The Creb and Bloomfield Tracks

muddy dan
Here and there

Re: The Creb and Bloomfield Tracks

Unread post by muddy dan » April 22nd, 2013, 7:37 pm

We leave Goulburn 15 june Mossman 18th and should be in Seisia 27/28th. 1276.3 hours (53 days) to go not that im counting

Yappa
Avid Poster

Unread post by Yappa » April 22nd, 2013, 8:41 pm

ayton is another top spot to stop. Closer than the lions den as it is only anout 5 k,s away from the north end of the creb. We stopped at the Ayton caravan park/camp grounds. We come up through the bloomfield track & Ayton is the next suburb /locality past wujul wujul from memory. Beautiful grassy camp areas, awesome camp kitchen& friendly service. Heading back from Ayton it's about a 5 min drive back to the track that takes you to the Creb....drive back towards wujul wujul with the river on your left & you get to a corner after the little shop with the happy wife happy life buy an ice cream signs. There are no signs but it is a gravel track on the right hand side that you turn into & immediately starts climbing up a fairly steep hill. If you turn & start straight up the hill your on the right track. You drive for a bout half an hour & you get to the gate for the creb. on your left side there will be an abandoned green shed/house with a track beside the fencline. If you follow this it takes you down to the roaring meg falls. Enjoy

muddy dan
Here and there

Unread post by muddy dan » April 22nd, 2013, 9:05 pm

Hayley's??? Thats sounds good close to the creb only 2/3 hours up from mossman (should be at mossman for lunch). camped up by mid arvo.

Yappa
Avid Poster

Unread post by Yappa » April 22nd, 2013, 11:08 pm

Can't remember the name of the park but it was in Ayton which is about 10-15 minutes up the road from Bloomfield/wujul wujul. It was on the right handside as you head outta wujul wujul & from memory it was on a bit of a straight & there may have been a set of big timber log archway sorta type gates...if that makes sense. Really close to the back end of the track. Pretty easy to find as well....camping/caravan parks aren't every 5 klm sorta deals up that way ;) :D

muddy dan
Here and there

Unread post by muddy dan » April 23rd, 2013, 6:09 am

No Worrys thanks very much Steve and Yappa

cheers Dan

gupaul
Been here a while

Unread post by gupaul » June 10th, 2013, 8:29 pm

muddy dan wrote:Hayley's??? Thats sounds good close to the creb only 2/3 hours up from mossman (should be at mossman for lunch). camped up by mid arvo.
Yep, It's Hayleys. We were going to camp there but went on to the Lions Den....did look nice though
99 Gu 2.8L, 2" Lift, 33" Summit Mudhogs, twin locked,85% reduction gears 2.5 " Straight through exhaust, DP Chip, 12,000p Tigerz11 Winch, Long range tank

just do it mike
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by just do it mike » May 27th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Just after peoples ideas.

Visited Cape Trib last year. Only had a rental car so did not do the Bloomfield track - although probably the best thing to do it in.

Planning a trip next year shipping out motorhome and small 4x4 from the UK and would love to do the track. So those of you who have done it, my question is....The 4x4 is a Suzuki SX4 4x4 with front wheel, all wheel or diff locks at the click of a switch but it really is a car. Pretty good off road for what it is but it is not a Landrover (Have to leave that at home as it's too big for the motorhome to tow).
I will be approx 75mm higher than a standard SX4 giving about 250mm ground clearance and a bit more for wadingand have town and country tyres. Would this vehicle be up to the trip, particularly in dry weather with lower water in the crossings?

Which is the easiest direction?

Thanks guys.

dammit01
Here and there

Unread post by dammit01 » May 28th, 2014, 6:09 am

no I don't think it would ,you would be ok on just the dirt roads but the realy rough stuff no

just do it mike
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by just do it mike » May 29th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Thanks for that Dammit1.
I have been researching and watching Youtube videos of the Creb and tend to agree, you do need the proper kit for that and be pretty capable at off roading.
The Bloomfield Track seems a lots easier. I know there are a couple of steep hills which I think are concrete or an hard surface and some water crossings but I have seen small vehicles on it (again on Youtube), some don't even look like 4 wheel drives. If I forgot about the Creb what do you reckon on the chances of my SX4 4x4 (on steriods) making the Bloomfield on a good day?

Dree Mon
Avid Poster

Unread post by Dree Mon » May 29th, 2014, 6:32 pm

As far as I know it the creb and a few others could be closed for awhile, , dependent on when the council feels like doin anything about it, the cyclone did some damage and needs clearing and at some point the track needs repairing due to mud slides I think,,

how long will it take the council to re-open it's gates?

