Whirlwind Trip From the Cape to Tassie - 3rd & final chapter

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Whirlwind Trip From the Cape to Tassie - 3rd & final chapter

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 18th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Part 1 (this is gunna take awhile sorry guys)

So as some of you may know, I had an offer to take the 4wdAction boys on a trip in my home state.

It took a bit of bribing and some underhanded dealings for my boss to agree to give me 5 weeks off without pay (i had only been in that job for 3 months at that stage)

So within 2 weeks of the phone call Sid was loaded and ready to head south. It seemed like i didnt really have enough gear for a 5 week trip, but it goes to show you dont need to pack heavy, turned out I had way more than I needed!

My mate Sam from Weipa Auto happened to have an empty truck heading to Cairns and offered to chuck Sid on it for me and I rode shotgun with him, at least I had someone to talk to for that day!

For a while my rear diff had been growling away happily, but I was a bit nervous to take it all the way to tassie and back with it in that condition, so I planned to spend a few days in cairns and hit up my mate Justin from NQ Crash in Cairns to see if I could use his hoist and get his mechanic to wave his magic wand over my rear diff.

Whilst I was at it, I dropped the front diff out and chucked some new airlocker seals in and basically rebuilt the front end.

Last edited by crankycruiser on November 19th, 2014, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Re: Whirlwind Trip From the Cape to Tassie

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 18th, 2014, 8:01 pm

After getting Sid all back together, and buying half of NQ Crash as spares (highly recommend them for genuine toytoa new parts as well as second hand parts, Im not even joking, they have more on the shelf than Toyota, they even had a new rear brake bias valve!), I hit the road again and headed to mums joint in mackay and figured I may as well relax there for a couple of days!

From Mackay I headed inland to head down the guts and avoid the big cities and highways, Ive gotta say I enjoyed going this way much more than going down the coast, especially when trying to pump out 900 - 1000k a day.

I headed down through a heap of cool little towns and eventually through Roma, and Dubbo way, the trip was pretty uneventful right through to melbourne, on one day I pumped out 1300k.. was a damn long day, and damn did that FTE love it, on the highway it averages 13.5l/100k, my best day was a 13lt flat!

The red moon taken at Surat (only taken with my crappy phone)

I dont even remember where this was, but WTF!?

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 18th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Once in Melbourne I had to fit up some 35" Mickey T's for a bit of good old product placement on the DVD, also fitted up a Kings awning (I have to admit, it is a pretty good awning for a cheapie!)

I met up with Rodney from Wholesale Automatics to sort our ***** out before the big trip, now up to this point I had just literally been throwing my swag out on the side of the road to camp, and with this being a bit hard in Melbourne, Rodneys business partner Stu offered to let me stay at his joint, pretty cool considering I had never met the bloke!

As well as being my host he also showed me some of the sites out near where he lived, was a pretty cool day cruising around and checking out the sights on the outskirts of melbourne.

On the right hand side of this photo you can just make out where the water is running into the pool, many years ago when they were mining the area the actually dug a hole through the mountain to divert the river so they could mine it easier, damn mammoth effort!

Last edited by crankycruiser on November 18th, 2014, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 18th, 2014, 8:09 pm

This very unusual joint is Boinga Bobs house https://www.facebook.com/groups/230503323797028/ its a crazy place to see!

To finish up the day it was head to the boat to Tassie! Id been hanging to get home on a wheeling trip for over 12 months, couldnt believe it was actually happening... Now to just keep Sid in one piece for the next two weeks of filming!

Front and centre of the spirit! (admittedly not the best place to be when its rough!)

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » November 18th, 2014, 8:44 pm

looks like a great trip, look forward to more updates.

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 18th, 2014, 8:47 pm

Part 2:

Well I finally made it to tassie, but had still yet to lock the hubs in!, We hung out in devonport for a bit waiting for the rest of the crew to turn up on the plane and also had to wait for my mates to turn up from down south..

4wdAction does Burnie....

After a day of relaxing and getting food etc we hit the road to our first destination, nice little town called Waratah.

Finally we got to lock the hubs in, we were nearly at the track and already Rodney was getting on interesting angles!

Now unfortunately I dont have to many pics of this part of our adventure, simply because there was too much going on and I had no time to get the camera out.

This was a usual sight over the next 12+ hours

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 18th, 2014, 8:48 pm

Not even tight

Basically I spent the next 6hours in mud up to my knees being a winch bitch... had a killer time!

Eventually we did make it to our destination, love this hut!

Some random pics of the next day, in no particular order.

Elliots cruiser decided the heat proof matt was actually not heat proof and caught fire!

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 18th, 2014, 8:49 pm

Slight breaking issue (pun intended) with the lux

Cleaning the crap out of the beads

Repairing the hub on the big 79

Like I said there was too much going on the get many pics, but I dont want to give too much away for the DVD anyway!

We finished up at the Waratah falls! its unreal to think these are smack bang in the middle of the town!

