Motleys Desert Adventure 2010 (pic heavy)

RASPUTIN
Been here a while

Re: Motleys Desert Adventure 2010 (pic heavy)

Unread post by RASPUTIN » September 17th, 2010, 8:55 am

Truely appreciated. Thanks for sharing :thumb: :)

80crazy
Avid Poster

Unread post by 80crazy » September 17th, 2010, 9:14 am

Hey Rumpig mate great trip report and awesome pics mate looks like you guys had a blast, Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Gary

Stampy
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Stampy » September 17th, 2010, 9:35 am

rumpig wrote:tuning the car radio to Toowoomba's local station as we entered town i heard them say it was a chilly 5 degrees in town, which on exiting my vehicle at the camping store carpark i agreed with fully, abit nippy for a born and bred Brisbane boy...lol...oh well it was just a taste of the cold temps to be expected out west along the way.
You're not getting soft are you Rummy? It got colder than that here this year and I imagine colder still out west.

That was a great read. It sounded like a good trip and as Kev said, top pictures too!

Paul
el en one oh 6

rumpig
Need to get out more

Unread post by rumpig » September 17th, 2010, 4:05 pm

cheers for all the replies guys :thumb:
Stampy wrote: You're not getting soft are you Rummy? It got colder than that here this year and I imagine colder still out west.
maybe i am in my old age mate...lol
was definately colder further out West, especially the night the water iced up in the washing up bucket...lol..nothing a few drinks doesn't knock the chill off of :thumb:

BJs 40troopy
Here and there

Unread post by BJs 40troopy » October 16th, 2010, 7:46 am

Hey Mate what a great read,

Thanks for sharing, Looks like you had a great time

BJ

BennyT50
Avid Poster

Unread post by BennyT50 » October 16th, 2010, 10:08 am

Excellent trip report. Couldn't stop reading it. Made me feel that I was there with you.

BennyT50
BennyT50 - BT-50 SDX Dual Cab
Canopy, Bullbar, Tub Liner, ERPS, Snorkel, UHF, Dual battery, Side steps, Towbar, In-car camera.

rumpig
Need to get out more

Unread post by rumpig » October 17th, 2010, 7:45 am

BJs 40troopy wrote:Hey Mate what a great read,

Thanks for sharing, Looks like you had a great time

BJ
BennyT50 wrote:Excellent trip report. Couldn't stop reading it. Made me feel that I was there with you.

BennyT50
cheers guys, glad you enjoyed the read.
was definately a great trip, already planning next years 5 week trip to Kakadu now, so will have to try and better this report...lol

TrueBlueNavara
Been here a while

Unread post by TrueBlueNavara » December 24th, 2010, 4:12 am

Great pics. Very informative aswell.

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » December 24th, 2010, 9:05 am

Thanks Mal, and well done to all who joined you on that trip, thanks also for taking the time to post it up here.

Mal it might be helpful to post which tyres and other products gave you and your group trouble on the trip.Some of this journey was where I traveled on an Endeavour car rally back in 97, we did Ayres Rock and camped at Curtain Springs, for those who don`t know about Mt Connor it is a magnificent thing to see.

We stayed underground next to the underground church while in that town.

Thanks and well done.

David
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

rumpig
Need to get out more

Unread post by rumpig » December 25th, 2010, 7:30 am

Laidley 62 Series wrote: Mal it might be helpful to post which tyres and other products gave you and your group trouble on the trip.

