NSW Mt Airlie, Capertee

Wozza244
Been here a while

NSW Mt Airlie, Capertee

Unread post by Wozza244 » September 12th, 2011, 1:00 pm

We saw the 4wd action dvd and decide to go for a look there, i used to live a few more km down the road from the entry point at Col RIbaux's place. I hadnt seen him since about 07 but he remembered me, he hasnt changed at all, funny bloke!

We did pass a couple of clubs on the tracks, one of them were pretty rude but i wont name them. Attitudes like that get you nowhere out the bush, especially when you might need some help along the way.
We did see a classic bit of amateur navigation from one club member which near put a hilux on its side, i think only experienced people should be giving directions personally.

We had one of our blokes have a mishap and ended up on his side too, it was a lack of flex thing, plus having a really heavy custom canopy on the rear with rooftop tent, and he needed a few numbers to get up the hill and she laid over, but luckily only a scratched rear mudguard was the only damage.
Anyway heres a few pics from the wkend out.

Bullycruiser
Here and there

Re: NSW Mt Airlie, Capertee

Unread post by Bullycruiser » September 12th, 2011, 1:42 pm

:thumb: Looks like a good day out, some great photo's
:eek: Looks like the cruiser was very lucky to stop were he did it could of been very ugly.
Been talking about heading up there for a weekened after watching DVD looks like a great place.

smokescreen
Need to get out more

Unread post by smokescreen » September 12th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Great photo's mate thats one tuff looking track it looks like you had a great time well minus the roll over that is. :)
2000 GU Patrol TD4.2T ute
2013 GXL 200 Series TTD Diesel Landcruiser
2012 Can Am XMR 800

MJtroopy
Been here a while

Unread post by MJtroopy » September 26th, 2011, 6:10 pm

Looks like you guys had fun mate. Would you reckon this is lift and lockers country? Im thinking of heading out there pretty soon

wombat4u
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by wombat4u » September 26th, 2011, 7:09 pm

We took a 04 Suzuki Grand Vitara up to the top. Just got 2" lift and AT tyres, no lockers. No problems.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » September 26th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Awesome looking trip!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

Jay590
Here and there

Unread post by Jay590 » October 19th, 2011, 9:16 pm

we got a completely stock sierra up there and back. did not have to be recovered once

Red04VXE
Avid Poster

Unread post by Red04VXE » October 19th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Great pics bud, But didn't you read issue 170. Not allowed to post stuff like that anymore :crazy: :crazy:
New Toy, 1982 HJ60 2H 4spd 33's soon to have F&R LockRights and LongFields.

Em15_GU
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Em15_GU » February 17th, 2012, 5:47 pm

This looks like a bloody great trip! Im doing this with my hubby and son and some friends and family for the easter break and was wondering if anyone has Col's details to let him now and also my brother in law and sister have a camper trailer and are wondering if they can get it up the top. Any ideas anyone? :waycool:

paz
Been here a while

Unread post by paz » February 17th, 2012, 6:36 pm

Have done the trip, it's a bloody great day out!

Have a mate who has towed a camper to the top twice, not something i would do though, oh, and as far as i know you are no longer allowed to camp anywhere there.

As for Col's details, sorry but i do not know.

Paz

xsi
Here and there

Unread post by xsi » February 17th, 2012, 7:07 pm

Since this mag publicised this track the gate at the end has been torn down and you can bet some lard arses will drive the last section to the lookout. How long now before NPWS gates the bottom end?

Em15_GU
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Em15_GU » February 18th, 2012, 6:06 pm

So you cant do the track at all anymore? Or you can do the track, walk the last section to the lookout and but not aloud to camp anywhere on the property?

Lowranger
Here and there

Unread post by Lowranger » February 18th, 2012, 7:50 pm

xsi wrote:Since this mag publicised this track the gate at the end has been torn down and you can bet some lard arses will drive the last section to the lookout. How long now before NPWS gates the bottom end?
Dave
This is disappointing to hear :irked: When did this happen,any idea?
When will people learn,I suspect not until we are all locked out of another beautiful place.And even then I don't think these mindless idiots learn,they just move on to another spot and ruin it.
A bit like the fools that keep taking unregistered COMP type trucks onto public land and ripping it up.

Lowranger
Here and there

Unread post by Lowranger » February 18th, 2012, 8:02 pm

Em15_GU wrote:This looks like a bloody great trip! Im doing this with my hubby and son and some friends and family for the easter break and was wondering if anyone has Col's details to let him now and also my brother in law and sister have a camper trailer and are wondering if they can get it up the top. Any ideas anyone? :waycool:
You don't need to contact Col prior to going there any more,just drop in on the way through and pay him the courtesy as you pass through his property.
You can't camp on Cols' property any longer,but you can camp on the mountain.
The track leading to the top of the mountain is steep and very loose,and to take a camper trailer up there after all the rain we have had; would more than likely cause a lot of unnesessary wear and tear on the track.I would suggest a tent is all you would want to take up there.

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » February 18th, 2012, 9:10 pm

Yeah you would get a trailer up to the left turn up to the camping area( Diamond mine ), but not a chance to the end point...... well I guess you could, but I very much doubt you would want too !!
At the moment its best to keep away from it (the longer sandstone track) until its had a bit of time to dry out..... its possible to get through, but it would make a mess in an otherwise Non Challenging part of the drive, and just cause grief for all that follow.....
Its all under the control of Nat Parks now, and we don't need to give them reasons to gate it off.......
The first section however up to the diamond mine is easy as long as you give it a few days to dry out as its not as boggy as the extended track, and could be done with a tricycle as long as you pedal carefully :)

As lowranger has mentioned all you need do is let Col know on the way past as you have to drive less than 2m past his house, so its just good form.
I have seen heaps of camper trailers up to the camping section, but it is steep in sections and like everything depending on your skill it could be a sunday drive or an exercise in extreme winching...... take your time and I recon it will be all good.

Return to “New South Wales”