North Straddie

Eleve
Here and there

North Straddie

Unread post by Eleve » July 5th, 2015, 7:28 am

G'day, I am going to try and post some of our week on holidays at the beautiful North Straddie. We got here yesterday after a smooth trip on the barge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eleve
Here and there

Re: North Straddie

Unread post by Eleve » July 5th, 2015, 7:35 am

The Bride booked a holiday house at Amity Point. We're with family friends, so this place has two houses. The second house is more like a large one bedroom flat, with no kitchen, but I have ta say it's perfect. On the water and really great for two families which includes four kiddos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eleve
Here and there

Unread post by Eleve » July 5th, 2015, 8:24 am

This is the view from the deck. A beautiful morning at Amity. The brim were hitting last night, until the Dolphins turned up wanted some action and it all came to a quick end.

Eleve
Here and there

Unread post by Eleve » July 5th, 2015, 1:38 pm

This mornings family outing was the Point Lookout markets which wasn't the best markets we've been too but any local community event is always worth a look, and at the end I ended purchasing a hand knitted beany for the bride.

Eleve
Here and there

Unread post by Eleve » July 5th, 2015, 9:09 pm

So after lunch we tried our hand at fishing again where we had a ball bringing in tailer. Though all a bit small to keep, it kept everyone entertained.

Mid afternoon we decided to go for a drive along Flinders beach. I have to say it was beautiful, with crystal clear water and a fresh little wave at the headland for the kids to have a surf.

Eleve
Here and there

Unread post by Eleve » July 6th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Monday, you just can't beat not being at work. Today was a bit of a drive day, a few tracks and mainly along main beach from Point Lookout to Jumpinpin.

Eleve
Here and there

Unread post by Eleve » July 6th, 2015, 5:02 pm

What a beautiful day, though the island is very quiet. Camp grounds are very quiet, therefore so are the beaches and tourist spots. Some of the locals seem to blame the barge operators with the fare hike and new rules. Anyway you can't beat this place for its pristine landscape and on Brisbane's back door.

(Anyone spot the roo)
Last edited by Eleve on July 15th, 2015, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eleve
Here and there

Unread post by Eleve » July 8th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Today was a bit of a chill out day. However yesterday we did the boardwalk at Point Lookout. It's absolutely a must. There were a pod of whales no further than 200 meters offshore. I didn't get any photos but got some footage which I'll post later.

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 8th, 2015, 5:48 pm

How cold is it? Its almost freezing up here. Or was until I heard the temps way down south, LOL.

Does look nice, I have to head over there one day, I keep saying it, but have yet to do it.

Eleve
Here and there

Unread post by Eleve » July 9th, 2015, 9:59 am

It's great short and tshirt weather during the day, and you do need to rug from late afternoon, though it's abut cooler now in between showers.

Duke1340
Been here a while

Unread post by Duke1340 » July 9th, 2015, 6:34 pm

Hi,

What are the barge costs now and what are the new rules that you spoke of, it's been a number of years since I've been there, must get back again soon.

Cheers
Rod (Duke)
"Adventure Before Dementia"

Gary_M
Been here a while

Unread post by Gary_M » July 9th, 2015, 10:26 pm

I saw in the paper the other day barge can be $50 each way, not sure if theres better deals or not, was Saturdays Courier Mail I think.

I recently heard something about new rules, it had something to do with 4x4 are not soft roaders, or soft roaders arent 4x4s. Theres a ban on some types of soft roaders due to Im guessing problems with them getting stuck, but only on certain beaches or stretches of beach, the rest of the Island is still Ok I think. Or something like that. I seem to recall a discussion that certain for sure 4x4 fit the description of not proper 4x4 etc so who decides and that sort of thing...

Eleve
Here and there

Unread post by Eleve » July 10th, 2015, 1:25 pm

To be honest I don't know what the old rules and prices were but it costs us $140 return for the Patrol (with trailer is more).

Eleve
Here and there

Unread post by Eleve » July 10th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Yesterday we went for a drive which was the tripod track. All tracks that branch of were closed off.

Eleve
Here and there

Unread post by Eleve » July 10th, 2015, 1:44 pm

You can see the remnants of the bush fire from a couple of years ago but the undergrowth is healthy.
The track was easy drive, and could be done by any standard 4wd.

Return to “Queensland”