YALWAL (monkey gum track, wombat flats) 20/2/12

dats4real
Been here a while

YALWAL (monkey gum track, wombat flats) 20/2/12

Unread post by dats4real » February 20th, 2012, 5:28 pm

We had been studying the maps for a while and where originally going to go down to bendethra but we had been there so many times that it was loosing its coolness, After some hunting around and then running into a 4wd enthusiast at the pub, we settled on YALWAL.

The pub mate had been down there years ago and raved about the tracks, and how good they where, in particular one area behind the camp site. i got home form the pub and had a study but all i could find was news that a heap of tracks had now been gated. So decided i better go check it out b4 it all gets closed.

We packed the hilux up on friday night battling 25mm of rain. And got away from Canberra at 8:30 on saturday morning. We met up in bungendore to fuel up, and then hit the road, we followed the road out to Tarrigo, then cut across to Nerriga. We followed the road from there with hopes that the yarramunmun track would be open. This track is located about 2km before the tianjara falls on the left. There was some serious locks on the gate and rocks there so that was a no go. We headed down to the falls and had a look. Very impressive falls, and well worth the stop!

We hit the road again headed to YALWAL rd. Followed that in and got to danjera dam. To be honest i was rather disappointed by the campsites there. They where nice, but i have stayed at better. We decided to try find elsewhere as there where already a few large groups. We looked at the map and went as far as picking a campsite in jervis bay. So we headed out of danjera dam and back up to deans gap rd. Not been from the area we didn't have much of an idea where to go or where the good tracks where

Thats where the fun began..... We followed deans gap rd and came across mint bush fire trail. We had came all this way and wanted to hit some tracks, so of we went down mint bush fire trail . The track in isn't super challenging, but there is a few fun bits on it. We followed it for an hour or so, and stumbled across a fork in the road with a pink arrow to the right. and what do you know it turned out to be wombat flats, Don't you just love when it all falls in place. The place was definitely a bit of a rubbish tip!!!( its disgusting to see how many people had left tins and bottles in and around there camp fires.) We found the resident goanna having a sun bake. We followed the track down and through to little bog holes and then took the first left, and went down and explored the rock steps. Some seriously good fun there. Theres an easy bit at the top and then it gets harder the further down you go. Only one of our convoy made it to the very bottom as the others didn't want to risk damage. The river at the bottom is really nice and a good place to cool of.

We headed back up to wombat flats where a land rover club had also started to set up camp. We set up camp and settled in for a well earned beer and to review some of the camera footage from the day. The camp site is really quite nice apart from the rubbish, and i would recommend it over danjera dam. there are also a few other smaller campsites further down the track if you don't turn down to wombat flats and stick on mint bush which i think turned into wombat flat road then monkey gum

We got up nice and early, had breakfast then spent an hour cleaning up the place, Its amazing how lazy people are, a lot of the rubbish was paper and beer boxes. Stuff that can be easily burnt. We started the trucks up at 9:30 and where on the road, back up out of wombat flats and took a right up the top. The tracks rather easy until you get to the small creek, from there the track turns into monkey gum!!!

Monkey gum is a lot of fun. The previous wet weather had made it just that little bit more challenging. I would go as far as to say that i was one of the funnest tracks i have been on. There are a few rather tricky sections which you need to walk and plan out your plan of attack. And you don't need to try hard to get a wheel of the ground. We had a stock tropie, 2 land cruisers and my hilux. There where a few sections where one of us got stuck but we didn't winch once. Over all i can highly recommend this trick, It is a lot of fun and quite technical but do able in a not overly modified 4wd.

Once you get to the top, look for the ladder on the right and climb up and have a look at the view. We where back out on the main road by 1pm, with dirty utes and a few battle scars( dented exhaust, dented side steps). But had a great time!!!

