Abercrombie river national park

dats4real
Been here a while

Abercrombie river national park

Unread post by dats4real » July 26th, 2011, 6:18 am

Went here for the weekend just gone, Is a really nice place. We decided to go in the hard way, 4wd only access of course. This was felled timber road on to bald hill fire trial. It had some very steep and challenging sections. And was a lot harder than i thought it would be. We seen heaps of wild life, wombats emus possums roos. We did the complete circuit through the park. I recommend a trip there if you live in the area.
Heres a video i made of some of the epic hill climbs and river crossings, lol
Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwRFZv_vz0k
Check it out

Nagz
Been here a while

Re: Abercrombie river national park

Unread post by Nagz » July 26th, 2011, 11:46 am

Sounds really good mate, have been thinking about going down that way myself when i get the truck sorted out. Did you get any pictures?

dats4real
Been here a while

Unread post by dats4real » July 26th, 2011, 7:58 pm

i do have some photos, check the video out aswell, because that gives you a better idea of what to expect!!!

Nagz
Been here a while

Unread post by Nagz » July 26th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Looks awesome in the vid :) cant wait.

A.j
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by A.j » August 10th, 2011, 11:37 am

I've been going in there for years now and I've never seen the rivers that high!
Would of been a good trip

merango
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by merango » August 10th, 2011, 12:11 pm

This was the first place I took my Hilux. Awesome weekend of learning what it could do! Really nice spot!

djs0276
Here and there

Unread post by djs0276 » August 14th, 2011, 4:16 pm

Nice Vid. A lot more water around than when I was there last year.

where2fromhere
Here and there

Unread post by where2fromhere » February 16th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Hey Guys, great vid. We're planning on going up in a few weeks time. Any maps and or tracks you'd suggest?taking some competent cars so you can throw what you like at us. Look forward to hearing from you.
Mark

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » February 17th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Hi where2fromhere
boiling billy has a trip in there book " 4wd trips Out Of Sydney" Topo map is Arkstone
How wet the tracks are is the only limiting factor for a 4wd with low range or if the area has seen unusual heavy rainfall & the Retreat River is in flood .
The Sink is my favourite camp site with a tent or a little side track on the left just before the sink CA with the camper .
Word of advice don't tell your mates that they can visit The Licking Hole when they get there.
Cheers TLC60S

llcoolbc
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by llcoolbc » June 11th, 2014, 8:59 am

Hey guys, doing the Abercrombie River in a few weeks and wanting to kick off along Felled Timber Rd. Won't be getting their until late on a Friday night though - any bush campsite suggestions?

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » June 11th, 2014, 9:52 am

Not really any bush camping in Abercrombie. The Parks people have built several great camping areas around the park with long drop dunnies.
When you get to one of the park entrances, there should be a big sign plus a box of pamphlets/maps showing where everything is.

Watch the Bald hill area if its wet (or has been wet). mate wrote off his 76 there when it simply slid down the hill and fronted a tree. It gets real slippery on that part.

llcoolbc
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by llcoolbc » June 11th, 2014, 10:08 am

Thanks Wombling. Do you think it would be possible to camp somewhere at the start of Felled Timber Rd just off the main road? Don't fancy tackling some steep sections in the dark! Cheers

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » June 12th, 2014, 12:52 am

Hi llcoolbc
If your coming in from Goulburn you can camp at Bumaroo Ford & if your entering from Oberon it's just as quick to go in via Arkstone which is sign posted off the Goulburn to Oberon Road & camp at the sink camping area with easy access . The start of felled Timber track has flat sections but not the best if your looking for a spot in the dark.
Cheers TLC60S

WomblingFree
Been here a while

Unread post by WomblingFree » June 16th, 2014, 1:49 pm

llcoolbc wrote:Thanks Wombling. Do you think it would be possible to camp somewhere at the start of Felled Timber Rd just off the main road? Don't fancy tackling some steep sections in the dark! Cheers
Not too sure where that bit is but I've been through there around 11pm in the middle of winter and seen people camping off to the side of the tracks due to uncertainty about crossing the freezing cold rivers in the dark.
If you did then you'd probably want to move in the morning anyway to gain a nicer spot.

Avoid long weekends and public holidays and you'll likely have the place to yourself.

llcoolbc
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by llcoolbc » June 16th, 2014, 3:46 pm

Thanks guys. Anyone ever camped at the campsite at Black Springs on the Abercrombie rd from Oberon?

Return to “New South Wales”