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 18th, 2014, 9:01 pm

In between DVDs we had a couple of "rest days", but it was time to sort out all the bugs that the first week had shown up.

My biggest problem was, once I got to the cold climate, I discovered that my thermostat was stuck wide open and poor Sid would not warm up unless winding through the hills on the bitumen, let alone idling in the bush! Graham and myself spent a cold 4 days in at Waratah I tell that that! and poor Rodney had to follow my trail of unused diesel due to the computer feeding heaps of fuel in due to it running so cold....

Nature in my airbox

We turned the hotel car park into a workshop...

Some of us turned it into more of a workshop than others..........................

For the scratches... these will work? right........?

First bit of panel damage

May we have A drink please..

Special Bunch of people right there........

Next up was DVD #2........

Ill finish up tomorrow, my damn fingers hurt!

Mattricho12
Here and there

Unread post by Mattricho12 » November 18th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Nice Raydar
Living the dream, living the dream!

pickle
Admin

Unread post by pickle » November 18th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Looks like fun. Sam mentioned that it was a hard trip. DVD should be a doozi!
Dave
2001 Challenger with bits and peices of goodness.
And of course 'Pajeropoint' for the Mitsu fans.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/306179409472332/

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 19th, 2014, 8:38 pm

Well, after a day or so off.. aka repairing the cars we headed out to start the next DVD, this one was to take in some of the West Coast, mainly the Pieman River area.

This part of the trip was supposed to be more "scenic" than challenging, but as normal, we managed to make it hard enough to look exciting!

Once again I didnt get many pics of the exciting bits due to being too busy!

The Claws, doing better than I expected...

After spending 4 days in my knees up to mud, I wasnt all that excited to find more!

Conical Rocks, a very cool part of the coast.

First day in was pretty uneventful, but due to the campsite being full we made friends with one of the shack owners who kindly let us use his grass to camp on for the evening... was a damn fine spot too!

The next morning I had a short trip for us to do, involved a couple of hill climbs from the beach to ontop of a hill/mountain to an awesome look out... it was supposed to take a couple of hours..... I was wrong..

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 19th, 2014, 8:39 pm

there is also a rocky hill climb next to this one, which the rest of us went up, I had a big pucker moment in Sid, which involved us involuntarily roaring back down the hill backwards due to the lockers turning off right on the apex! Unfortunatly I have no pics of this.. you will have to watch the DVD to see it!

Top of the mountain

Some people just cant handle not having their snap chat for a couple of days...

This hole caught me out..... But Rocket to the rescue!

After spending a couple of days in at the heads we headed out to Montezuma Falls for a bit of a play on the ring river track... once again I have very few photos! :? sorry guys!

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 19th, 2014, 8:40 pm

We found a yowi at the falls........

Danger Dog!

Henty Dunes

Well that pretty well wrapped up DVD 2... the photos dont even come close to showing what atually happened due to me being a slacker........

I had organised to stay in tassie another week so I could catch up with my family and mates, so after dropping the guys at the motel I headed south.

Now it was at this point I was congratulating myself on how well Sid had been going, besides the thermostat (which has probably always been stuffed) and wouldnt you know it an hour down the road a wheel bearing completely collapses! I suspect I smashed it when throwing it into a big rut on a hill climb on the ring river track...

Luckily there was a servo with some light so we could fix it, within an hour we were back on the road again.

I had plans of doing more wheeling over the next week with some mates, but I know its hard to believe... I was over it and parked Sid up and did a service before we headed the 5k north again.

So basically I spent the next week, hooning round in my skyline, eating food and drinking beer..

crankycruiser
Need to get out more

Unread post by crankycruiser » November 19th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Using the Jakes hoist at Weld Logic to put my sway bar back in the rear after we tore it out on the Waratah track (indecently I tore crankys out 7 years ago on the track!)

Jake and Elliots toy, dual cab GQ on 40" sticky treps running a LS.

After a week on the Island it was time to head north again.. sad times but had to be done.... at this point Sid had decided that he was now on a roll with his trouble and threw another problem in my face... the steering was smooth for around 1/3 of a turn and would then jam up...

Suspecting a buggered steering box I put up with it and bought a second hand one on the way to the boat and fitted it at the boat terminal... But as luck would have it the new box had the same problem! DAMNIT. So i put up with it and headed north, on the way I stopped at Rods to pick up a recliner that had to go to sydney..... so on the roof it went!

Had an uneventful trip to sydney but the steering was really giving me the shits. So I dug deeper whilst at the 4wdAction HQ and found that the uni joint that comes out of the steering box was seized! (found this out after I put yet another box in!)

With that I headed north.

Now whilst I was on the Spirit a mate informed me that the last Mud Bulls and Music was on that coming weekend! With the GPS set for LCMP I headed that way.... this was going to put me home a few days late... but whats another 3 days on 5 weeks!!! lucky I have an understanding boss.... :D

Return to “Epic Adventures/Multi-State”