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THIS QUICK 2MINUTE VIDEO, ITS ALL THE TRIP HIGHLIGHTS. YALWAL IN A NUTSHELL:
http://youtu.be/jDfkd8YRwQM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dats4real on February 20th, 2012, 7:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dats4real
Been here a while

Re: YALWAL (monkey gum track, wombat flats)

Unread post by dats4real » February 20th, 2012, 5:30 pm

more pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Timmo
Need to get out more

Re: YALWAL (monkey gum track, wombat flats) 20/2/12

Unread post by Timmo » February 21st, 2012, 12:53 pm

Great pics mate. Was down there for 3 days last week and was also disappointed with all the rubbish left around. We camped at the dam as there was no-one there on Wednesday when we got there and the amount of broken glass and empty Bundy cans was disgusting. Spent a hell of a lot of time cleaning up the area around our camp just so my son could play around without getting injured. Pretty poor form considering bins were provided for all to use at the Dam Campground and were less than 20m away......apparently that was too far for some.

Other than that,not a bad way to spend 3 days.
Cheers,

Nathan

Hamlux
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Hamlux » February 21st, 2012, 9:25 pm

I was local in Nowra until this year... and Monkey Gum was a favourite track of mine, the Jackaroo loved it. Infact the Hilux I now own accompanied us on the last run there last time.

Yarramunmum was a great track, but alas the fun police decided to end that fun.

Glad you had a great time there, and after moving from the area, the only thing I miss is the abundance of great 4wding within cooee of home.
Cheers, Beers & 73!
de VK2MPJ

croozy
Need to get out more

Unread post by croozy » March 3rd, 2012, 5:23 pm

Top report. I have a mate that lives a stones throw from Dean's Gap road, so when ever I get the chance (which isn't often) we head out there.
Hamlux wrote:Yarramunmum was a great track, but alas the fun police decided to end that fun.
I was lucky enough to do "Yarramunmum Fire Trail" back in '09 & we didn't know until we got to the "Yarramunmum Top Fire Trail" that it was gated off. It made for some fun getting back especially as my mates G60 had broke a CV.
I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.

HAVE A GANDA AT MY SHED
http://www.4wdaction.com.au/gallery/21984-crikey

giffo525
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by giffo525 » March 23rd, 2012, 3:04 pm

Hope you picked up the bottle thats in the water whan you were sliding down the track.

Bushie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bushie » April 9th, 2012, 10:05 pm

A great area that has been severely reduced. I have been going down there since the early 80s. Plenty of places that are now locked up as part of the Ettrema wilderness :mad: :mad:

You used to be able to get from yalwal creek all the way across to Tolwong (Drovers Ridge track) and out via Touga (Opposite Bungonia Gorge) now that was a classic drive. Drive up the Shoalhaven almost to Tallowa dam (if you were game) and along Yalwal creek from Danjerra dam through McKenzie flat down to the Shoalhaven junction, you could then go across the river and up to the Bugong firetrail and onto Tallowa dam road.

Shoalhaven Gorge on the way across to Tolwong
34 47 54.35S, 150 15 31.82E

Bushie

Quincy88
Been here a while

Unread post by Quincy88 » April 9th, 2012, 11:07 pm

Thats an awesome photo you have there Bushie!!

I spent the day down there today, Drove down deans gap rd to wombat flat and up monkey gum. Was surprised at how few cars were actually down there, Wombat flat was empty, no one camped and no other vehicles. Then started heading up monkey gum and came across one other vehicle driving and single vehicle in one camp site, and a small group in another.

Drive up was good fun as always, some sections are starting to get a little trickier with the rain and use it has been getting lately.

giffo525
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by giffo525 » November 15th, 2013, 1:49 pm

here is a recent video of Monkey Gum

http://youtu.be/ZvY6V1KnP9w

pbk1776
Been here a while

Unread post by pbk1776 » December 5th, 2013, 11:54 am

nice write up mate
heopfully someone organize another trip to Yalwal before the long holidays

Sparkys
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Sparkys » December 5th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Hey Bushie

Gotta hope your handbrake is good!

merango
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by merango » July 21st, 2014, 12:12 pm

Great track! Went and had a play on the weekend. Drove from Deans Gap Rd all the way through on Monkey Gum. Some good technical pieces of track. Good fun and great day out.

Return to “New South Wales”