Here we go again...yeeeewwwww !! Mountain trip 29/1/12

Harb
Need to get out more

Re: Here we go again...yeeeewwwww !! Mountain trip 29/1/12

Unread post by Harb » February 1st, 2012, 2:58 pm

Hiluxxian wrote:Hi,
Just was wondering where in Blue Mountains this track is, looks for a great day out but my truck will need a few extra's before I head there.

I look forward to hearing back from you

Cheers

PM Sent

Lowranger
Here and there

Unread post by Lowranger » February 2nd, 2012, 11:05 pm

[quote="udm"]Oh well, it happens to everyone.

No one has been around for quite sometime.

Actually we were there in December with a group of Land Rovers,so not all that long at all.
Guess that we must really Tread Lightly eh? :D

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 2nd, 2012, 11:14 pm

Did you go right to the end...... there were heaps of tracks up to the camping area where the old diamond mine is, but there was only one set of tracks we could see that went as far as the first lot of steps and after that there wasn't any sign of anyone...... some of the big washouts looked like no one had been through them and Col said the falled tree we moved had been there a few months, and he was really suprised when we told him we went right to the end.
Have you got any Pic's as I am interested to see how much it has grown over since Dec if you have some...

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 2nd, 2012, 11:17 pm

larcie wrote:Hey Harbs, good to see you out and about again, Great pics as well.
I love that track, I've done a rear panhard up there and The missus did an ankle!
Guess which was the must expensive?
could have replaced the entire suspension, wheels and tyres and bought a winch as well!

The Dove and 62 Studie Hawk are just bonuses for the weekend.

Yeah I love Cols junk....... Something about old gadgets and planes.... :)

ahhh and the old Studie "Granny Magnet" as he calls it hahaha

Lowranger
Here and there

Unread post by Lowranger » February 3rd, 2012, 1:05 pm

Yeah Harb, The fallen tree wasn't there in December when we were there. I have been there 5 times over the last 6 months or so,and it is an ever changing environment. Every time we go there it has changed, but we noticed that when we were last there which was after all the rain in December, that everything had changed dramatically. We also noticed that there was no sign of others being there for a period of time. I think the rain just washes all signs of vehicular access away.
PC102939_922x692.jpg
PC102865_922x692.jpg
PC102871_922x692.jpg
PC102838_922x692.jpg
PC102829_922x692.jpg
PC102816_922x692.jpg
These are just a few of the 200 or so I have
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MarkIIa
Here and there

Unread post by MarkIIa » February 3rd, 2012, 1:42 pm

Jurassic Park always feels like you're the first through in centuries, even more so on the balloon loop at the end...but as Lowranger said we'd been there 5 or 6 times last year, usually have it to ourselves but have seen two other groups there that also went to the end.

Those were Feb last year, it's always lush but haven't seen it as boggy as in your photos yet.

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 3rd, 2012, 2:37 pm

Thanks for the Pix....
Yeah it looks pretty similar, maybe just a bit more overgrown....
I guess you were the first through for a couple of months and then no one since then till us.
There is a bit of traffic turning left up to the diamond mine, but thats pretty much a softroader track.
The last time I went up there was to shoot a Segment for Pats show and it was still pretty used then.
We used to go up there regularly, but have noticed the heavy rain we have had in the past 12 months has really changed things, and it just starting to get really good now.
Its one of my favorite spots close to Sydney....and probably the last fair dincum 4wd track left really.
I hope it doesn't get over used and ends up a rock crawling track like porters rd and winchbreak hill...... although I don't mind those sort of tracks either, but its nice to have somewhere to take the family in a fairly normal 4wd, although having said that, you need a pretty capable truck to get to the end now.......

There is only really one boggy section, and someone has left a pair of ramps there to get out if you get stuck.... but I think the mud is way to deep to get any good use out of them.....
The mud is in a low spot, so it will heal itself pretty quick when the place dries out I recon.

One thing I must really point out.......

Col said he is now done with the fight, and is pretty confident that when he passes on, it will get locked up.....
He made it very clear that he is now putting the fight to keep it open directly in our hands, so please please please anyone intending to go up there, look after it..... you will always do a certain amount of damage..its just the way it is even walk in the bush, but please try and keep it to a minimum and don't bring the wrath of Nat Parks onto us by using the place as a drift park or a burnout pad !! , its pretty clear that it can sustain the current use, and as mentioned, its pretty hard to tell anyone has been up there from month to month, and as long as we keep it that way it should be ours to use for a long time.
Also Col has nothing much to do with its upkeep anymore, he no longer takes the donations to keep the trees etc off the track , but you still have to go right past his front door to get up there, so if you see him, take the time to stop and say G'day to the old bloke...he is a dead set legend in my book, and has been fighting for our rights to go up there for years.
and if you have any spare planes, trains or army tanks, I'm pretty sure he'd take em....hahaha

Harb

Lowranger
Here and there

Unread post by Lowranger » February 3rd, 2012, 7:18 pm

Well said Harb
I agree entirely regarding the use of not only this pristine area,but any area that you go into with your 4wd !!!!
The really boggy section was caused by all the top soil being washed down the hill just ahead of it as you are entering,and the fact that there is a natural watercourse at the point that the soil has settled at,and it has formed a sort of quicksand.I am intrigued that someone has dragged the old ramps there,as these used to be further back along in the valley,so obviously others have been there since we were there.I just hope that others don't abuse the place,and at least stay away until the big wet is over and the track has had time to dry out.

