, then i hope that they find themselves stuck out in the bush overnight next to a destroyed hut, sleeping in their vehicles when they could have been in the hut, with a fire to keep warm... Hopefully justice is served....

OffRoadDave
Need to get out more

Unread post by OffRoadDave » December 20th, 2012, 9:08 pm

Very disappointing, loved stopping there for a coffee while checking out the view on the many day trips I've done through there.
Aussie Tool Boxes

GXL4X4
Been here a while

Unread post by GXL4X4 » December 23rd, 2012, 7:32 pm

Well, what I heard is that there were people camping there who had a fire inside, a log fell out of the fire, and the hut caught alight - that's just what I heard tho. I got an email from DSE telling me the hut was burnt down and they were having a meeting this last week to discuss what they are going to do with it. I sent an email back saying there are a lot of people and clubs that want it rebuilt, so I will wait to see what email Inget back. My Association, Victoria Huts and Yarra Valley 4x4 Club, went up before winter to repair the hut; we put 4 new poles in at the front, fixed the verandah, & pulled all the cement sheeting off the walls inside (there wasn't much left anyway.) The plan was to fully rebuild it during spring and summer, but now it's burnt to the ground I don't know what they will do. Now it's not there,it might be easier to rebuild it.

Cheers

Chris

TroopiePete
Need to get out more

Unread post by TroopiePete » December 23rd, 2012, 7:56 pm

Maybe you could get assistance from 4WD Action and clubs around Vic or even Australia for that matter to rebuild it from the Ground up, keep it simple and possibly this time build a fire barrier around it, maybe even make much of the shed out of fire retarded materials.

I am yet to travel in the Vic High Country but staying in huts like this would be the highlight of the trip, it would be a shame for this to no longer be available.

Personally old buildings like this, while impressive are often fires waiting to happen so maybe in the long run this will be a positive thing lets hope Vic Parks don't make it too hard for you to move forward.
Peter Richens - VK4FSD
HF Radio club - 4115
River City 4WD Club - President 2010 - 2014 http://www.rivercity4wdclub.net

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 1st, 2016, 9:41 am

The plan was to fully rebuild it during spring and summer but now it burnt to the ground i dont know what they will do now it not there it be easier to rebuild it.
Watch this space ;)

nilla60

Unread post by nilla60 » May 1st, 2016, 8:06 pm

Sure will watch this space. Have a colleague involved with KHA and the work they do and the conditions they do it under are pretty amazing.

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » May 2nd, 2016, 6:51 am

Last edited by Neat 60 on May 3rd, 2016, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » May 2nd, 2016, 3:35 pm

Well here is hoping, and Wayne is a good operator!
Dave
2001 Challenger with bits and peices of goodness.
And of course 'Pajeropoint' for the Mitsu fans.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/306179409472332/

madcow
Been here a while

Unread post by madcow » November 30th, 2016, 8:25 am

Bit of a shame! it was an awesome spot to stay with a magnificent view right from the front door.

found an old shot of it

Neat 60
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Neat 60 » December 1st, 2016, 2:03 pm

Nice shot - that's pre the 2008 resto.

madcow
Been here a while

Unread post by madcow » January 5th, 2017, 7:21 am

It is currently being rebuilt and should be finished by now. We dropped in there mid December on our way trekking to Licola via Mt skene

madcow
Been here a while

Unread post by madcow » January 5th, 2017, 7:59 am

Return to “Victoria”