Cape York 2014.

rossimo
Been here a while

Re: Cape York 2014.

Unread post by rossimo » January 16th, 2015, 9:58 pm

Good write up so far, I'm keen to head to the cape at some stage in the future. Got a kimberley trip planned this year and possibly a simpson crossing also. Will have to leave the cape for next year or so.

The pre booking of campsites I find interesting, do the campsites get that busy? I don't have an issue with paid campsites but like you find it difficult to know where you will be at the end of the day. When I went to the NT and caught up with a mate we had no real plan but travelled all across the state, or territory for that matter, based loosely off maps and we went where we wanted and stayed as long as we liked, it was a great way to go. Everywhere we went had paid campsites but you could go to one and go meh I don't like it here lets keep going and go somewhere else until you found something else. That sounds like it definitely can't be done up the cape way.

89 4runner
Here and there

Unread post by 89 4runner » January 17th, 2015, 9:49 am

Hey rossimo, I went up the cape in 2012 which was the first year the new pre-booking came in. All I did was call up a day or two in advance when I had a better idea of where I was going to stay and booked over the phone using a credit card. Most of the time I stayed at the roadhouses/private campgrounds and only really booked for old laura homestead and elliot falls. Some of the roadhouses can book the national park camping online for you also. From memory moreton telegraph station was one of the places that had that option which we used also.

If you are planning on staying around laura and the old homestead is booked out, check out Jowalbinna Bush Camp. We stayed there one night and it was a great little spot. It is near the old coach road to maytown also.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » January 17th, 2015, 10:10 am

I also did the cape in 2014. The pre-booking was a bit inconvenient as you couldn't just wing it. I booked a bunch of camps from home, but by the time I made it to Cairns the plan had changed.

But I did have a laptop and mobile internet dongle and you would be surprised at how many locations on the cape you have mobile phone and data access.... provided you are with telstra, anyone else, forget it.

Dr Dave
Here and there

Unread post by Dr Dave » January 17th, 2015, 7:28 pm

No, the campsites weren’t busy at all, but I suppose some could get that way occasionally. Some sites only had a couple of spots to set up and others had heaps. We found it easier to book at The Lure Shop in Cooktown and Moreton Telegraph Station as these people had travelled through the area before whereas the Parks office people hadn’t been there before. There was another place in Coen that used to do bookings but they stopped because of all the hassles with N.P. We had a laptop (to watch 4WD Action DVD’s :) ) but no mobile internet.

I did learn a little trick whilst sorting out the bookings ;) . N.P. only has control over campsites within the Parks. If you are outside the Park boundary they can’t touch you. In a lot of places the Park boundary is the track itself and the Park is on the right hand side, so if you camp on the left hand side of the track you are not in the N.P. Having a really good detailed map helped a lot with this as we found quite a few spots that were actually better outside the Park boundary. And yes, some of the roadhouses had good camp grounds to stay at, and they can cook dinner for you, and you can have a few drinks as well. This didn’t help much with the budget but I was well prepared to do this so it didn’t bother me. We were there to enjoy ourselves, not worry about things.

Also, ATM’s and card services are a bit thin on the ground up there so a stash of cash is quite handy to have. Even though you’re out in the bush, don’t let yourself get slack with security. You never know when an opportunist will sneak by unnoticed.
'85 Hilux 4Runner, 2.8 turbo diesel conversion, 2" lift, 1.5" body lift, 32" Bighorns, goes anywhere.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » January 19th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Thanks for the replies, doesn't seem as bad as I thought then. Still an annoyance but not the end of the world. Was just worried it might have to be all planned to a tee well in advance which isn't my cup of tea.

Dr Dave
Here and there

Unread post by Dr Dave » January 20th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Oh bugger, looks like I made a boo boo somewhere :irked: . All the photos have gone missing :redface: . Don't worry, I think I know what's happened. I got into my Photobucket library and did a bit of re-organizing. I can fix this but it will take a while before I get the time to sort out this problem. Please be patient folks, I'll get it done as soon as I can.
'85 Hilux 4Runner, 2.8 turbo diesel conversion, 2" lift, 1.5" body lift, 32" Bighorns, goes anywhere.

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » January 20th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Hurry up Doc, I'm waiting. lol

Otherwise I'll come round to your house and watch them.

BennyT50
BennyT50 - BT-50 SDX Dual Cab
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

Dr Dave
Here and there

Unread post by Dr Dave » January 21st, 2015, 3:49 pm

:lol: Might be better if you do come round Benny. It's a bit of a process to try and get these bloody videos to upload :irked: . I just don't have the patience to tolerate this rotten mongrel technology :urgh:.

Dr Dave
Here and there

Unread post by Dr Dave » January 21st, 2015, 4:19 pm

Hey, there we go! Got the first batch of photos replaced successfully :D .
The rest will follow when time allows.

Dr Dave
Here and there

Unread post by Dr Dave » January 23rd, 2015, 3:39 pm

Success! Got all the photos back in again :D .
I'll be back later with another update on the trip.

94 TURBO HILUX
Avid Poster

Unread post by 94 TURBO HILUX » January 24th, 2015, 10:43 pm

Hey Dave, my missus actually takes all the camp bookings across QLD. Actually, she took a blokes first ever camp booking last year. Aparantly he drives a green Landcruiser ;) haha.

She gets people every day winging about the new pre book system. She's complained to her bosses about it but they can't do anything about it either. So we're stuck with it. What she did say is you can pull up to a camp site like Elliot falls without a permit, just tell the ranger that the office had computer problems and they couldn't take your booking. But you will have to pay after you get home, I think they take your name. Or, do what were doing this year when we head up, just spend the day at the falls then camp a few creek crossings up the tele track. Your camping for free, and away from the popular spots.

hazza80
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by hazza80 » April 20th, 2015, 7:03 pm

It was just getting to the good bits! Any more updates?

dammit01
Here and there

Unread post by dammit01 » May 4th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Good to see an old girl making it up the cape and back without too many problems shows what maintanence can do

Spanner1969
Here and there

Unread post by Spanner1969 » July 21st, 2015, 2:45 pm

We just returned from the Cape trip last week after 3 weeks away. What a truly amazing place, definetley going back, the weather was fantastic, no rain for just over three weeks.
Some tips we used worked well, get up early and cross the water crossings before the gaggle behind you, this way most water crossings are not ripped up and you can see the bottom, we walked all water crossings to be sure. Get to the station campgrounds ( assuming you stay there ) early as they fill up just after lunch. pack in as much travel as you can do in one day do not over do it, as many others tried and had a long and expensive trip home after busted or drowned trucks.
Loyalty beach was beautiful, close to Bamaga for essentials if required. Elliot and Fruit balls must be on your to do list. Stop and visit as many local towns as you can, and spend some money, the meals we had at Archer river roadhouse (burger) large and around $13 was great.
Pack wisely to ensure you have enough gear/food to travel, the cost of supplies past Cooktown are somewhat more expensive and expected.
As for the total cost , fuel was $1800 return to ACT and probably spent all up around $4k including vehicle preparation.
A wonderful trip, enjoy some pics on the July photo competition.
Spanner :lol:
Spanner1969

Return to “Queensland”