Cape York 2011 - Pretty picture heavy

Quincy88
Been here a while

Cape York 2011 - Pretty picture heavy

Unread post by Quincy88 » July 25th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Well on the 2nd of July a group of 4 vehicles including mine left for our trip to the top. We had 3 weeks to do it from the Illawarra region on the NSW south coast so we set of early. I won't bore you with the full details of the first full day as the most interesting part of it came after we reach North Queensland. But a brief outline is:
1st Night - Nindigully pub - central QLD (highly recommend this place as a good stop over great camp site good food from the pub as well)
Nindigully Pub - Central QLD by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

2nd Night - side of the Gregory Development road about 35ks north of Clermont - Central QLD
First camp fire - Side of the road by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

3rd Night - The Boulders Camp ground, Babinda - North QLD

The forth day was where the fun began and we headed bush. After stocking up with food and fuel in Cairns we set off up over the mountains. Another quick top up of fuel at Laura before we hit The Lakefield National Park. We had planned to get to 6 mile camp ground and when we drove in to see no one else there we were stoked. A nice sandy bank high up from the creek below with plenty of shade from the trees. In all, an awesome spot to camp.
6 Mile Creek Camp Ground by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

River side Fire by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

From 6 mile camp ground we headed up to Cape Melville. First need for 4wd on the trip heading out there. Few little creek and mud hole crossings to negotiate but in all nothing to difficult. We reached the beach and were amazed by the scenery. After a quick look around we decided to try and find a campsite on the beach. Finding a nice spot away from the other campers we set up camp and got the fire going. Another awesome night and awesome camp ground. Next day was a bit of a rest day around Cape Melville. Checked out a few little things, Had a swim at a close by freshwater creek and generally relaxed.
Muddy washout by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Muddy washout by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

The convoy on the way to Cape Melville by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Hitting the Beach by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

First nights fire at Cape Melville by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Our setup by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Park on the Beach at Cape Melville. by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

[Image
Melville Handstands! by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Trusty Hilux by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

The following day we would be heading on closer to the top. We headed back out through all the same crossings and little track obstacles we had tackled a couple days earlier on the way in. After meeting up with My dad at Kalpowar Crossing we had a quick lunch and headed on. The road between Kalpowar and Musgrave roadhouse was a good road. Again a few Creek crossings but nothing to challenging. We stopped at Musgrave for some fuel and headed up to Archer river for the night. We set up a camp on the river bank again in a nice sandy location. Another roaring fire and we were in for another good camp spot.
Paul in a fun little Section by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Kurt in a fun little Section by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Musgrave Roadhouse by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Not long to go now! by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Early morning at Archer River camp by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Quincy88
Been here a while

Re: Cape York 2011 - Pretty picture heavy

Unread post by Quincy88 » July 25th, 2011, 11:33 pm

From Archer river we kept heading north. Continuing on to Bramwell Junction where we did another refuel before starting to Old Telegraphy Line. Fueled up and ready we headed off onto the OTL. About 1km in we came across a little muddy bog hole with a steep exit. All of us apart from my brother took the track around it which resulted in my brother getting a little stuck. A quick snatch and we were back on our way again though heading to Palm Creek. The first and probably must challenging crossing of the track. First up with the Middy Troopy making up no worries followed by me in my Hilux. First attempt got me almost to the top but just ran out of grip and momentum at the top. Reversing back down and with the instructions from friends to use a little more right foot, I put the foot down and got up to the top with the second go. Next was my dad with the camper. Getting most the way up but just not having the ability to get right to the top we quickly ran a winch and pulled him up. The two GQ's were next and made it up now worries. After we were all across one guy noticed a stick in the bead of his tyre. So we decided to grad some lunch while he replaced that. We then continued on through the next few creek crossings to our camp site at Bertie Creek. Another awesome location right next to the creek. Nice big open campsite with plenty of space for all of us to fit.
The Beginning of the OTL by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

A bit stuck by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Time to get out! by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

He thought it was funny. His partner didn't by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Was a bit harder getting back in the car by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Some fun in the mud by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Palm Creek with camper by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Winching up by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

GQ heading up Palm Creek by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

GQ on Palm Creek exit by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Coming through Palm Creek by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

