Blacksmiths Beach

driftr
Here and there

Blacksmiths Beach

Unread post by driftr » October 14th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Took our newish Colorado to Blacksmiths last weekend. here is some video from the trip..
It was our first time on Blacksmiths, and it was a good change from Stockton and a lot less busy.
Im keen to stay there overnight and give the fish a crack... not sure on camping / fires though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=095g-QPpDWM

here is a gps log of the trip (its not the complete trip)

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1318008

Peter16
Been here a while

Re: Blacksmiths Beach

Unread post by Peter16 » October 14th, 2011, 5:39 pm

people camp their every weekend with fires.
what psi did you go down to?

driftr
Here and there

Unread post by driftr » October 17th, 2011, 9:04 am

i was lazy and didnt check.
i used a friends old Stauns which were around 16psi when he got them years ago so it would be around that.
I didnt get stuck anywhere but there was a couple of dunes that needed more than one attempt.
it was my first time in this car as ive only driven my old XJ cherokee petrol offroad before.

My ferret deflator should be here this week :)

garrycol
Avid Poster

Unread post by garrycol » October 17th, 2011, 10:32 am

Is actually called Nine Mile Beach (northern end Redhead Beach , Southern end Blacksmiths Beach and the middle is Belmont Beach).

Is a great stretch of beach to drive along - can be a bit challenging in places.

dudelux
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dudelux » October 19th, 2011, 8:59 am

How good is Blacksmiths Beach, I took the Mrs and kids there a few weeks ago, in the Pajero, droped the tyres down to 15-16psi, no dramas. I had my recovery gear and shovel with me anyway.
When I was airing up on the way out, some young bloke in a Terracan, was charging through the clearing before the sand, didnt stop to change to 4wd, didnt stop to air down, just drove straight onto the sand. I said to Mrs D, watch this guy, hes going to get stuck in a minute. Sure enough, he got about 50m onto the sand and got bogged. He was a young guy, p plates, and his mates and some girls with him, he sent one of the girls for help. Took someone a couple of goes to snatch him out.

Im planning on heading back up there soon, just need some good weather on a weekend. Theres a swimming spot Im very keen to check out for the kidlets.

thebludger
Been here a while

Unread post by thebludger » October 21st, 2011, 2:28 pm

going there tomorrow where is the turn off to get on the beach

dudelux
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dudelux » October 21st, 2011, 3:28 pm

Theres a set of traffic lights, and if youre coming from Belmont Nth/Charlie, then youd turn left. Its Beach St. Follow it until you get to the locked gate, take the track on the RHS, youll come to a clearing, air down there, then make your way onto the sand.

I might be there tomorrow myself, with the kidlets and Mrs D, if you see a red Pajero, with white sunnys on 31s, and an alloy bullbar, beep and wave, or come say hi.

thebludger
Been here a while

Unread post by thebludger » October 21st, 2011, 6:29 pm

Hey dudelux what channel you going to be on i'm going out for sure leaving my place about 9.30 so should be there about 10.30 mate i'll be driving a patrol mate wanna have a catch havent seen for a while :)

dudelux
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dudelux » October 21st, 2011, 10:03 pm

Dont have a UHF in the Paj, its a family bus. Unsure what time we will head out. Id say around lunch time.
We will be heading to the northern section, theres a small channel type thing that should be ok for the kidlets to swim in.

thebludger
Been here a while

Unread post by thebludger » October 22nd, 2011, 7:01 am

yea seen that when i googled last nite mite have to drive up and have a look

dudelux
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dudelux » October 22nd, 2011, 10:33 pm

Was an awesome day for the beach.

We didnt get out of the house until about 1 this arvo, I had to wait for the Mrs to get home from the shops, then we had lunch and headed up to Blacksmiths in the Pajero.
Got to the clearing, aired down to 15psi, drove onto the sand, and headed north along the main stretch of beach. Lots of people out enjoying the day.

We got up to the channel, piled out of the car, and had a swim and a play in the sand for a few hours and came home, I washed the car of the front lawn and had a nice cold beer, or a couple.

There was a few white GQs in the area Bludger, couldnt figure out which one was yours though.
We were south side of the channel, right at the end, about 4m from the water. Where were you??

Im planning on going back very soon, next saturday if the weathers good. Ill take the kids boards, so we can surf down the big dunes across the channel, there were a few people doing it, looked like heaps of fun.

Driving out, we noticed quite a few groups setting up campsites, with firewood too.

Was an awesome arvo, kids had a good time, and all crashed out on the drive home.

thebludger
Been here a while

Unread post by thebludger » October 23rd, 2011, 8:20 am

yea we were up there got there about midday mate found the lake set the awning we were at the end where the widest part is not far from the exit to jewels there was heap of guys water boarding from behind trucks on the water had a good day kids loved it left about 4.30 and yea we will be up for next week if the weather is good mate just lets us know

dudelux
Part of the furniture

Unread post by dudelux » October 29th, 2011, 9:12 pm

I was back there today, it was hot, but cloudy, and I wanted to get out of the house, so I piled my 3 younger kids into the Lux, and headed up again.
Water was very low, last week, it was knee deep, today, it was around ankle deep. I took the kids boards and I dragged them around the water, and we surfed down the dunes.
Might go back tomorrow, depending on the weather.
Lux went great, first time Ive locked the hubs in for at least 6months, first time Ive had the Lux on the beach.
Sand was very soft today too, much softer than last week.

I got a couple of pics, mainly of the kids, but if theres anything worthy, Ill stick it in the photo comp on here, and try to win myself a winch.

driftr
Here and there

Unread post by driftr » November 16th, 2011, 9:33 am

Hey guys,
I usually enter via awabakal ave.
We went back up there 2 weeks ago and took the horses.. shame you cant access the beach right near the lagoon area as its too far for the unfit horses haha..

might be up there friday evening for a bit of a fish... never been beach fishing

ps, be careful, when we were last up there some twit parked right at the off ramp from the beach and also parked in our horse float which was down the road.

muddy deo
Been here a while

Unread post by muddy deo » November 20th, 2011, 11:12 am

is there any snorkelling at either end of this beach guys? i can't believe i'm only just finding out about this beach after 20 odd years of having lived at lake macquarie.

Return to “New South Wales”