Bribie Island

d_homersimpson
I'm new, be nice!

Bribie Island

Unread post by d_homersimpson » November 4th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Took the family for a run along the beach on Sunday and can offer this word of warning - do not go until we get substantial rain.

We entered the beach and there wasn't too much trouble, a little on the soft side but handled quite adeptly. Spent a couple of hours on the sand then turned back to exit the beach about 3 hours after high tide to be greeted by the attached queue of cars.
bribie queue.jpg
The exit off the beach was beyond chewed up. It was like a bed of talcum powder. Everybody was getting stuck including monster trucks with V8 engines. The run off the beach was that long that people couldn't even get snatched off the beach. A Ford Territory was beached up to it's axles and had been abandoned in the middle of the track. Good Samaritans were helping to push cars out of the soft sand and to get others started again. It took us just on 2 hours to get off the beach, it took us 3 attempts and only for the good grace of the pushers did we actually make it.

But 2 things really pissed me off:
1. The people who were pushing in and not waiting their turn, everyone wants to get off the beach and a little patience makes everyone more bearable.
2. The spectators. Knob Jockeys who had decided to pull up their deck chairs and just sit there laughing and pointing at all the unfortunate people struggling to get off the beach. I am far from the most physically fit man and am in no physical condition to be pushing a car, yet I got out and helped about a dozen cars whilst I waited for my wife to try and get the bus off the beach. These are the sort of fools that need to be named and shamed, too bad I didn't have my camera as I was too busy helping people out. They should be outed on social media.

Anyway, enough of my rant.
bribie side.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snapcatcher
Part of the furniture

Re: Bribie Island

Unread post by Snapcatcher » November 4th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Sounds like every weekend in summer.

Ive seen that cutting as bad as it gets, and never been stuck there. People just don't know what they're doing.

I'm usually one of those people driving past the line up and carrying on with my trip home. Sometimes ill stop to drag people out if no one else is helping. The big line up occurs when fools get stuck, and then people just line up and wait instead of helping. I'm confident in my vehicle, experience and driving ability, to know I can drive past and not get stuck, and even stop in the powder to drag people out. I'm not lining up behind a bunch of vehicles because people don't know what they're doing, or shouldn't be there in the first place.
2005 Nissan Patrol 4.8, Sahara bar, Runva winch, 2' lift on 33' KM2s

Written off - NM Pajero on 33's and some other good bits
Build thread - http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79366

LordMayhem
Part of the furniture

Unread post by LordMayhem » November 4th, 2014, 6:12 pm

it all comes down to one thing......................air pressure. people need to learn to let there tyres down!
89 GQ Patrol, 35 inch Mud Trek's, dual batteries with 3 inch lift, front CIG locked, Barred up with a Mark 111 Grande 12000lb winch.

tdpete
Here and there

Unread post by tdpete » November 4th, 2014, 6:51 pm

Hahahahaha
What ever you do don't go to rainbow beach/ cooloola national park then I've on several occasions been up to tewantain rainbow and people sit at the exists waiting for people to get stuck just for a laugh and the barge line f@rk me we have waited 3 hrs to get to the barge and it takes 5 mins to cross it's the price you pay for getting out of the car and putting your feet onto the sand.

It's all part of the fun man hell if I see some one bogged and they have more than one car helping I'll sit back and watch if they are making absolutely no progress I might stick my 2 cents in but part from that if they have it under control no point throwing more opinions in the ring

Practice makes perfect if you are concerned about your off road ability look into gaining more experience sign up for a driver training course get back on the sand don't wait for the rain to come it will be worse then..

Ps I only looked at this thread because I'm heading u in 2 days time. So I'll tell you if as bad as you say..

boof
Need to get out more

Unread post by boof » November 5th, 2014, 6:33 am

No point getting pissed at the blokes having a laugh, I bet they enjoyed the beach exit more than you did. And as above half the problem is people with no idea or the one that irks me is crappy soft roaders thinking they can navigate the beach.

Just because they did it on a TV ad doesn't mean the vehicle can do it.
2014 FJ with a few mods

d_homersimpson
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by d_homersimpson » November 5th, 2014, 8:37 am

Surprisingly our soft roader coped just as well as the "proper" 4wd's.

We were running 20 psi, and in hindsight it was probably a little high for the conditions.

Next time we'll drop the pressure down to about 12psi and see how that goes.

boof
Need to get out more

Unread post by boof » November 5th, 2014, 4:24 pm

d_homersimpson wrote:Surprisingly our soft roader coped just as well as the "proper" 4wd's.

We were running 20 psi, and in hindsight it was probably a little high for the conditions.