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 3rd, 2012, 7:59 pm

yeah It probably needs a rest till the rain goes away for a while........
Anyway , I am not a real big fan of mud.... hate the stuff actually, it just gets in and wrecks everything...... I go up there purely for the sandstone.....I just love the traction you can get on it, and do some technical stuff....great fun and one of the few places left you can do it.
Going up we went through and it was pretty good, but coming back the mud got a bit tricky....... Ulises was going really steady but ended up getting stuck with both axles sitting on a hidden log in the mud and needed to winch out and after seeing that I powered through with a bit more mumbo, sliding through on the burried log but didn't get stuck :woohoo:
There was a side track, but it was really soft as well, so rather than make any new tracks we decided to keep to the main one...... its in a good place for rapid rehab anyway, so all good
It may have been Col or one of his family that took the ramps up there.... it sounded like he had been up there at some point.

Lowranger
Here and there

Unread post by Lowranger » February 4th, 2012, 1:34 pm

Yep......I know the feeling.I am not a real lover of mud....for the sake of mud.If it happens to be on a track that I am travelling on I have no problems with it,but I won't go out of my way to go and find mud,just to say I drove through it.I have seen the expensive results all too often.
When we were there,the muddy section was very fluid and was being ever filled by the natural watercourse passing across it,so it was very deep (it covered my 35's at one point) and very soft.Someone had already made the by-pass track,but that meant a step diagonally out of the muddy wheel ruts of at least a metre had to be negotiated,and then as soon as the front wheels had cleared the step,you had to turn hard left to avoid the trees lining the track,while the tree roots from these trees were wet and slippery and were trying to force you sideways back down the step into the mud.Lockers F & R and Treps helped here.
I think that people get stuck at different places around there and go looking for things to help them out,as I have seen those ramps in a number of different locations now.
Yes it is a place of rapid rehab,but unfortunately,I have noticed that since all the recent publicity that the track has been chopped up a lot more,and unfortunately the great unwashed are obviously starting to go there,as I have started to see rubbish left along the track,where once upon a time,when you went there it was pristine,it doesn't take much effort to throw an empty drink can or bottle top in the truck and take it home for the rubbish bin,rather than on the side of the track.The same when camping at the top,take any cans that have been put in the fire,as they don't magically disappear.I cleaned up 3 of the campfire sites the last time we camped there,just cans that people left in the fire pit,took me less than 5 minutes,but hey......I love the place and want to continue to be able to go there with my family and friends and be able to enjoy it!!!!

yobbo112
Been here a while

Unread post by yobbo112 » February 11th, 2012, 5:28 pm

Found a post on a website from the national park ranger for that area stating they plan on introducing a keyed access system up there, and making the area "safe" wether that means sealing off all the mine shafts and what not or even closing off access to the grotto...
I'll say it the 4wd action dvd will be the death of that place!!! :irked:
USed to be a secret as such, where you only told people that you trusted not to destroy the place.......
But labelling it "one of the most extreme tracks in nsw" is only asking for trouble...
Absolutly love the place and i can't believe how much the place has changed since all that rain!!
the place gets used alot theese days, but for whatever reason the shrubs are always hanging over the tracks
Don't Lock Up Australia!!!!!!

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 11th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Yeah I am keen to go up again, but I am going to do the right thing and let it dry out first,,,, and that may take quiet a while given the weather.....

Lowranger
Here and there

Unread post by Lowranger » February 12th, 2012, 6:47 pm

yobbo112 wrote:Found a post on a website from the national park ranger for that area stating they plan on introducing a keyed access system up there, and making the area "safe" wether that means sealing off all the mine shafts and what not or even closing off access to the grotto...
I'll say it the 4wd action dvd will be the death of that place!!! :irked:
USed to be a secret as such, where you only told people that you trusted not to destroy the place.......
But labelling it "one of the most extreme tracks in nsw" is only asking for trouble...
Absolutly love the place and i can't believe how much the place has changed since all that rain!!
the place gets used alot theese days, but for whatever reason the shrubs are always hanging over the tracks
Unfortunately I fear it may end up like the 15 tracks that are reportedly being closed in NW Tasmania,strange that they should be closed after all the exposure from high profile video coverage as well :purplex:
We were amazed in the change that took place in less than a month,from all the rain.Maybe they should ban rain :rolleyes:

Lowranger
Here and there

Unread post by Lowranger » February 12th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Harb wrote:Yeah I am keen to go up again, but I am going to do the right thing and let it dry out first,,,, and that may take quiet a while given the weather.....
We have been waiting to go back as well,but have been holding off ,due to the weather.Will probably be at least April now,after all the latest rain!!!It will require a fair amount of time to recover.

DanP
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by DanP » March 15th, 2012, 8:48 am

great photos! Looks like a really nice place :)

Return to “New South Wales”