NSW Mt Airlie, Capertee

1 red gu
I'm new, be nice!

Re: NSW Mt Airlie, Capertee

Unread post by 1 red gu » February 19th, 2012, 8:29 pm

i have been going to airlie for the past 13 years and ever since the 4wd action dvd came out this place has gone down hill in a big way
it dosent surprise me that the gate up the top has been ripped out after the way i have seen people drive on this track lately

when will people wake up and start taking care of such a great and rare place like this
or maybe 4wd action should stop making the dvds all together this may keep some of the dicks away from these fragile areas :mad:

sorry rant over!!
i don't mean any disrespect to the people doing the wright thing up there

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 19th, 2012, 8:47 pm

yeah I dont know if its all that bad....
I have been going up there for years and to be honest, the only real changes are the fact it is overgrowing, and there is one bog hole that needs to dry out a bit.
I think the secret here is to all do the right thing and give it a chance to dry out and all will be good.
WIth this rain....and its raining again as I type, everything has just become over wet.....even my driveway is a challenge at the moment, so as I mentioned before, the right thing to do is just give it a bit of time.
The run off up there in the rain is almost like a flash flood ion places, and those low spots really do get a workout with water flow, do naturally there is bound to be erosion , but if we do our best to lessen the damage I recon it will be ok...
When we went up there the other day, we went up ok, but coming back the mud hole just opened up and turned into a bog hole..... hence why I am going to wait a while before returning.
I think the track will always be there, but there is some risk of gates, and that is what we have to be careful of.......
it really is a great track, and its near impossible to damage the sandstone....but there is just those low area's that need a bit of care....

1 red gu
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 1 red gu » February 19th, 2012, 9:16 pm

yes you are wright harb the track does dry fast in the high areas but down in the valleys can take a lot longer
i have noticed though since the dvd the place cops a lot more traffic now, i have stood back and watched people spinning up those hills with enough fores to spit there crown wheel out the front of there diff and burn out there clutch at the same time
lets just say it was a long tow out for them!!
im just saying seeing people on the track like this not to menchin the top gate being trashed; this place will be gone sooner than later or it will become another washed out zigzag or similar thanks to the dvd exposure

har05l
Here and there

Unread post by har05l » March 31st, 2012, 5:50 pm

1 red gu wrote:this place will be gone sooner than later or it will become another washed out zigzag or similar thanks to the dvd exposure
Funny you mention zig zag red gu, for years a place called the Spanish Steps had been a gated section of track that only 4wd clubs could access with keys supplied. It has come to a point where the gates are permanently open as they where forced opened to many times to bother anymore. This will one day force even more extensive closures in a bigger area :mad:

Capertee has been on my long wish list but as harb and lowranger made point of in a previous thread the place just needs time to dry and settle.

From the sounds of it gates will be up before I or any other responsible 4wdriver will get a chance :mad: :mad: :mad:

1 red gu
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by 1 red gu » April 19th, 2012, 7:37 pm

har05l wrote:
1 red gu wrote:this place will be gone sooner than later or it will become another washed out zigzag or similar thanks to the dvd exposure
Funny you mention zig zag red gu, for years a place called the Spanish Steps had been a gated section of track that only 4wd clubs could access with keys supplied. It has come to a point where the gates are permanently open as they where forced opened to many times to bother anymore. This will one day force even more extensive closures in a bigger area :mad:

Capertee has been on my long wish list but as harb and lowranger made point of in a previous thread the place just needs time to dry and settle.

From the sounds of it gates will be up before I or any other responsible 4wdriver will get a chance :mad: :mad: :mad:
ye know it well my old club was involved in the track clean up many yaers ago and filling in the mud hole at the bottom to make things a bit safer
we did the whole picking up the key thing a few times but i havent been back there in years now

hoonboy18
Getting to know the place

Unread post by hoonboy18 » April 26th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Has anyone been to the Mt Airlie summit in the last say ...month? I am trying to work out whether to plan a trip up there in June and have read a recent report of tracks being closed etc.

I have contacted National Parks as the summit now sits within the Mugii Murum-ban State Conservation Area (so I'm told by NPWS), to enquire about camping. To which the reply was that camping is permitted at a place called Rock Bottom, near Airly Gap. However, I didn't tell them that I'm planning to do some driving in the area, including to the summit, so I have just emailed them asking whether there is 4WD access to the summit.

Any very recent first-hand reports (not rumours and grapevine heresay) would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Travis
Trav | TJH-00N
Previous vehicle: 1996 HZJ80R http://tinyurl.com/739r32j | Can't yet afford my next 4WD :-( | Currently have a bog stock VX Commodore

yobbo112
Been here a while

Unread post by yobbo112 » April 28th, 2012, 4:52 pm

All bets are off for the time being col has stopped acces through his property due to the state of the track.
This is not a rumour as i headed up their yesterday afternoon with the intention of camping/ wheeling.
We went and had a chat to col and he said you can't even get up to the camp ground its that bad, even the track to the grotto is mush!
Some people are planning to rectify damage caused during all this wet weather and hopefully access will be resumed in a few months......
Please respect his wishes, hes a good bloke who has tried for years to keep national parks from closing it down... don't give them the excuses they want!
I've only been there once :(
Don't Lock Up Australia!!!!!!

