7 day High country trip

pickle
Admin

Re: 7 day High country trip

Unread post by pickle » January 10th, 2011, 4:11 pm

Any photos of Haunted Stream, I hear it pretty rocky through there now. Will be doing it in two weeks time.
Dave
2001 Challenger with bits and peices of goodness.
And of course 'Pajeropoint' for the Mitsu fans.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/306179409472332/

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » January 10th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Dawson city is a camp site at the very top of Haunted stream, following Haunted stream tk out has more than 50 river crossings & is one of the most insane trails Iv driven. I was scared s**tless when I looked to my drivers side to see a straight drop to the creek below. In some places it's rock thats been placed like brickwork that has stood the test of time. It's still overgrown till you pass Stirling tk & cross the creek one more time, now the valley is on the passenger side & is a little bit wider, but the occasional collapsed side keeps you from getting to comfotable.
The trail condition is generaly a lot better along this part. After this it was a easy but very steep climb up a fire break called Dhalstrom break to Angora range rd & onto the Great alpine rd to set up camp in the Swifts creek caravan park (& a well earned shower).
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » January 10th, 2011, 5:59 pm

pickle wrote:Any photos of Haunted Stream, I hear it pretty rocky through there now. Will be doing it in two weeks time.
Dave
It is very rocky in places but well worth it & was one of many highlites, I'd say it was busy at christmas, due to the amount of use on the trail. We didnt take many pics cos we had the handy cam going.

Sorry about all the finger prints on the pics, we didn't notice until half way through the last day. It pays to wipe the lense from time to time :o
Last edited by Tomac on January 17th, 2011, 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » January 10th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Thanks Tomactroop.
Looks a bit more overgrown since I was last there.
Should be fun!
Dave

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » January 10th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Day 4; We got some brekkey from the Swifts creek bakery & started back along Alpine rd, turning right at Bindi rd & right again at Nunnong rd. Things got interesting at the top Mt Nugong(1418mts). A couple of ks back from the summit we stumbled upon this.
Its a cable winch set up for logging, just like axe men program, its the only one of its kind in Austrailia. It was built by the Washington steel works, I think its was made in the late 1800s but I carn't realy remember. It's mind blowing to see all the old pics on the info board. Now only a few more ks from here is the best hut I'v ever see... The Moscow villa.
Image This place is mad, its even got floor boards. Next stop is less than a 1k, another hut, Bentleigh plain hut. Its not as good as the villa but then that place has set the bar pretty high, still, its worth a look.ImageThere's two huts in this location but only one is pictured. Next stop is Nunniong plains via B.P.rd, Flinns rd & back on Nunnong rd, its around here that you start to see evidance of wild Brumbies. Image It's a strange place, you feel like your on private property(but your not) going through open gates, & theres horse poo every where, miles of it. On the map we had theres a hut some where but we didn't find it, so we moved on. Kept on chugging down Nunniong rd to Native cat tk.Image Here we stoped for a quwik break Image then we were off again. Native cat tk is a little over grown is places, this pic is at the start.Image Still seeing horse poo every where, got to the end, when't right on Limestone Black mountain rd & left on Cobberas tk where the DSE has a sign at the start saying its a double black dimond & all recovery gear & diff locks recomended. This is a very rough trail littered with rocks, low range country, only saw two 4wds leaving & they said they haddn't seen anyone. So about 6ks in we camped at place called the Playground, it's a flat high plain filled with swampy marshes & most of Australia's mozzies & flys seem to be there.Image Take note of the white fence in the back ground, that's to stop wild horses from grazing in that part, & a short walk half way to the fence, turn right & this is the view of Mt Cobberas in the sunset.ImageThe sun was almost over the hill when my mate said "look, horses", we didn't believe him at first but we checked any way, & bugger me this is what we saw.ImageImage
3 of them & the stallion put on a quwik show to say "Im the boss around here" by stomping his feet & snorting a couple of times, then they run to the hills. Now we we're concerned that a mob of them might accendently run in to the camp, thinking they must use the 4wd trails to get around. As it got darker we gathered more fire wood than usual, now I'v got to say my wife has a horse & I no the sound of them half as good as her, so at about 10pm in pitch black high country darkness, we heard the sound of thumping horse feet in the bushes behind us. Needless to say we s**t bricks, they must've been 10 - 15 mts in the bush, my mate gave the swag the boot in favour of the back of the car & we placed bright objects in front of our tent & I chucked all remaining wood on the fire. Then It took ages to get to sleep, because just befor bed we heard another snort from a stallion way off in the distance.
Day 5; I woke up first coz of the beer the night before, (if you no what I mean) grabbed the dog & when't out side, so Im standing next to the car & there they bloody are again, in the morning fog, grazing. So I put the dog in the troopy & got my wife, my mate soon notice that somethings going on too.ImageImageImageImageNow that we had got up nice & early(6am) we packed up & were on our way sooner than the other days, witch was just as well because there was some pretty crazy stuff coming up. Before we new it, we were out of the cars looking at ways to tackle the first steep chewed up decent. There's a lot of evidance of winching here, it had the typical deep left & right ruts with two semi buried large boulders on opposing angles in the center, after that the pitch flattened out just a little, but was littered with lots of lose random rocks, we took the left side with only the rear locked & it work a charm. This was followed with easy but very rough sections & a final easy steep decent to a creek, where there was two walkers camped about 20ks in from the start, we said hi & moved to the next creek to let the dog have a swim.
Image Now trail get so easy its almost tempting to switch to high range, after a while the trail meets Macfarlain flat tk. This is where a gate stops you turning left to get to the start of the mighty Murry river, so you have to go right. Its all good till just after you cross Ingeegoodbee river. Immediately after crossing its an aggresive climb with a right corner followed by large rocks that have steps in front of them, to make matters worse if you look out your driver side window you can see the sharp drop to the river that you just crossed. My advise, 1st gear low, right foot to the floor & don't look out the window. There one more climb thats a little more freaky coming up after a short cruise along the ridge, this ones is maby a bit steeper with a bigger rock jamed on the right side, so you have to go left & that puts you out a off the side of the spur in the lose dust fighting for traction & you fleel like your hanging off the mountain. Phew its all over, not quite but after that the rest dosn't seem so bad. We stoped on a heliepad thats on Ingeegoodbee tk & had a yarn with 3 riders from Sydney.Image Then we came out on Snowy river rd, turned left for the sake of crossing the boarder.Image Had a look at the old school in Suggan Buggan.ImageThen took off for Mckilllops bridge where your see signs like this on the wayImageBecause the roads look like this( this was a good spot)Image& we finished at the bridge before heading home.ImageGot home at 12.10 & I carn't wait for the next one. The only damage was my front passenger side flair got hit by a stick & my fan belt for the air con disintergrated at Stratford, thats it.
Last edited by Tomac on January 11th, 2011, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Travis22
Avid Poster

