Are the NSW Floods affecting the Hill End area?

GUfreak
Getting to know the place

Are the NSW Floods affecting the Hill End area?

Unread post by GUfreak » December 9th, 2010, 12:28 pm

We are planning a trip around the Hill End area of NSW over Christmas period, was just wondering if or how bad the floods have affected this particular area of NSW,
Cheers
Last edited by Peter Aawen on December 30th, 2010, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
I own a GU Patrol and am not afraid to use it!
I teach welding!
If you want to learn from a tradesman
of 25+ years experience then pm me.
http://kevsrandomlife.wordpress.com

Pferdmann
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Floods NSW

Unread post by Pferdmann » December 10th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Hi mate
The Turon crossing just outside of hill end was up about a meter a few weeks ago when i was there, so with all the rain they have had out that way i reckon it would be up quite abit now
And also dunno if you know but monhagans bluff is out of action due to some rocks falling and taking a section of the road out

sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Regards
Blake

GUfreak

Unread post by GUfreak » December 10th, 2010, 7:58 pm

That's ok mate, better to find out now that have to reverse the trailer a k or two
I teach welding!

stephend
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by stephend » December 16th, 2010, 8:14 pm

The bridle track is closed since about september not sure where-but the rest of the area should be pretty good for a trip-and you can still drive most of the track either from orange or hill end if you wanted to. On the plus side the dams are up and its all very green compared to normal.

GUfreak

Unread post by GUfreak » December 21st, 2010, 10:38 am

Which end is the Bluff??
I teach welding!

Marauder
Here and there

Unread post by Marauder » December 24th, 2010, 7:55 am

Yes the Bridle track is closed at Monahans bluff. Indefinatley!!!
As per the last media release from Bathurst council. How ever there is still some camp grounds that can be accessed from the Bathurst side. There is Root hog fire trail and river crossing (which will get you past the rock slide) but maybe not with a trailer. Those camp grounds on the Hill end side include Johnsons hole reserve, Randwick hole & Grimleys hotel reserve.
Merry Christmas
Matt

GUfreak

Unread post by GUfreak » December 30th, 2010, 8:45 am

Bit of an update...... We got rained out on our first night, and as the first river was up by about a metre we decided to go home and leave the trailer and head up to Brisbane and go to the theme parks. so thanks to all for the info and bring on summer!!!

VK2SS55
I'm new, be nice!

Re: Are the NSW Floods affecting the Hill End area?

Unread post by VK2SS55 » December 30th, 2010, 5:18 pm

G'day
We've just had a good couple of days on the Turon , up the Turon Gates end . You can come in from Sunny Corner or Capertee . We came in from Capertee and there was only a short muddy section and a few shallow river crossings .
Cheers Ross

1996Surf
Here and there

Unread post by 1996Surf » January 2nd, 2011, 8:26 am

I read that the Turon NP is closed due to flooding, which could mean that you cant get througgh via Suny Corner. My suggestion is to ring the NP at bathurst. Let us know what you find as it would be a good trip to do

cheers

1996Surf
Here and there

Unread post by 1996Surf » January 2nd, 2011, 8:28 am

VK2SS55 wrote:G'day
We've just had a good couple of days on the Turon , up the Turon Gates end . You can come in from Sunny Corner or Capertee . We came in from Capertee and there was only a short muddy section and a few shallow river crossings .
Cheers Ross
Sorry I didnt see your post, so are you saying you can easily get through from Sunny Corner via Upper Turon to Sofala?

1996Surf
Here and there

Unread post by 1996Surf » January 7th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Hi all,
just spoke to Bathurst NP & Lithgow NP & both confirmed that no roads are closed between sunny corner & hillend. Turon NP is closed but access from Capertee is still open. I intend to go up either next tuesday/wednesday so you will let you know how I go

Flynndog
Been here a while

Unread post by Flynndog » January 9th, 2011, 11:52 am

We camped at Mary Flynn reserve over new years and had it all to ourselves. Access from Hill End towards Bathurst is fine until you reach Monahans (as said). Large rock fall and landslip makes sure of that, but a commendation for stupidity must go to the person/s who got through!
There was also a large rock stopping most campers getting through.
Bridle Track is good enough to get a Captiva through anyway :p

It doesn't take much rain at the moment to bring the Turon up to impassable levels over the crossing so be prepared if you go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spook001
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by Spook001 » January 11th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Hi guys, we also camped up at hill end on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of Jan. It rained on the 4th bringing the river up to about 600mm in the middle of the crossing(i could just walk out to roughly the middle without being washed away) rather than risk it we stayed another night and crossed the next morning after it dropped about 100mm. We crossed without any problems (100 series with 2 inch lift, snorkel and muddies) May of been ok at 600mm but the water was rushing through pretty quickly. as mentioned previously no way through the bridle track and thanks to whover dragged those large rocks off the track near the camp grounds!
Cheers.

1996Surf
Here and there

Unread post by 1996Surf » January 16th, 2011, 7:31 am

I did the trip to Hill End from Sunny Corner, via Palmers Oakley through Upper Turon last Tuesday & Wednesday. All of the river crossings were between 400 & 600mm which was fine. The section of track near Upper Turon was spectactular, narrow slippery & quite steep in places, but the scenery was fantastic. There was a section of about 30km that took aver an hour to transverse, but the trip was well worth while.

DIRTYJACK
Avid Poster

Unread post by DIRTYJACK » January 21st, 2011, 8:28 pm

Good to see some of you have gotten to camp on the Turon its a top spot.
We tried to get down to Marry Flyns on Boxing day but they had had 5 inches the day before so the Turon resembled a flood zone.
Went to Newns instead and had a great time there. :thumb:

Return to “New South Wales”