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » April 29th, 2012, 9:24 pm

MMmmmm....something going on there.....
We got told a similar story last time I went up ..... he was having a good moan about the amount of times he had contacted NAt Parks to come up and fix the road........ We went up anyway, and other than 1 bog hole right in past the camp area.. the roads were the best I have seen them in 20 years.....
Someone mentioned there may be an axe to grind over maintenance , and who pays and who profits.
I did my best to give col my normal $20 for the 2 cars we took up, but he flat out refused to take the money......with a lot of vigor actually, so I am guessing there may be a point to prove here.....anyones guess

yobbo112
Been here a while

Unread post by yobbo112 » April 30th, 2012, 2:00 pm

Hmmm..... i forgot to mention there was actually a sign out the front of his property stating there is no access temporarily.
We just went in to try and find out what was going on...
The impression we recieved was there was a fair bit off effort and i'm guessing $$$$$ to create drainage channels on the track and what ever else needs a touch up.
I wonder if the mine has their fingers in this :confused:

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » April 30th, 2012, 2:20 pm

I am guessing the money that everyone used to chuck in to pay towards the fuel to keep the track up to scratch has been banned now due the the Nat Parks taking over, so Col has no interest in keeping it happening at his cost....and is making a point....
Thats my take anyway......
They should just let people give him money like they used to....he knows whats needed more than anyone, and they should let him run the place, how he see's fit....and if that means charging a nominal maintenance fee....so be it.
Its my guess thats what is happening here.

The trouble is...once money is paid...it becomes legal fodder....and if anyone comes unstuck and decides to sue, all hell will break loose given Nat Parks are in the picture...... Sadly, like all things Nat Park, this spells the end of open access

hoonboy18

Unread post by hoonboy18 » May 1st, 2012, 9:40 am

Harb, you say:
We went up anyway, and other than 1 bog hole right in past the camp area.. the roads were the best I have seen them in 20 years.....
When are we talking here?
Trav | TJH-00N
Previous vehicle: 1996 HZJ80R http://tinyurl.com/739r32j | Can't yet afford my next 4WD :-( | Currently have a bog stock VX Commodore

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » May 1st, 2012, 9:45 am

mmmmm 2 months ago roughly

it was getting very overgrown, but the tracks were all easily drivable other than that 1 boggy area, which wasn't a real big deal

hoonboy18

Unread post by hoonboy18 » May 1st, 2012, 2:22 pm

Thanks for responses folks. I've just realised I'm posing in a trip report thread, so sorry about that.

It is very temping to head up soon to save missing out in case it is closed for good, but the right thing would be not to go up unless it gets fixed up between now and then.

I look forward to seeing it for the first time at some point though.
Trav | TJH-00N

yobbo112
Been here a while

Unread post by yobbo112 » May 1st, 2012, 3:01 pm

hoonboy18 wrote:Thanks for responses folks. I've just realised I'm posing in a trip report thread, so sorry about that.

It is very temping to head up soon to save missing out in case it is closed for good, but the right thing would be not to go up unless it gets fixed up between now and then.

I look forward to seeing it for the first time at some point though.
You see thats what we thought when we were there on friday, but when we went in to ask him what the go about the sign was he didn't call us blind and tell us to piss off or anything...
to much of a good bloke to tell him to shove it and keep driving if you know what i mean....
National parks takes ages to do anything, they are still in discussions with the "interested" parties about what is going on there, you bet there will be a gate but wether clubs can gain access to it is upto a few things that are still being nutted out! ***fingers crossed***
They still are yet to put up the draft plan of management for the area on the site for discussion yet, so we a still a fair bit off a gate yet....
Just make sure if their draft plan of management recomends gating this track, everyone and i mean everyone who values this place needs to email them citing their concerns...

People need to realise if we respect col's wishes, their is less chance the mine will prevent us crossing thier land to acces this track and national parks won't have a reason to close it, People aregearing up to repair some of the damage caused, to give the 4wd commmunity a better image don't make it harder for them....
Not going to lie, there is a cynical part of me that is thinking once these guys fix up the track without costing national parks a cent, they will gate it to prevent further damage or cost to maintain, i hope not.....

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » May 1st, 2012, 4:47 pm

From my experience with lots of proposals to "fix" problem area's in the Whatto's, its those proposals that got the tracks closed.
I would be very very careful going down that path...it will end up going against access.
As far as club access is concerned, that is also a waste of time..... a similar thing happened with the Spanish steps, and a key was held buy a club....the gates were ripped of the hinges so quick it made my head spin......
You have to understand that Nat Parks are not interested in club access now or ever....it creates them a liability issue that they don't need......they would rather let us Trespass or just close the track....either way they no longer have the problem....their funding simply does not allow for administration of bush tracks.
This is a fight between Col and Nat Parks over track maintenance , and only those pair will work it out.

Return to “New South Wales”