View topic - Billy Goat Bluff Track

Billy Goat Bluff Track

Been here a while

Billy Goat Bluff Track

Here's one for the adventurous 4Wheeler. If you have gained a little experience and are ready to take the next step then this track is for you. It also takes you up to the Pinnacles for a fabulous view. It also boasts one of my all time favourite easy getaways only a couple of hours from Sale (trust me it's close enough to do a run home and be back by dark). Horseyard Flat is just off the Moroka Road.

Billy Goat Bluff Track offers scenic views and a mixture of driving conditions including some steep grades and rocky sections. The track at times is refreshed and some sections become slippery when wet. Allow 1 hr each way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by OzDrew70 on April 13th, 2012, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postby OzDrew70 » May 8th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Been here a while

Re: Billy Goat Bluff Track

OzDrew70 wrote:Here's one for the adventurous 4Wheeler. If you have gained a little experience and are ready to take the next step then this track is for you. It also takes you up to the Pinnacles for a fabulous view. It also boasts one of my all time favourite easy getaways only a couple of hours from Sale (trust me it's close enough to do a run home and be back by dark). Horseyard Flat is just off the Moroka Road.

Billy Goat Bluff Track offers scenic views and a mixture of driving conditions including some steep grades and rocky sections. The track at times is refreshed and some sections become slippery when wet. Allow 1 hr each way.

Try the Castle hill track which leads to McDonalds track and that tacks you to the Dargo road. Don't do it while it's wet though. Diff locks recommended
If it wasn't for time. Everything would happen all at once!

Unread postby The-Bandicoot » May 8th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Avid Poster

Castle hill track, Junction spur track, Scrubby creek track and now when you ford the Wonangatta river you take Gibraltar rock track back up to Wonangatta road then around to Billy Goats. Nice big loop and a great drive. If you go in reverse to how Iv`e listed. Scrubby Creek track is on par with Billy Goats for a climb. The Fording of Wonangatta river is fairly deep, but a easy in and out. There is a hut on the Wonangatta road side of the river crossing to check out.
Cheers D Hall

Unread postby D Hall » May 9th, 2011, 9:50 pm

Here and there

Yep Horseyard Flat is a great spot for a weekend away, I'm planning on heading up there next weekend.

Unread postby unsub » May 13th, 2011, 6:30 am

Been here a while

I'm extremely envious. I wish I was back in Victoria exploring more of the high country. There are so many tracks to explore with that special camp sight along them somewhere.

Unread postby OzDrew70 » May 14th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Been here a while

Billy Goats is a great track. Horseyard Flat may be a great place, just not at Easter as I found out this year, packed out. How was `Macalister`, the drop dunny, was very smelly at Easter.
We came in via Trails track & Castleburn Creek track from Dargo. Very steep track, but fun.

Unread postby Muddy Dazza » May 16th, 2011, 10:22 pm

Admin

Doing it over Queens Birthday. Up Billy Goat and back around through Castleburn etc. Some great tracks in that area.
Dave
2001 Challenger with bits and peices of goodness.
And of course 'Pajeropoint' for the Mitsu fans.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/306179409472332/

Unread postby pickle » May 17th, 2011, 6:04 am

Getting to know the place

Hey fellas, a mate has just told me that Billy Goats is closed! Is this true? As I was hoping to visit during the Queens Bday weekend..

Unread postby Cuzzo » May 30th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Seasonal road closures are here:
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1process_ ... page=8#Sea

Closed from: 30/5/2011 to 28/10/2011
- Bluff Track

So it looks like you just missed it.

Unread postby nilla60 » May 30th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Admin

nilla60 wrote:Seasonal road closures are here:
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1process_ ... page=8#Sea

Closed from: 30/5/2011 to 28/10/2011
- Bluff Track

So it looks like you just missed it.

That would be Bluff track not Billy Goat Bluff. As far as I am aware Billy Goat Bluff is not subject to seasonal Rd closures.
Dave

Unread postby pickle » May 31st, 2011, 6:32 am

Been here a while

Billy Goat Bluff Track is a seasonal track and if Parks Victoria choose to close it earlier than the usual Queen's Birthday long weekend due to poor weather then so be it. But it usually closes after the Queen's Birthday long weekend.

Unread postby OzDrew70 » May 31st, 2011, 9:05 pm

Avid Poster

OzDrew70 wrote:Billy Goat Bluff Track is a seasonal track and if Parks Victoria choose to close it earlier than the usual Queen's Birthday long weekend due to poor weather then so be it. But it usually closes after the Queen's Birthday long weekend.

Hi guys,

Dave is right..Billy Goat Bluff Tk is not affected by the seasonal track closers.Its open all year round..
I drove Bluff Tk on the weekend & yes it will be closed as of Queens Bday weekend until the 30th of Oct...Bluff Tk is no where near Billy Goat Bluff Tk.

For anyone heading to Dargo for the Queens Bday wkend here is the Parks Vic Office number..give them a call & they will tell you all you need to know about what tracks are open & whats not...03-51401243..These guys are awesome & very helpfull.

Cheers Batesy.

Unread postby Tim B » May 31st, 2011, 11:01 pm

Admin

OzDrew70 wrote:Billy Goat Bluff Track is a seasonal track and if Parks Victoria choose to close it earlier than the usual Queen's Birthday long weekend due to poor weather then so be it. But it usually closes after the Queen's Birthday long weekend.

Yeah :)

Thanks Tim, good reply!
Dave

Unread postby pickle » June 1st, 2011, 7:36 am

Avid Poster

pickle wrote:

Yeah :)

Thanks Tim, good reply!
Dave

Cheers Dave..

Batesy..

Unread postby Tim B » June 1st, 2011, 8:32 am

Been here a while

For those not familiar with Billy Goat Bluff Track there is a seasonal gate on the North Eastern side of the track (Dargo side) on Wonnangatta Road and a gate on Marathon Road coming in from the Briagolong side prior to reaching Moroka Road.
I have no doubt there are other tracks enabling you to get to Billy Goat Bluff track coming from the Briagolong side, but I haven't explored those options (yet) and certainly not during seasonal closures and unless you go around the gate coming off Wonnangatta Road, there is no other way from the base.
See the Parks Vic Info & Map
http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/resources05/05_0516.pdf
You'll notice the gate on Marathon Rd in the map (where it says Horseyard Flat), but there is not one shown at the base (where the track meets the Rd above where it says The Pinnacles), but believe me there is.
Trust me, if this track was open all year round, I'd be up camping at Horseyard Flat all year round.

Unread postby OzDrew70 » June 1st, 2011, 8:28 pm

Next

Return to Victoria