Unread post by Travis22 » January 11th, 2011, 12:46 am

Magnificent trip mate, was off to a slow start (i thought your first post and photos were it) but now your cooking!

Couldnt have picked a better 'loop' through the high country but you guys must have been traveling all day every day :)

Not always a bad thing and i wouldnt say no but generally speaking each 'leg' of your trip we've done many times as individual trips lol!

Travis.

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » January 12th, 2011, 9:40 pm

Yeah, I kept getting called away or running out of time at the start. Yes, there was a lot of ks racked up, with a total of 1100 & about 600 off road, but time flyies when your having fun. 5 days when't pretty fast.

Im thinking about checking out Bindaree falls at the back of Mt Stirling soon, I'v never been there. Maybe start at Neerim then Walhulla, Woods point, Jamieson, Sheep yard, then go up Bulla for Corn hill & cut across to Stirling. It's just an Idea at the moment, & getting the time. Or instead of Neerim & Walhulla, start at Big river. I'll try to avoid long weekends up there, & find a gap in the weather too. Otherwize a day trip from Neerim to Rawson is always good, I do a lot of trail bike riding out there & I no the place backwards. When I get somthing solid I'll put up a new thred in Forum meet up, so any one can join in.

cheers
Last edited by Tomac on January 24th, 2011, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djs0276
Here and there

Unread post by djs0276 » January 15th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Awesome report Tomactroop.
I just love the high country.
Dirk

jay jay
Getting to know the place

Unread post by jay jay » January 17th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Hi Tom
We just did a similar trip last week in our troopy around that area. We did mcfarlanes track etc in the reverse way you did and had trouble getting up those rocks you slid down, we also have lockers and mtr's! Had to fill the holes with rocks to get clearance under the diff's. As you mentioned wild brumbies everywhere. The road into mc killops bridge is an interesting trip, narrow and dusty. Did you stop at Seldom Seen. Enjoy you troopy and see you on the tracks, we live in the same area you do.

cheers

jay

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » January 17th, 2011, 8:30 pm

Hi Jay

After we started the charged home, we did stop at Buchen, only to relize that the only thing open was the pub, as we didn't have time for a counter meal we pushed on to Bairnsdale & got KFC at about 8.30. We did slow down for a look at the old spookie servo at Seldom seen. Sounds like you had a good time.

I,v placed an invite for anyone, in the Forum meet up section. For the moment, Im just planing a day trip, or send me a PM.

Cheers

Tomac
Last edited by Tomac on January 19th, 2011, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

allan mac
Been here a while

Unread post by allan mac » January 18th, 2011, 5:55 pm

Fantastic report & am planning to get up that way & do a number of the tracks you did, including Haunted Stream BUT;

U said it was overgrown & judging by the pic it is badly overgrown... :eek: Whilst I can accept the odd scratch, I've just had my 4wd fully detailed & not interested in getting it covered in 'pinstripes' again. There was a comment on a youtube clip from someone who was up there a few weeks ago who said you will get a huge amount of scratches driving the track at the moment.. :(
I gather you are talking about the section heading east from Dawson City to Stirling towards the Great Alpine Rd.

Tomac
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Tomac » January 19th, 2011, 4:14 pm

That pic was taken about 100mtrs up hill from Dawson, & then we turned east.
I'd say the comment from you tube is spot on, most of the scratches on my car came from Haunted stream & Native cat. Native cat is no where near as bad as Haunted tho. I'v got 2 coats of clear on mine & the colour helps too.
Hope you have a good trip :thumb:

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » January 19th, 2011, 5:09 pm

Thanks for the info.
Dave

allan mac
Been here a while

Unread post by allan mac » January 19th, 2011, 6:36 pm

Thanks for that; guess we just have a look when we get there. Maybe Pickles' group will clear them all away before we get there.... :D

will have the bow saw & maybe hedgecutters in the car, just in case... ;)

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » January 20th, 2011, 3:22 pm

That will be Monday for us Allan, big group this year where we usually camp.
Dave

Return to “Victoria”