7 day High country trip

cewilson
Been here a while

Re: 7 day High country trip

Unread post by cewilson » January 21st, 2011, 9:18 pm

Reading your report, it looks like you were a couple of hours ahead of us on the Cobberas Trail. We met the riders at the river - one of them came of coming down the hill just before the river itself.

BTW I won't mention that I did the whole track on open diffs because my compressor died a few days before! :p

My trip report is at: http://cewilson.offroader.com.au/?p=928 if you are interested.

Cheers
Chris

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » January 22nd, 2011, 10:12 am

Hi cewilson

Great trip report, you've done really well to get up & down that stuff with out lockas.
I think we passed your group on the corner of Ingeegoodbee tk & Snowy river rd (we were coming back from the boarder), witch put us just in front of you to the old school at Suggan buggan. Did you see us at the school? My mate had pushed on, so it was just my troopy there. Im yet to do Bindaree falls, Monument tk & Blue rag tk, but I plan on changing that soon. All the other tracks Iv done at some point, (lol) even the back way to Tolmie (I have friends up there). The Rose river rd has a track just pass Bennies camp called Wild horse gap tk running of it, witch joins on to Burnt top tk, this takes you to Pineapple flat camp ground. I don't no if a camper would fit, but I have no experience with them. It is a very long & isolated track but it's well worth a look. Otherwize you can keep going to Cobbler lake or Abbeyard. I hope to see you out there. :thumb:

cheers

Tomac
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

cewilson
Been here a while

Unread post by cewilson » January 22nd, 2011, 7:30 pm

I remember the vehicle at the school. We stopped for a quick dip at the bridge and that was where I said bye to the other guys - I headed to Albury from there where I fixed my air compressor and got lockers back for the last trip I just finished.

The camper trailer will pretty much go anywhere the vehicle will. Limitations are pretty much that any climb or drop requires a gear lower than you'd normally do it in; and the turning circle for switchbacks. I tend to find that the major limitation is me as the driver moreso than the vehicle and trailer's capabilities.

Cheers
Chris

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » January 23rd, 2011, 8:32 pm

cewilson wrote:
The camper trailer will pretty much go anywhere the vehicle will. Limitations are pretty much that any climb or drop requires a gear lower than you'd normally do it in; and the turning circle for switchbacks. I tend to find that the major limitation is me as the driver moreso than the vehicle and trailer's capabilit
By the sounds of it, you'd be fine on Wild horse tk. Most of the stuff up there is in pretty good condition. I haven't done the Staircase on Cobbler lake tk yet, but it's got a bit of a reputation. I should be out that way in a month or so.

cheers
Tomac
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Corindi

Unread post by Corindi » January 23rd, 2011, 8:51 pm

Great trip report Tomac, thanks.
www.BillabongFurniture.com.au

Tim B
Avid Poster

Unread post by Tim B » January 25th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Hi mate,

The Staircase that you mention on the Cobbler lake Tk isnt there any more.It was bulldozed about 12mths or more ago.The track from Lake Cobbler down to the King River at the old King Hut site is fairly easy.Just a couple of rocky sections but nothing like the old Staircase.

Cheers Tim.

vk1dx
Part of the furniture

Unread post by vk1dx » January 26th, 2011, 7:39 am

Travis22 wrote:Looks like a lovely trip Tomac,

Butcher looks to be in very good condition.

You left out the bit where you dropped into a mates place after completing the sections through the Alpine National Park to pickup your furry friend before continuing on through the State Forest around Dargo :p

Travis.
I searched and I couldn't find it either. We get up there a lot and have seen our share of wild dogs and what they do to neighbouring sheep at the parks edges.

It's similar to another thread that was complaining about people ignoring the rules. I think one post mentioned that all agree that the rules are there for a good reason but a lot of people cannot read or just think they have a good reason to say they do not apply to them.

They're a weird mob alright.

Apart from the dog oversight it is an excellent report and top photos. The brumby photos were the best I have seen for ages. I bet that was a real buz. Next time you may think about doing as we do and get the pets minded. We pay the kids next door to drop in twice daily to feed and play with them. The pets get company and the kids get pocket money. And the parks are protected.

Phil

cewilson
Been here a while

Unread post by cewilson » January 26th, 2011, 12:43 pm

vk1dx wrote:
Travis22 wrote:You left out the bit where you dropped into a mates place after completing the sections through the Alpine National Park to pickup your furry friend before continuing on through the State Forest around Dargo :p
Apart from the dog oversight it is an excellent report and top photos. The brumby photos were the best I have seen for ages. I bet that was a real buz. Next time you may think about doing as we do and get the pets minded. We pay the kids next door to drop in twice daily to feed and play with them. The pets get company and the kids get pocket money. And the parks are protected.

Phil

Phil I suggest quietly that you read the comment again. Never at any stage did her take his dog into the National Park, only the State Forest where you are allowed to have your dog.