Next time we'll drop the pressure down to about 12psi and see how that goes.
So low range, some extra height to stop you dragging your guts through the sand and 16psi wouldn't have made it any easier, no matter what way you slice it a soft reader doesn't have the necessary credentials when things like this pop up. Granted the right gear in the hands off the wrong person is no better but the wrong gear and some of the people using it is a disaster waiting to happen. Also I am not implying you are one these disasters waiting to happen
2014 FJ with a few mods

02-SR5
Need to get out more

Unread post by 02-SR5 » November 5th, 2014, 4:34 pm

I miss Bribie. Great fun watching "I know boats" idiots that wont listen to experience.

Like Snapcatcher, if there is a line up of idiots, I just cruise past and wait at the end to see if anybody needs a snatch.

Nuts sacks in their Subuaru's and X-trails that refuse to listen, we just cruise by and wave with a smile.

d_homersimpson
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by d_homersimpson » November 5th, 2014, 4:43 pm

02-SR5 wrote:Nuts sacks in their Subuaru's and X-trails that refuse to listen, we just cruise by and wave with a smile.
I think the problem was there was no guidance from people who do/should know better, and all the novices were left to their own devices.

If there was some expertise around I'm sure people would have listened, but no one was showing any leadership.

There were issues for all the vehicles, the soft roaders and the Landruisers/Patrols etc. Maybe drivers didn't know what they were doing?

But as I said, our Outlander coped just as well as the other 4wds

LordMayhem
Part of the furniture

Unread post by LordMayhem » November 5th, 2014, 7:21 pm

bahahahaha no the reason there was no one experienced offering advice is they have all tried it in the past and no one listens
89 GQ Patrol, 35 inch Mud Trek's, dual batteries with 3 inch lift, front CIG locked, Barred up with a Mark 111 Grande 12000lb winch.

djh14
Here and there

Unread post by djh14 » November 7th, 2014, 1:44 am

was there the other day. had no worries. theres always a line up if you leave when everyone else is and that first pic sure doesn't look like 3 hrs after high tide.

d_homersimpson
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by d_homersimpson » November 7th, 2014, 8:41 am

djh14 wrote: that first pic sure doesn't look like 3 hrs after high tide.
Sorry, typo. Should have read 3 hours after low tide

gupaul
Been here a while

Unread post by gupaul » November 9th, 2014, 3:56 pm

LordMayhem wrote:bahahahaha no the reason there was no one experienced offering advice is they have all tried it in the past and no one listens

Yep, totally agree.....and with a lot of these posts when it comes to Bribie. I have stopped, dragged a line up of cars through, waited, driven around and pulled up and watched at different times. Offered advice and been amazed at the people running 40psi that don't want to here about tyre pressures. Watched people join straps together with a shackle and shrug there shoulders when I told them they are putting everyone at risk, hell even been parked 10km down the beach and had someone borrow a snatch strap because no one in the line up even carried a strap.

I leave late these days, usually one of the last to leave the beach for this reason.
Sadly it seems that Bribie is the first place new to 4wding drivers go and with no research or preparation it usually ens in a carpark.

The lagoon can be quite entertaining when it flows into the ocean and creates a river crossing too haha :D
99 Gu 2.8L, 2" Lift, 33" Summit Mudhogs, twin locked,85% reduction gears 2.5 " Straight through exhaust, DP Chip, 12,000p Tigerz11 Winch, Long range tank

Abe DMAX
Here and there

Unread post by Abe DMAX » December 28th, 2014, 3:26 pm

Been up that access track a fair few times now and the only time I got bogged was because the bloke in front decided to take his foot of the juice and bog himself, It was my mistake, I was to close, dug out ourselves out and turned around and tried again and did it easy, like all the other times, 20psi and keep your foot into it.

Last week we wanted to get going at around 9am and that was high tide so we took the inland track back, good run and you bypass the craziness

GBC
Part of the furniture

Unread post by GBC » December 30th, 2014, 6:05 am

Nice whinge for a first trip up the beach. perhaps 4wding in the outlander isn't your 'thing' mate. Once you've rounded up your first few thousand bug eyed morons clogging up beach exits you learn to live with the jealous stares from the drivers and the wistful looks from their wives. The same crew who put ***** on you as a novice will one day raise their beers as you gently cruise through past the newbs. You'll get there. In the meantime try making sure you have proper recovery points on the wife's car so when you get stuck you won't have to leave it behind like the territory. And 16 psi on those low profile tyres is getting towards emergency cutting crossing only territory so maybe a compressor might be a good idea too.
Bribie is way too close to Brisbane and way too short of a beach for clowns to take seriously so high tyre pressures from lazy drivers ensures that cutting is chopped out pretty much all the time, but the good news is all the plastic skid plates and bumpers off the outlanders and other suvs are slowly joining up to make it a plastic highway.

Return to “Queensland”