Bendethera-Big Hole

jim80h
Here and there

Bendethera-Big Hole

Unread post by jim80h » May 30th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Well,

This will be my first trip report, for my first camping trip in about 30 years. :D

Cast: Me (Jim): Petrol/Gas 80 series

Jeff :Hilux dual cab
Chris: Colorado
Dave: Grand Cherokee

Four of us met at Maccas Lithgow for our trip to Araluen via Braidwood. After a coffee and brekky we were off at 7AM. The trip down was very uneventful. We arrived at Araluen Pub at about 11:30 AM and waited around till it openned at 12. Lunch consisted of a BIG plate of chips and gravy and a schooner. Wow, great value feed.

After feeding the worms, we were off. Not far out of Araluen the road turns to dirt. We turned off the road at the Dry Creek camping ground and proceeded to engage diff locks etc and head out into the unknown. After crossing the creek the fun began. I have never seen steeper, longer climbs and decents. And not just 1 or 2 but they seemed never ending. The views at the tops of the ridges were amazing, but finding somewhere to stop and take pics was difficult. By the time it got close to 4 PM we were just coming up to the Bendethera camping ground. We crossed the first creek and decided that the first camp site was the one for us. We got ourselves set up (I took the longest because I just wasn't sure what I was doing) Got the fire going and settled down to a few beverages and lots of chat about the days trip in. The light misty rain that started couldn't dampen our enthusiasm . Next morning we packed up, had a bit of an explore and after consulting our maps headed off to our next camp site. The climb out of the the camp ground was eventful. The mist made it seem like we were climbing so high we were literally in the clouds. A flat on one of the vehicles saw us repairing the tyre on the track. (Its a Jeep thing ;) ). We got back on the move and kept going. As it got closer to lunch we got to a point on the map where it was indicated that a camping area was just ahead, and the track continued on to our destination. Lunch at the camping area and on to our next camp. We might actually get there well before nightfall :lol: . Well, we got to a point on the track where the camp ground was supposed to be and found that the only way to continue was to fit wings and fly :eek:. Lunch was has, and we turned around and headed back along the track for about an hour. This time the Jeep managed to snap off a valve stem . Got it swapped off, and headed out to our next camping spot at Big Hole. Set up, fire going, drinking and eating underway. We reflected on our day and again had to say "Its a Jeep thing" :D . Next morning it was pack up and head back to civilisation. My trip was not the most pleasant, did a front axle seal and developed a bit of a shudder, so had to take it easy. The shudder got worse, and all of a sudden a loud bang saw me drifting to the wrong side of the road. I got pulled up on the side of the road to find that my tyre had decided to delaminate the tread. (No, it wasnt a retread). We got that fixed and headed home.

It was a GREAT couple of days with a GREAT bunch of mates.

Thanks again to the fellas for an epic adventure.
jim.jpg
Jeff.jpg
Dave.jpg
Chris.JPG
[attachment=0]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jim80h on May 30th, 2013, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BarKer
Been here a while

Re: Bendethera-Big Hole

Unread post by BarKer » May 30th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Nice read... We need more of these...

Cheers

jim80h
Here and there

Unread post by jim80h » May 30th, 2013, 8:42 pm

DSCN1023.jpg
DSCN1018a.jpg
DSCN1016a.jpg
DSCN1015a.jpg
DSCN1031a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jim80h
Here and there

Unread post by jim80h » May 30th, 2013, 8:45 pm

DSCN1033a.jpg

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » May 30th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Bendethera a great spot but you know you will have to go back cause you have to see the cave & the wattle trees which are unique to the erea . When I 1st went there about 10 years ago towed my camper in & had everyone coming up to me asking how did Iget that in! my reply was gravity . Before leaving I drove half back out to see how the car would go before towing the camper out

jim80h
Here and there

Unread post by jim80h » May 31st, 2013, 5:32 am

A return trip is already on the agenda. :sillywink:

Clarkey16
Been here a while

Unread post by Clarkey16 » June 9th, 2013, 1:20 am

Come on Jim, it wasn't easy finding all the sharp rocks ;) & well yes the aluminium valve stem was a jeep thing :crazy:
Yes I did! Built with spanners not chop sticks!

jim80h
Here and there

Unread post by jim80h » June 9th, 2013, 3:34 pm

No It wasnt. You just did a REAL good job finding them. LOL

greatsoutherncowboy
Here and there

Unread post by greatsoutherncowboy » March 4th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Great read. I'll be going there for the first of hopefully many times this easter 2014 and I can't wait
You'll never never know if you never never go

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » March 4th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Hi greatsoutherncowboy
Your lucky to get the opportunity as a few years back on an Easter long weekend some muppets got down there in their 4wds doing burnouts digging it up & National Parks weren't impressed so much they were thinking about closing it off. So enjoy & help protect it by reporting anyone you see doing anything that can be of a risk to it being closed. It is worth protecting as you will see with historical significance , the caves & the wattle trees after the excellent drive in that involves several crossing of the crystal clear river that you will be camping besides in the lush green valley.
Bet you cant wait to go!
Cheers TLC60S

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » March 25th, 2014, 9:22 pm

Just a bit of information on Bendethera, anyone who is planning to take a camper trailer into the valley the only access is from Moruya via Little Sugarloaf Rd & the Bendethera Fire trail. All other fire trails incur a $300 fine for towing trailers on them.
Cheers TLC60S

Return to “New South Wales”