Sometimes it's worth reading something a few times before having a stab at someone, so you have the story right ;)

vk1dx
Part of the furniture

Unread post by vk1dx » January 26th, 2011, 7:12 pm

cewilson wrote:Phil I suggest quietly that you read the comment again. Never at any stage did her take his dog into the National Park, only the State Forest where you are allowed to have your dog.

Sometimes it's worth reading something a few times before having a stab at someone, so you have the story right ;)
I did read it and he said:
So about 6ks in we camped at place called the Playground,
. Right under the quote is a photo showing the dog NOT on a leash at The Playground. A place I know well and have camped there. Not only do we have to look out for "meadow cakes" we also have to be careful of dog droppings.

The Playgrounds is in the Alpine National Park. Its on the Cobberas Track near Rams Head Range. It's at 36 deg 52' S and 148 deg 09 min E. Check again.

Wrong!!!

Phil

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » January 27th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Hi mate,

The Staircase that you mention on the Cobbler lake Tk isnt there any more.It was bulldozed about 12mths or more ago.The track from Lake Cobbler down to the King River at the old King Hut site is fairly easy.Just a couple of rocky sections but nothing like the old Staircase.

Cheers Tim.

Bugger, Im spewin now, I should've done when I had the chance.

thanks for the Heads up

cewilson
Been here a while

Unread post by cewilson » January 27th, 2011, 7:12 pm

vk1dx wrote:I did read it and he said:
So about 6ks in we camped at place called the Playground,
. Right under the quote is a photo showing the dog NOT on a leash at The Playground. A place I know well and have camped there. Not only do we have to look out for "meadow cakes" we also have to be careful of dog droppings.

The Playgrounds is in the Alpine National Park. Its on the Cobberas Track near Rams Head Range. It's at 36 deg 52' S and 148 deg 09 min E. Check again.

Wrong!!!

Phil

My apologies Phil - I didn't pick up on that :o

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » January 27th, 2011, 9:31 pm

The dog normally only comes on a 1 or 2 day trip that wouldn't include nat park, but the kennels we use were booked out for months (october to feb) before the trip was planned. Yes, we tried else were with the same result, for some reason, this year all of the kennals were full or pre booked. Having a friend do it is not an option, as cattle dogs are dangerous with out their owner. I hate it when people don't pick up after their dog, it really pisses me off, because, I always clean it up. Well after seeing first hand what damage the Brumbies hard feet do, I didn't think it would hurt to throw the stick a few times for her, before tying her back up. Im assuming that the no dogs policy is their because, as usual, at some stage, someone ruined it for the rest of us. Jindi spent 95% of the trip like thisImage
The only other run she had was in state park next to Crooked river.
Sorry for offending & stirring up a hornets nest, :o It wont happen again, I understand your just looking out for every ones interest, but you can't denie, that the biggest damage caused to the enviroment is from......HUMANS. Sad but true.

Iv been riding down hill & cross country mountain bikes for over 10 years, & over the years most of the rangers & hikers I have met are very supportive, but not all of em. One ranger told me that my tyres carry a fungie disease & I shouldn't ride here, but his OK with walkers, who most likely dont wash their shoes after every hike. Then Thredbo was denied a 2nd down hill course because of the impact on the enviroment, you no, flowers, grass, clearing a tree here & there, for a 6 inch wide track. A 2nd track is needed to let the 1st track rest for a few years to rejuvnate, but the hippies said NO, yet its OK to have thousands of trees cleared for a ski run? Don't get me wrong, Im not having a go at hikers, skiers, rangers or greenies, after all, their just trying so save &/or enjoy the Australian bush. Any way my point is where do you draw the line, there's allways going to be some one who complains. If you carn't ride a 18kilo bike with 2 inch wide tyres, that makes no sound & blows no smoke, then what can ya do. The only reason we can 4wd & ride motor bikes in the BEST country in the world, is because so many of us stick together. Lets keep it that way :thumb:
Last edited by Tomac on January 29th, 2011, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

vk1dx
Part of the furniture

Unread post by vk1dx » January 28th, 2011, 12:46 pm

cewilson wrote:My apologies Phil - I didn't pick up on that :o
Mate Your not the only one. I have been known to get it wrong. Weeeeellll rarely but yes.

Catchyalatr

Phil

Daz1010
Been here a while

Unread post by Daz1010 » April 6th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Great trip report mate some awsome pics, Im planning a trip down that way in jan 2013 with some friends of ours and dragging the campers and hopeing to do some of the tracks you mentioned.
Cheers Darren

THE BLOKE IN THE KNOW WILL GO FURTHER THEN THE BLOKE WITH THE KIT.

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » April 29th, 2012, 11:37 am

Daz1010 wrote:Great trip report mate some awsome pics, Im planning a trip down that way in jan 2013 with some friends of ours and dragging the campers and hopeing to do some of the tracks you mentioned.
thanks
You'll have a ball up there, its one of the best trips I'v done & I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Have a great trip

Return to “Victoria”