GW Palm Creek Exit by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

After setting up camp at Bertie creek we realised how good a camp ground it was and decided to stay there two nights. The following day was a bit of a rest and muck around day. Heading up to gunshot to see what the lines were like up there. Again my brother had to try a more difficult one resulting in him getting stuck once again. This time the recovery wasn't so straight forward. Needing the winching car to be wedged against a tree and slowly pulling him up out of the whole backwards until he was at the point where he could reverse the west of the way up. Two of the other guys did the "chicken track" which is sloppy mud run. They both got through ok but after another group went through and dug it up. When our guys were coming back through they too also got stuck and needed to winch themselves out. We returned to camp and went for a bit of swim and got the fire going ready for the nights dinner.
This bit is easy by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Now if i Just put my wheels there by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Im not stuck yet by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

oops by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Pretty well wedged by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Proud driver by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Into the mud hole by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

My turn by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Gunshot Creek by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Not going to happen by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Way back through by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

I think i can by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Bertie Creek Camp by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr
Last edited by Quincy88 on July 27th, 2011, 7:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.

CUSoon
Here and there

Unread post by CUSoon » July 26th, 2011, 7:00 am

Great read and pics so far. Don't leave us hanging too long for the next instalment.

Quincy88
Been here a while

Unread post by Quincy88 » July 27th, 2011, 8:54 pm

After having a play the day before at Gun shot creek we decided to take the bypass road the next morning when we were leaving. So after leaving our camp at Bertie Creek and crossing the creek we made our way up towards Fruitbat Falls and Elliot/Twin Falls After finding another little mud hole the "You can't drive that" challange got thrown down and funny enough he couldn't Resulting in him being towed out. Had a bit of lunch here and decided to head up to the banks of the Jardine river to set up camp for the night. Unfortunately I was the last car going through today so I missed out on a lot of photo opportunities going through the numerous creek crossings. Including the swamp before Nolans Brook that was quite deep and Nolans Brooke creek crossing its self. If I get some photos off the other guys that were there i will post them up. Anyway we all got through the crossings with no trouble. After getting across Nolans and quickly checking our air filters we headed for camp. Finding a spot on the side of the river high up safe from the snappy creatures that inhabit the waters.
Bertie creek by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Bertie Creek by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Brother trying to wet me as i take photos by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Bogged as by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

With the trailer by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Creek Crossing by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Creek Crossing by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Trusty Hilux by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Elliot falls by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

The next day we got up and headed towards the Ferry to get across the river. After crossing the Ferry it was a quick stock up in Bamaga before heading up to find a camp. We got a spot a Cable Beach camp ground which is on the west coast of the cape in Punsand bay. Another Awesome location with a great beach outlook over the bay. The following day we did the trek to the tip and came back down the coast road on the east coast to Bamaga and out to Sesia. Again I had a lack of photos over these days so I won't bore you to much.

After exploring the top we headed off the next day and decided to take the southern section of the OTL track on in the southern direction and camp another night somewhere along it again. Me and dad again did the bypass track around gunshot and went and got us a camp spot while the others went and had a bit of a play around again. After they returned and told me someone had made one of the more difficult tracks into pretty much a 2wd track I wished I had gone along with them. We set up camp at Delahunty creek crossing. and managed to get a bit of a swim in amongst the water falls as well.
Standing at the tip by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Handstanding at the tip by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Cable Beach camp by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

The next morning we were headed for the frenchmans track. But first we had to negotiate Palm creek again. Again I was a bit camera lazy this day and didn't get any photos of anyone coming across but I will post some if I get them of friends. First car was the troopy again and after stalling it half way up he started it up again and continued his climb. Again the only car that needed assistance was dad with the camper trailer. The rest of us made it up no issues. Back on the development road we headed towards the Frechmans with the plan to camp around the Pascoe river. The rest of the track is relatively straight forward with a few little swampy sections but again nothing to challenging. The decent into the Wenlock river was steep and muddy but everyone got down fine. The Pascoe is in my opinion the hardest crossing of the cape. Combined with the rocky and rutted entry and exits, the crossing is quite deep and fast flowing with some quite deep holes. Wheel positioning was important to avoid getting hung up on rocks in the creek. Again all except the Camper got up fine with the crusier towing the trailer just needing a quick snatch up. Camp was set up at the top of the frenchmans track and fire was started after another good days driving.

