Blacksmiths Beach

garrycol
Avid Poster

Re: Blacksmiths Beach

Unread post by garrycol » November 20th, 2011, 4:53 pm

muddy deo wrote:is there any snorkelling at either end of this beach guys? i can't believe i'm only just finding out about this beach after 20 odd years of having lived at lake macquarie.
The whole beach is called 9 mile beach because it is 9 miles long - northern end is Redhead Beach - southern end is Blacksmiths Beach and the channel into Lake Macquarie. Belmont and Jewels swamps drain into the sea when water levels are high at the lagoon and into the lake at Belmont South.

Snorkelling - well it is all surf beach - guess you could snorkel off the rocks at Redhead - I have seen divers/snorkellers around Swansea Bridge at slack water but since commercial fishing has been banned in the lake the number of Bull Sharks have increased - and of course like Stockton Bight, Great Whites also like hanging around 9 Mile beach - apparently doing what comes naturally.

Garry

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » November 20th, 2011, 4:55 pm

muddy deo wrote:is there any snorkelling at either end of this beach guys? i can't believe i'm only just finding out about this beach after 20 odd years of having lived at lake macquarie.
The whole beach is called 9 mile beach because it is 9 miles long - northern end is Redhead Beach - southern end is Blacksmiths Beach and the channel into Lake Macquarie. Belmont and Jewels swamps drain into the sea when water levels are high at the lagoon and into the lake at Belmont South.

Snorkelling - well it is all surf beach - guess you could snorkel off the rocks at Redhead - I have seen divers/snorkellers around Swansea Bridge at slack water but since commercial fishing has been banned in the lake the number of Bull Sharks have increased - and of course like Stockton Bight, Great Whites also like hanging around 9 Mile beach - apparently doing what comes naturally.

Garry

dudelux
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dudelux » November 22nd, 2011, 12:02 pm

I wouldnt be snorkelling at Redhead at all, Ive experienced the infamous Redhead Shorey, that thing breaks like the Waimea Shorey, its ****** gnarly.

Rocker
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Rocker » November 26th, 2011, 5:55 pm

garrycol wrote:

Garry
Funny it takes a Canberrian to explain the details of this hidden gem, but you have it spot on Garry.

Having grown up on this stretch of sand, and still live within a couple of gear changes from it, I have driven and ridden just about everything there is to traverse the sands of Jewells as we know it. This stretch of sand has always been soft and traditionally a low tyre pressure adventure if you want to enjoy it without over straining your vehicle - air is free guys, let your tyres down.

For those wishing to venture into the water, just be careful of the notorious under currents. Some of the biggest rips on the east coast that will drag you out to sea before you know it here, and not a life saver in sight to rescue you when it does go wrong.

Still, it's one of the few beaches around that a permit is not required, which is great, but it is patrolled by the local constabulary from time to time so be mindful of how many cans you've thrown back when enjoying it.
[img]http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1511234965/Untitled_reasonably_small.png[/img]
Rock On !

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » November 26th, 2011, 7:39 pm

Rocker wrote:Funny it takes a Canberrian to explain the details of this hidden gem, but you have it spot on Garry.
I come from Belmont - my mum still lives there and my brother and his family live by the lake just opposite of Beach Road. I am up there every couple of months.

When younger I used to ride my trail bike along an old track we called Burma from near the back of Macquarie Timbers down to Jewels and the sans mines - there used to be a road that ran from Redhead down to Belmont South just behind the dunes.

After the trail bikes when I graduated to 4wds I used to drive it in all areas and normally gained access from the back of the Belmont Sporty Club. My brother used to steal my 4wd when he was about 15 and drive along the beach as well - access from home to the beach could be gained without driving along the main roads.

Haven't been down the beach for a while and might give it a go when I am up there at Xmas -my truck will handle it Ok but my car (in the Avatar) only has road 55 series tyres so might struggle a little in the soft sand but will run as well as my brothers Hilux :rolleyes:

eldo
Part of the furniture

Unread post by eldo » December 17th, 2011, 5:25 am

Do you need permits for this beach?

driftr
Here and there

Unread post by driftr » December 19th, 2011, 9:15 am

no permits required.

Rocker

Unread post by Rocker » January 1st, 2012, 10:27 pm

Just spent New Years Eve over there - great night & week end

[img]http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1511234965/Untitled_reasonably_small.png[/img]
Rock On !

GQSHREKIN

Unread post by GQSHREKIN » February 14th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Hey All,

Looks like a great spot, me and a couple mate thinking of heading up there for a weekend to do a bit of camping and fishing just wondering anyone can recomend any good spots. Is it free camping or do you need permits? Can you have fires on the beach (aslong as no major fire bans ofcourse- which shouldn't be a drama with all this great weather we've had lately)...
Pete

phill81
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by phill81 » February 7th, 2013, 5:59 pm

The last post on blacksmiths was a while ago. Just wondering if anyone knows whether people still camp on the beach. Tourist info directs me to the caravan park but if I could roll out a swag on the beach and save a few bucks that would be good. Also has anyone thrown in a fishing line there? Any info would be great.

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » February 10th, 2013, 12:45 pm

After reading this thread we went for a look straight after the Newcastle Camping Show.. We entered the beach at the northern end.. crossed the creek and had a look at the surfclub end.. crossed the creek again and drove along the beach to the southern end where we crossed over a dune and were back on the black stuff.. Obviously there is still lots of freedom there as we had to dodge the locals racing their quads...

All the stories I read said it was a lot softer then Stockton so we aired down to 15 PSI, normally I go down to 18-20.. But it was not a problem. Didn't see anyone camping. however, a few cars looked like they were settling in.. Just watch it with teenagers as there were a few white pointers about.. :woohoo:

Donk94
Here and there

Unread post by Donk94 » February 10th, 2013, 2:49 pm

spent the friday night of australia day weekend up there, we went in at the lights near coold tea creek. Yes still allowed to camp on there. Pulled off the beach front in the dunes and rolled out a swag. As for fires not to sure, there were a few people with raging fires and still had them going in the morning. I found it very soft and boggy compared to frazer and stockton.

Fishing was good with the bream loving fisho ;)
Lucky it wasnt my sthil that cut you off

scottybaz87

Unread post by scottybaz87 » February 10th, 2014, 6:36 pm

blacksmiths is a great beach to drive on! towards the redhead end is a nice lagoon which is great for taking the kids for a swim, the only downside is the occasional f-wit dragging their kids behind their company allocated triton on a bodyboard in an attempt to impale them on sticks/foreign objects beneath the water and absolutely annoy all of those around them, but almost everywhere you go has its pro's and con's..

some parts can be quite soft, i snatched a land cruiser that was bogged severely in a 2002 nissan pathfinder and got some funny looks (usually its the other way around) , fishing wise... ive only ever caught one flathead there... she was a monster of a fish about 10cm long haha
Nissan R50 Pathfinder ST 2002. 2x ARB spotlights, factory nissan bullbar, DIY false floor with sliding drawer system and hatches, uniden UHF radio antenna, kenwood cd player, tigers 11 awning, factory nissan roof rails with DIY mesh platform attachment. More mods to come..

JamesRobinson50659
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by JamesRobinson50659 » May 27th, 2015, 4:34 am

The beach sounds great, would love to find out more about it.

ToughTriton
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by ToughTriton » December 20th, 2015, 11:47 am

It such a shame now we have to buy passes to drive on blacksmith beach now, all because of the idiots :(

Return to “New South Wales”