I'll help along with some mates that are heading up there soon, hopefully Roothy can too, :waycool:

pat12ht
Been here a while

Unread post by pat12ht » June 11th, 2014, 11:01 pm

Hi Guys, I live in the Mossman area, will make a few calls to see what is happening with regards to the Creb track if anyone is interested. Has been a drizzly damp start to the winter up here, so it will most likely be closed for a little while yet regardless of cyclone damage etc.

Mike. I havent been up the Creb for a while but unless its changed quite a lot, I can't see why your Suzuki couldnt do it with some patience and careful driving, Most of the times I've been through there, have been in pretty much stock Landcruisers, no lockers and often with All Terrain tyres. What time of year were you planning the trip, as rainfall and therefore creek levels will be your limiting factor... The Bloomfield coast road is a piece of cake, I've seen locals doing it in Commodores etc in the dry season, again, creek levels will be your only concern.

Cheers Pat

just do it mike
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by just do it mike » June 13th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Thanks for that encouragement Pat.
I think we will go for the dry season which should make things easier for the car and the wife! Maybe look at the Crib on the day.
I will have fitted a skid pan and if funds run to it some beefier tyres by then.
It is not my intention to abuse the car but having lifted it there not much point in having a 4x4 drive system if it only ever goes on the black stuff.
Mike

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 14th, 2014, 5:15 am

just do it mike wrote:?......The 4x4 is a Suzuki SX4 4x4 with front wheel, all wheel or diff locks at the click of a switch but it really is a car. Pretty good off road for what it is ".......
Unless I'm very much mistaken, the OE 'diff lock' in the SX4 is 'only' a centre diff lock, & not what people usually consider as a 'traction aid' type cross axle diff lock, so not really all that great for off roading as such, but it does allow the SX4 to access 'true 4WD' in the driveline, unlike many if not most other similar SUV's - so for what they are, they ARE pretty capable, with some fairly obvious limitations. And don't forget that the traction control etc that it also has does make it reasonably capable for a small 4By with limited ground clearance, tyres, etc - they WILL go a lot further than many think possible (well, ours does anyway... :) ) but they certainly don't have 'Detroit Locker' or 'Air Locker' type capabilities in their diffs/driveline.... :( working on that one tho!! ;)

Still, with a bit of a lift, more aggressive & slightly taller tyres, and a bit of judicious driving, from my experience up there with a heap of fairly stock vehicles & often unskilled/newbie drivers too, I wouldn't think the Creb was likely to be impossible, altho it might be worthwhile making sure you had another vehicle along justin... I'd certainly give it a go in the SX4 if I was up there, I suspect that the 'creek crossing' on the Daintree end would be the 'go or whimp out' test! However, if you don't want to risk that, then the Bloomfield should be readily do-able with your mods & some care, even on your own.

So when are you planning on doing this, Mike?? Just looking at the calendar & thinking TWO slightly modded SX4's on the Creb could be fun!?!.... ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

newhue
Been here a while

Unread post by newhue » June 14th, 2014, 6:03 am

Has anyone camped at Roaring Meg. I understand one has to book ahead, and the tours are good if wanted. I assume the camp ground would be cool and shaded given it's rain forrest territory, but can one swim at the falls? I have head the secret womens' business is only specific to the top of the falls.

Can anyone confirm?

just do it mike
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by just do it mike » June 15th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Thanks for that posting Peter...more encouragement.

We plan to do this next year, so still a way off but for a Brit to ship out our own vehicles under the carnet de passage scheme for up to one year brings out all sorts of logistical and paperwork issues and unseen regulational complications which I am working through. So when we arrive in Australia and indeed our port of landing is still to be agreed – but we will be there – it is our retirement ‘Gap year’ and time to play.

Two slightly modified SX4’s sounds like fun. I’ll put in another posting when arrangements are firm and if you are around maybe we can give it a go. I don't want to damage the car but I want to use its capabilities and make the most of our time in far north Quuensland.

The SX will be tested out on a winter run to Budapest once all the mods are finished. That should see how it works in bad weather, snow, ice, etc. and not so good roads.

I reckon a good set of x-trail wheels should fit (just need to check) as they are higher and wider and should fit with the extra space from the lift. I might even find some used ones at a reasonable price with decent tyres on them.

Just do it mike

Return to “Queensland”