Frenchmans track Camp by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Frenchmans track camp by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

The results of 2 weeks of dust by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Quincy88
Been here a while

Unread post by Quincy88 » July 27th, 2011, 9:33 pm

From the our camp at the frenchmans we headed back onto the development road and to Musgrave again where we did a fill up. We had noticed a few cars were carrying a few battle scars so it was a pretty slow trip. We ended up reaching a camp ground back in lakefield National park. We later found out that my brothers Panhard bar bushes were stuffed in his GQ causing the front wheels to wobble quite bad at any sort of decent speed. And the troopy was overheating a bit which we traced back to being the clutch fan not working.

Camp was set up and the plan for the next day was to the Daintree Rainforest for a couple nights via Cooktown and the Bloomfield track. With a bit of bush mechanics we managed to fix my brothers car and get it more drivable along the way. But the Troopy still Carried its scars. Cooktown was a stopover for lunch and a stock up before heading onto the Bloomfield. Again not an overly challenging track with some steep hill climbs and a few little creek crossings. Beautiful scenery but due to the Slow moving nature of the track and the crippled cars we didn't have much chance to stop for photos.

After a couple days relaxing in the Daintree and checking out the sights we headed back into cairns where we said goodbye to a few fellow travellers a the air port as they had to get back for work commitments and continued on to The Boulders camp ground again. I was there early in the arvo and waited for the others to get there. My brother turned up next early in the evening and got out cursing his car. After getting his Panhard bar bushes replaced, he lost all feel in the clutch pedal. he drove the 70k's from Cairns to the camp with no clutch and new it was a problem with the hydraulics. After numerous attempts to bleed the system and get it working that failed we had to call a tow truck. After getting the slave cylinder replaced in Innisfail. It was pretty much a few days to High tale it back home. Spending a night at Cardwell, then Dululu (west of Rockhampton) awesome free camp ground there as well and last night at Warialda in NSW. Very cold night got down to -3 degrees but a very nice spot to end the trip with so many memories.

186 by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Last night of the trips camp. -3 degrees at night by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Last nights fire by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

Hope you enjoy reading and its informative. Check out my flickr page as there is a few different photos that I haven't posted up on here and a few more of my landscape shots will be up later when I go through.
Thanks! :)

rumpig
Need to get out more

Unread post by rumpig » July 27th, 2011, 10:25 pm

nice read and some great pics.
got mates up there right as i type this, they are having some minor vehicle issues aswell, so you weren't alone there.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 27th, 2011, 10:44 pm

Nice read, and top photos. You obviously know how to use that camera!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

oncedisturbed
Part of the furniture

Unread post by oncedisturbed » July 27th, 2011, 11:10 pm

AWESOME

Quincy88
Been here a while

Unread post by Quincy88 » July 27th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Thanks for the Comments guys!

One Last photo in here from the trip and something just to finish it off with. Between this one and another shot of the same sunset would be my favourite picture of the trip. Awesome spot out there as well.

Cape Melville Sunset - Far North Queensland by Photos By Dean Quince, on Flickr

rumpig
Need to get out more

Unread post by rumpig » July 28th, 2011, 4:48 pm

great pic that one, if i took that it'd be enlarged and hanging on my wall at home somewhere.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 28th, 2011, 7:05 pm

x2 ;)

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Yappa
Avid Poster

Unread post by Yappa » July 31st, 2011, 9:15 pm

WOOHOO, great stuff Quincy. I'll be picking ya brains in the coming months mate ;)

Quincy88
Been here a while

Unread post by Quincy88 » July 31st, 2011, 9:58 pm

Thanks Mate. No worries, I will do my best to answer your questions.

mudjunkie
Avid Poster

Unread post by mudjunkie » August 3rd, 2011, 2:58 pm

Yea a great report mate. We must have almost passed you blokes on our way up. Great place hey.....

Quincy88
Been here a while

Unread post by Quincy88 » August 3rd, 2011, 9:23 pm

Im sure we would of somewhere along the lines! But it is a big place up there!! and such an awesome spot to!

Return to “Queensland”