Sa, Nt & Wa trip

rossimo
Been here a while

Sa, Nt & Wa trip

Unread post by rossimo » November 11th, 2015, 2:13 pm

A few months ago I headed off after work on another trip through outback sa into the nt to my mates place and from there we headed over to wa. Was away for 4 weeks, covered 11,000kms, took around 2,000 pics, met a heap of legends and had a ball. Cannot wait to get back out that way again. Anyway, to the pics.

Where all my trips start, the borefield rd olympic dam, leaving from work means I'm already 600kms into it.

One of hundreds of cattle encountered along the borefield rd and Oodnadatta track.

One of many old ghan rail bridges.

rossimo
Been here a while

Re: Sa, Nt & Wa trip

Unread post by rossimo » November 11th, 2015, 2:15 pm

The first night I stayed at the Beresford ruins along the Oodnadatta track.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 11th, 2015, 2:20 pm

The second night I stayed at the algebuckina waterhole.

Algebuckina bridge.

One of the old wrecks along the Oodnadatta track.

A few sturt desert peas along the way.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 11th, 2015, 2:26 pm

The following night I stayed at Erldunda and set off to see the big rock the following day. Mount Connor on the way to Uluru.

Uluru.

Had to get a pic of the 76 and Uluru while I was there.

The Olgas.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 11th, 2015, 2:38 pm

It was then back on the stuart hwy and onto the devils marbles hotel at Wauchope, this has to be one of my favourite places to stay, a little oasis in the middle of nowhere. Ant and the crew there are a friendly bunch and I've always had a good time there over the years.

This woman I met out the front and insisted I take a pic of her and her "guard" dog as she called him, but he was tiny and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Sunset out the front of the hotel.

The devils marbles is a pretty strange place, so many bizzare rocks.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 11th, 2015, 2:52 pm

From Wauchope I ended up heading to Mataranka where I stayed at Territory Manor Motel & Caravan Park, this was a pretty laid back place where you'd be greeted by wallabies, peacocks and the kites would watch you and their prey from above.

After I left Mataranka I headed to my mates place at Timber Creek where I ran into a few donkeys.

And horses.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 11th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Spent a couple of days at my mates place relaxing, fishing and enjoying a few beers.

My first and the only barra caught over the couple of days fishing, a small one at 79cm but still the biggest fish I've caught. We caught a heap of catfish and bull sharks which was fun but let them go as the barra was more than we needed at the time.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 11th, 2015, 3:12 pm

This was probably the biggest salty we came across in the couple of days spent fishing the vic.

On the way back to the boat ramp we came across splashing at the bank/waters edge and went over to investigate. What we saw was a salty that had just snagged a meal and was chomping it down. We just sat and watched, a bit in disbelief that we had witnessed it. By the time I got the camera out and we got closer it had pretty much just finished. Was pretty cool to see a croc take and eat its prey in the wild. We assumed it to be a wallaby as they were always so close to the waters edge.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 11th, 2015, 3:20 pm

After a few days of fishing we'd packed up and were headed west.

Lake Argyle.

The Grotto near Wyndham.

Some local art visible from the 5 rivers lookout at Wyndham.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 11th, 2015, 3:24 pm

And then began the adventure down the Gibb River rd. I'll continue here and update this next week when I get back from work.

BigDutchy
Need to get out more

Unread post by BigDutchy » November 11th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Great trip mate! Thanks.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 20th, 2015, 8:24 am

BigDutchy wrote:Great trip mate! Thanks.
Cheers mate, there's so much awesome stuff to see out there and not enough time to see it.

First night on the gibb was at el questro, nice place but a bit too "touristy" for my liking. The following day we checked out the el questro gorge before setting off further south down the gibb. After speaking to a few other travellers there I was intrigued by the condition of the gibb road surface as several people said it was in too bad a shape that they were not going to travel any further that el questro, it turned out to be one of the best dirt roads I've ever driven.

Plenty of this view in the journey into the gorge.

Came across a few critters along the way, plenty of small fish in the rock pools, a couple of small snakes and frogs.

About halfway maybe a little further in you come across a couple of pretty large rocks blocking the way, the photos don't do them much justice but they were somewhat tricky to navigate past. The water was around 1200mm deep on the far left (much deeper on the right) but was probably the easiest route past. Several people we encountered ended their journey here as it was too difficult to pass.

At the end of the gorge there's a waterfall and pool.

Zebedee springs was a good place to relax after around 6hrs of trekking through el questro gorge.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 20th, 2015, 8:44 am

Not far down the road is the Pentecost river crossing, at this time of year it was very shallow and easily passable without hazard.

The view of the Cockburn ranges from the lookout.

That night we stayed at Home valley station at the campground away from the station on the Pentecost waterfront, this was a good place to stay and you could easily spend a couple of days kicking back wetting a line in the river, although we and no one else there caught anything this time.

The ranges light up well as the sun came down.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 20th, 2015, 9:18 am

Further down the gibb we took the turnoff to Kalumburu and headed towards Mitchell falls, a quick pitstop at Drysdale river station for diesel and one of their burgers which I highly recommend and we were back on the road. That night was spent at King Edward river, again you could spend some time here swimming and chilling out by the river. This was a pretty quiet place and as such camp spaces were surplus.

The trek into Mitchell falls is a relatively solid one, there's a few sites along the way in. Little Merten falls is the first.

Big Merten falls.

Just up from big mertens is this large pool.

rossimo
Been here a while

Unread post by rossimo » November 20th, 2015, 9:30 am

On the trek in we ran into a few blokes with a 105 cruiser and hilux, Jake, Mark and Damo from vic who were on a similar trip to us. We'd run into these fellas a few more times along the way at Surveyors pool, walsh point port warrender, Drysdale river and mount Barnett.

Further along and you get to Mitchell falls, this is the first look at it, looking down the falls.

A bit of a walk around to the left gets you into a few different spots to view the falls.

Spotted this little rock monster, it was in a pretty hairy spot on the cliff face to begin with but made it out and off into the scrub. It was a pretty cool sight to see.

Return to “Epic Adventures/Multi-State”