David
hey David,
one of the tyres that got a puncture was a Mickey T MTZ and that was on the Old Ghan Line. in it's defence, the tyres on this vehicle were very worn, and IMHO shouldn't have come along on the trip to start with, but the owner couldn't afford new rubber before doing the trip. i was actually very surprised these tyres didn't get more then the one puncture that they did, i guess running the right tyre pressures for each location helped alot.

the other 2 tyres to get holed /destroyed (one couldn't be plugged at all), belonged to the one vehicle and were Kelly tyres but not sure what type exactly. whilst i'm not a fan of this brand (i have a mate who got numerous punctures with them many years back on an Endevour Rally), i am also going to attribute the tyre pressures being run on the vehicle as part of the problem also. IMHO the pressures the tyres were being run at on that particular vehicle (mine were atleast 5 psi lower), were abit high for the terrain we were on at the time when the first tyre got detroyed in Finke Gorge, but the second tyre just shouldn't have got a puncture on the track into Chambers Pillar where it did.

the fuel tank that Rick had trouble with i can't remember the brand, but it wasn't a big name such as Longranger or LRA etc, it was a cheaper brand of which i would have to find out the companies name. after the tank mount was gussetted up and rewelded and tank reinstalled without the rubber spacers the company supplies, it posed no more problems. we blamed the rubber and lack of gussetting of the tank mount, for allowing the tank to flex up and down on the mount and then crack the weld, once this was changed / fixed the tank worked fine afterwards.

the same can be said for his rear bar / wheel carrier also, it wasn't a big name brand like Kaymar or ARB, i think it was a custom made job he got done by a fabricator. the bar itself has been fine i beleive, it's just the spring type latch that held the carrier shut that was the problem. if a different latch was used then no problem would have existed IMHO.

other stuff we had problems with was my old GME uhf radio, but it was 15 years old and has done trips all over Australia including Cape York twice and many many trips inbetween, so i can't complain with how long it lasted.

other breakages like my wheel bearing and the Patrols bearing problem were just from old age / wera and tear. whilst replacing my wheel bearings before i left would have saved my drama (they'll be done before next year trip to double make sure...lol), the Patrol was just a random breakage and not something you'd be able to stop from happening IMHO.

i think that covers all the stuff that broke from memory...lol

Laidley 62 Series
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Laidley 62 Series » December 25th, 2010, 9:52 am

Thanks for the response Mal, it might help someone else to read where the failures were and why, wheel bearings failing due to age could be corrected by replacement before trip as stated, tyres past their use by date well that is a no brainer.

I guess we all have diff. budgets and even if all the replacements were done before hand then something else would break. lol

David
1985 F J 62, barn doors, poverty pack.

My Karma ran over my Dogma.

God created the 60 Series, man made the rest.

60 Series trip to Cape York 2013.

eviljesus
Been here a while

Unread post by eviljesus » March 30th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Hi rumpig,

Mate just wondering if i could grab a more indepth itinerary off you by any chance? My old man, myself and a few other tag alongs are planning to do this at the end of july. Taking 3 cars at the minmum but hopefully 4. Everyone's leave has been approved and we're steaming ahead!

Your trip is pretty much exactly what we are wanting to do, so anymore info that you can share it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Evil.

rumpig
Need to get out more

Unread post by rumpig » April 14th, 2011, 5:18 pm

eviljesus wrote:Hi rumpig,

Mate just wondering if i could grab a more indepth itinerary off you by any chance? My old man, myself and a few other tag alongs are planning to do this at the end of july. Taking 3 cars at the minmum but hopefully 4. Everyone's leave has been approved and we're steaming ahead!

Your trip is pretty much exactly what we are wanting to do, so anymore info that you can share it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Evil.
i hadn't viewed this section since they changed the trip reports section on the forum, lucky you P.M'd me a week back or i wouldn't have replied....lol

cowboy
Here and there

Unread post by cowboy » April 25th, 2011, 9:26 pm

love that country i use to go over and talk to ziggy at the pub [betoota] when he was alive as i use to work on the station were the pub was mount lenard which the homestead was across the creek. you brought back some old memorys there

rumpig
Need to get out more

Unread post by rumpig » April 28th, 2011, 12:28 pm

cowboy wrote:love that country i use to go over and talk to ziggy at the pub [betoota] when he was alive as i use to work on the station were the pub was mount lenard which the homestead was across the creek. you brought back some old memorys there
the old pub is definately looking worse for wear these days sadly.

Return to “Epic Adventures/Multi-State”