1990 Cape York Crossing would you be game

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

1990 Cape York Crossing would you be game

Unread post by TLC60S » November 14th, 2014, 10:54 am

Hi guys & gals I have managed to get a photo of when my uncles were doing the Telegraph Track on their around Australia trip. I was told the story about this particular crossing & now I have a photo to show you & tell the story. My uncles are now passed away so from memory it was the crossing of the Wenlock River I was told.

They were travelling in convoy of 3 Landcruisers , two 60 series & a Troopy when they reached the river crossing .

First problem
You have to float your 4wd across on a flimsy looking raft.

Second problem
The last people to cross left the raft on the other side.

Solution
Just swim across & drag it back.

Third problem
This river has Saltwater crocs .

Solution
My uncles say to my aunties they will have to swim across cause there could be man eating crocs in the river.
So my aunties start to walk in then stop , turn around & say " how do the crocs know we are not a man & wont eat us ! "
Uncle replies " they would not call crocs man eaters if they eat women would they " not convinced my aunties walked back out.

Solution number two such that didn't work.
My uncles told me when your doing the Cape you always need a backup plan.
There next plan was to give my cousin a gun & standby to watch if there is a croc while they swim across.

Problem , but only by my cousin.
When my uncles started to walk into the river my cousin asked them " if I see a croc do I shot the croc I do I sot you ! being the comedian she is.
They turned straight around & yelled at her the bloody croc.
Cousin replied " don't yell at me , well I didn't know if you wanted me to shot the croc or you to put you out of your misery "

In the end my uncles did get across after much debate about whos 4wd was going on first. Uncle Ken lost that one cause Uncle Bert had the big winch & he said if Uncle Ken's 60 series fell off he could winch it back out.
IMG_0044.JPG
So who out there did use this raft or would be game to use it if it was still there. I guess now it is a part of the Cape York adventure that is lost in time.

Cheers TLC60S
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Re: 1990 Cape York Crossing would you be game

Unread post by hoyks » November 14th, 2014, 1:31 pm

I'd give it a go, but I have a crazy mate I take on trips like this that I would let swim across and get it.

The 'ferry' is still there, it is high on the northern bank at the Wenlock crossing.

Tony F8
Here and there

Unread post by Tony F8 » November 14th, 2014, 3:29 pm

The raft in question was used for a couple of years, we used it in 89, crocs weren't a big concern and in those days, Linda Rowe and her husband used to to have the Croc Shop on the northern bank. The wenlock was bridged in 2001 and has certainly made the access to the cape much easier. Other times we have spent 2 days waiting for the river hieght to drop, and twice we used a long cable, borrowed from Moreton station and a large snatch block and basically skull dragged the vehicles through. Agh the good old days.
Cheers.
TonyF8.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » November 14th, 2014, 10:06 pm

Hi hoyks & Tony F8
Do any of you guys have a photo of it in use ., I'm still going through my uncles photos trying to find one.
I know they made it cause I have found photos of them at the tip.

When I did the tele in 2007 we had lunch besides the bridge.

Cheers TLC60S

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » November 15th, 2014, 10:03 am

Sorry, none from me. I lived in north Qld for years but was always too busy or too broke to do The Cape trip.

Here is one from Wikimedia.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... odiles.jpg

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » November 15th, 2014, 12:29 pm

It looks stable enough hoyks

Cheers TLC60S

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » December 30th, 2014, 6:16 am

I was up the Cape working in 1990. It was a good wet that year. If you have any of les hiddens bush tucker man vids, the waterfall in the opening credits is actually Barron falls in the 89/90 wet - you just can't see any of the rocks or steps because it is continuous from top to bottom. I was helping his crew up there that day. The North exit of the wenlock had a nasty little dip just before you started to climb the bank which is why they built the raft. Most of it was ok.

Dr Dave
Here and there

Unread post by Dr Dave » January 12th, 2015, 12:18 pm

You've just answered my question GBC. After looking at the photo I was wondering, if they can walk the raft across, why can't they drive across? We do deeper crossings than that with no problems. I guess that nasty little dip was a stopper.
'85 Hilux 4Runner, 2.8 turbo diesel conversion, 2" lift, 1.5" body lift, 32" Bighorns, goes anywhere.

Return to “Queensland”