Edjits 2014 Centreing the Simpson

Bushie
Been here a while

Re: Edjits 2014 Centreing the Simpson

Unread post by Bushie » January 4th, 2015, 2:58 pm

Day 30 - 3 August

From Poontana Creek it was a straightforward drive out to the Strzelecki which we hit just after morning tea, and pulled in behind a road train, luckily passing it was easy on the wide sections of the track (which is 90% of it). We headed to Yaningurie waterhole on Strzelecki creek for a look around and then tried to find the "old" road that ran along the NSW border projection, (along the 29deg latitude). One in the group had driven this in the late 70s, and it was shown on old maps but we were unable to find any evidence of the road, one promising track in nearly the right place finished at some yards and a fence. We did find a track that was heading NE but was no public access (it came out at Haydons Bore on the Merty Merty road) while it would have saved some kms we didn't know where it went at the time and was private anyhow.

Yaningurie Waterhole

Heading up towards Innamincka we took the Merty Merty road, which was in pretty poor condition very badly corrugated with numerous dune caps 'blown' out resulting in large holes on the crests. We arrived at Cameron Corner, and settled in for a few beers, camping behind a dune not far from the store (in Qld).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgZEDT7ahtM
A bit rough

Martyn

Bushie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bushie » January 4th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Day 31 - 4 August

From Cameron Corner we headed east and then turned south at Waka heading down through Hewart Downs to Robbies Waterhole before turning east again to Milparinka, we camped the night at Depot Glen, although the waterhole was dry.

Robbies Waterhole

Martyn

Bushie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bushie » January 4th, 2015, 3:00 pm

Day 32 - 5 August

From camp at Depot Glen we headed out to Pooles Grave, and then up to the top of Mt Poole for a look at the Cairn, my last trip out this way in 1989 we couldn't located Depot Glen and had to camp elsewhere.

Sign at Depot Glen

Blazed tree by Sturt

Cairn on top of Mt Poole - built by Sturts men - to keep them occupied

After leaving Mt Poole we headed back into Milparinka to the pub for a nice hot $3 shower, this was the first time the pub had been open for any of my visits, previously it had been shut down.

Restored buildings in Milparinka

From Milparinka we headed east to Wanaaring, managing to score a goat on the way, a meal for the group after the Louth races. We camped for the night on a back water (well it would have been if there was water) of the Paroo river just north of town.

Martyn

Bushie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bushie » January 4th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Day 33 - 6 August

First job for the morning was to package the goat meat and get it distributed between the available fridges to keep cool, it was vacuum packed and put away and we headed south from Wanaaring towards Tongo stopping in at Nocoleche waterhole which is now part of the restricted entry Nocoleche nature reserve. The waterhole is the only 'day visit' part of the reserve open.
Continuing south we turned east at the Tongo homestead, and headed for Tilpa for lunch of fish and chips at the pub.

Packing goat

Nocoleche Waterhole

Tilpa Weir

Martyn

Bushie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bushie » January 4th, 2015, 3:02 pm

Day 34-38 - 7-11 August

The official finish to our trips is at the Louth Races, from Tilpa its a quick 100km drive along the Darling to Louth, which had us arriving late morning ready to set up camp.
Here we were to meet up with Wash, who had unfortunately had to withdraw at the last minute. Ross (my son) and Maddy who had come up to meet us, Phil and Robyn, Shep and Craig, Trevor, and Phil.
Over the weekend we spent time at Shindys Inn, visited the school fete, the races (of course) and fishing in the Darling (only catching bloody carp).

Louth School fete

RAAF Balloon

Lost again

Happy Birthday Amanda

From Louth it was a long 800+km drive home on the Monday.

Another Edjits trip had come to an end.

Martyn

Bushie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bushie » January 4th, 2015, 3:04 pm

It was a plaque the same as this that was on the DVD, where a visit to the Geo-centre was made with the Hema Map crew.

Martyn

Bushie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bushie » January 4th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Details of fuel used,

Individual L/100 mean nothing as I wasn't consistently filling, sometimes I would fill both tanks, sometimes I would run off the aux tank, but then only fill the main tank, and of course there's the jerry cans filled at Mt Dare that ended up with some left in them that was added to the main tank later.

Still $1600+ for 5 weeks and 7200+ km I think is OK

Martyn

Bushie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bushie » January 4th, 2015, 3:07 pm

Overview of the trip, with a couple of gaps.

Martyn

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » March 16th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Hi Bushie
Awesome adventure .
Do you or anyone in your party have a total figure how much your trip cost per vehicle !

Cheers TLC60S

monkeybucket
Part of the furniture

Unread post by monkeybucket » March 16th, 2015, 10:18 pm

Great trip Bushie...Got me dreaming again.
Cheers
Chris.

Off road when I'm good...in the shed when I'm naughty.

South West All Terrain ... www.swat4x4.com

shambles
Been here a while

Unread post by shambles » March 22nd, 2015, 8:18 pm

Great read, thanks Bushie for taking the time to put it out there :thumb:

Bushie
Been here a while

Unread post by Bushie » March 30th, 2015, 7:29 am

TLC60S wrote:Hi Bushie
Awesome adventure .
Do you or anyone in your party have a total figure how much your trip cost per vehicle !

Cheers TLC60S

Haven't really looked at total costs, that would include servicing before we left, additional parts to carry, food, beer, eating at the occasional pub etc, 'caravan park' fees (although these were minimal).

I'll have a look later and try to get a feel for the total figure.

Martyn

Return to “Epic Adventures/Multi-State”