What's happened to Townsville!

Nudarider
Getting to know the place

What's happened to Townsville!

Unread post by Nudarider » November 28th, 2014, 10:27 am

OK its been awhile since I last did any 4wheeling locally in Townsvile but have done a bit in the past. Last night I went with a friend that's brand new to wheeling and took him to some of the old trails. To our disappointment every area that I have been on before is now signed closed! Almost everywhere hosts fines and penalitys for treaspassing on the land. What is happening is the councile trying to wrap us all in cotton wool could it be possible all these areas are now owned by someone? What can be done to reopen these areas? Who do we talk too? Has anyone ever had an area successfully had an area reopened to the public???

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: What's happened to Townsville!

Unread post by hoyks » January 25th, 2015, 1:45 pm

It is like everywhere, a few go and flog the area to death and ruin it for everyone else.

Years ago i used to often go to Ollera creek. I dropped in on the way past last year and it was trashed. The crystal clear creek wasn't any more, there were extra tracks into the creek bed and all over the flats, fences were cut etc.

I used to drive all around the Bohle and Kirwin, but that is all houses now.

offroadxtrail
Here and there

Unread post by offroadxtrail » April 14th, 2015, 3:42 pm

Bushland Beach/Burdell have some "dirt" areas/tracks...i wouldn't exactly call them crazy 4WD stuff though. Some are marked as closed off/private property, other are a "grey zone" as far as i'm concerned :) Bohle/Mt Lousia are very similar situation. That said, the local police have a fancy little quad/buggy they often rip around these areas in.
I was at Ollera the other week, only followed the main track to the beach, setup a picnic/camp with the family. It was in pretty good condition (the xtrail got through so it had to be!). Would like to go back and explore some of the side tracks, although i've heard that some of them are ripped up quite badly
Driving north from Townsville there are quite a few dirt tracks off to the right of the hwy, unsure where these lead to though. And i've heard there is a track that runs from Blue Water to Paluma (or Herveys Range i can't remember), it's supposed to be tough/over grown/lots of potential for damage. I've only heard rumours about that one though so don't know much else.
Keelbottom creek is still open as far as i know, haven't been there at all so don't know what conditions are like at all.
Dahlberg i is currently closed to the public as the owner of the land finally cracked it at people going in ripping up areas they weren't supposed to be in and leaving rubbish all around. i think Townsville 4WD club was going to try and organise something with the owner...Bit's and pieces i hear off bookface :)
Bowhunters was closed off by way of piling a whole heap of dirt at the entrance, but there is still access in from my understanding.

They're the places i can think of off the top of my head in the "direct" Townsville area...anyone got more to add to the list?
Family x-trail...big toy awaiting

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » May 3rd, 2015, 7:41 am

Only been living for about 4 months here so still reasonably new to the area.. If you look on FB for Townsville 4WD stuff you can see pretty quick why the place is getting locked up by government and local owners. And really, 4WDing around here mainly consists of finding a mudhole, and go through it 20 times..

Having said that, we did the Simpson and the Vic High Country so my expectations might be a little high :)

offroadxtrail
Here and there

Unread post by offroadxtrail » May 7th, 2015, 5:27 pm

If you're willing to travel a bit there's some good trails down at Mackay/Prosepine and North up at Cairns/Daintree/Atherton. Then obviously there's the Tele Track

i'm going to try to do a bit of a "tour" along part of the Savanah Way in the next 12 months, make some form of big loop. but only having a soft roader i'm kinda stuck to...well, soft-roading! :)
Family x-trail...big toy awaiting

Return to “Queensland”