Muddie Wilsons OZ Lap 2014 (half lap make that)

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Muddie Wilsons OZ Lap 2014 (half lap make that)

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 5th, 2014, 7:34 am

Rather than learn how to use Facebook, I thought this would be the easiest and more useful way to record our 6 month adventure around Oz. This way we keep record ourselves, and other can also tune in to see where we are at, and where to/not to go.

A brief run down is that our family has 6 months off and we have taken off for a lap starting from Brisbane (later March) and heading south to the high country to beat winter, then after that we will make it up to suit the weather.

The family consists for the Missus, Nikayla 7yo and Kade 5yo, all doing school direct with their respective classes through internet connection every so often. Niki is year 2 with only sight words, spelling and basic maths, while Kade in only Prep with sight words the main focus. The kids both have tablets that they are using to keep diary notes, seems to word quite well so far.

Our set up is the recently converted 105 rock crawling cruiser into a type of hybrid tourer. This might be the last horra for the old girl given the 300k on the clock, before she gets cut back and stripped back to birth.ish weight. We are pulling a fairly new Golf Challenger expandable camper (2tonne ish).

First stop to blow some of the cob webs out was to meet friends near Casuarina/Potsville Northern NSW, and we stayed in the first Big 4 caravan site, damn this is some flash camping that I could get used to. Not really camping but hey, it was a test round so don't judge my softness :lol:

From here we travelled down to Scott's Head for a few days and stayed in the beach side camp site, again luxury camping with the cost of powered to non-powered sites only being 10%. The beaches here were well protected and the kids/me had a ball in the surf. With what appeared to be good surfing waves around the heads, this seems an ideal spot that we will definitely return to one day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Muddie Wilsons on July 13th, 2014, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Re: Muddie Wilsons OZ Lap 2014

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 5th, 2014, 7:46 am

Currently we are sitting in Gloucester waiting for the rain to stop so that we can head up to Barrington Tops. I have been through all the Action mags of recent and pulled up all the hot spots and mapped them in my Hema, so the next stop will be a few days in Barrington doing some bush walking and stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 8th, 2014, 7:44 pm

Don't you just hate it when you type a whole heap and then the page times out and you loose the lot :mad:

Now the short version with photos to go in the next posting;

Went to the Barrington Tops and had a few good days walking and driving around.

Weather went bad and we got rained out and forced us down the back of the hill towards Scone. Rolling green hills, blue skies. Road heaps better from this side of the Barrington Tops.

Leaches to be look out for in the damn foggy conditions.

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 8th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Here are the photos that were timed out in my last attempt

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 8th, 2014, 7:51 pm

More shots from the adventure

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 8th, 2014, 8:15 pm

Here is the rig we are travelling around in. If you see us around, don't shy and give us a wave.

Hopefully the old girl will last long enough to get us around and back home.

nino
Been here a while

Unread post by nino » April 12th, 2014, 4:45 pm

Lucky you, Im jealous!!!

Have fun... When doing the Vic high country, I suggest you base camp, and not tow the camper around, it can get quite tight.

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 15th, 2014, 8:12 am

Cheers Nino, that was the plan.

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 15th, 2014, 8:34 am

Well thanks to the weather we got stuck in Sydney for a few days, and what with Sydney shops just down the road and the Missus hanging out to shop, the old card got a smashing and the kids are now fully equipped to do some serious hiking.

Once the rain lifted we headed off towards Young, but didn't quite make it! Took a left turn and ended up spending a few days at Wombeyan Caves Camping ground. We took the twisty one lane dirty road in from Mittagon and man that was one great fun drive. 2T pushing us down in low range most of the way. Then the magic little camp site at the bottom was worth the haul in.

With the perfect timing of the recent rain, the creek was flowing through the camp area and the caves were wet. The Guide was all excited about the water because it helps the crystals grow and develop.

After a few magic days here we then took the simple road out the back and down into Canberra.

The old Cruiser is sucking WAY too much fuel and might need to park it up somewhere and get a different vehicle for the rest of the trip. Need to do some numbers and work out what to do. It will be a huge shame not to be able to take the old girl around with us.

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 20th, 2014, 8:58 am

Well we landed in Canberra to catch up with our ever loving and giving Kid’s adopted Aunty Jen and Uncle Tom, and didn’t they come to party here with the weather. Yes the nights and morning were cold, but the days were to just die for.
The kids have been spoilt from the moment they walked in the door with gift bags sitting on their beds, didn’t happen like that when I was a kid.
After doing some local sightseeing, with walks and rides on great blue sky days, we then headed to the top of Australia for a day trip. Again Jen and Tom must have been earlier to set up the weather as the day was fantastic – all relative that is!!
Oxymoron temp -1, clear and fine.
-1 can’t possibly be fine!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, once us Queenslanders were rugged up we started the 13km round trip hike to the top of Australia 2,227m above sea level. I can’t believe the kids made it with very little whinging. If only Kade had eaten his dinner the night before, it would have made a world of difference to his attitude at the start. Nothing half a box of Chicken Crimpys didn’t fix.
I will definitely be back one day with my mountain bike to do these runs down. The tracks looked second to none as I got jealous watching them ride down under the chair lift. You could easily spend the whole day, or a week, rolling down these tracks, jumping back on the lift, and rolling down again.
Looked like there was plenty of chicken runs or pull over spots that Kade and I could have spent the whole day playing with (Kades 5yo mind you, so looked good for all ages).
I only saw the one bike there that looked like it was under $2k. When did BMX riding turn into such an elitist sport. Bring back the days of Hardtails and Redlines with the old plugger in the front forks as brakes. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 20th, 2014, 9:02 am

Adding further photos.
PS Good old Aunty Jen was also a 2000 Olympic Torch Bearer, how good would I have looked running this around :lol:

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 20th, 2014, 9:09 am

On advice from Jen and Tom in Canberra, we will be setting up base in Bright, then spend a week or so doing day trips to both East and West ranges. Will try to tick off most of the hot spots that have been mentioned in the Action Mags. I have several marked (Long & Lat) in the Hema, so should be able to find them.
One spot we went looking for in Barrington, we would have circled the spot 360deg on the Hemp, but never found it. Obviously things change in these areas over time, with tracks and sites being taken back quickly by nature.

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 20th, 2014, 9:16 am

Its SOOOOOO un-cool to sit on Dad's knee :o

See what happens with half a box of Crimpys and thin air at the top of Australia, he does smile :lol:

Foo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Foo » April 20th, 2014, 9:46 am

Looks like a great trip you are having, good onya. :cool:

Foo

Muddie Wilsons
Been here a while

Unread post by Muddie Wilsons » April 23rd, 2014, 8:42 am

Not really knowing where to go and trying not to break the car too much and get stranded in Whoop Whoop with no car and a caravan, I headed down the Dargo High Plain Road and then into a look out on Blue Rag Range Track, that is the photos below with the car and tracks heading across the ridges.
Nothing difficult to drive, but would be damn slow with the van behind. Some the switch backs would be near the point you would need to detach to get around. Glad I went the setting up a base near Bright then heading out for day trips.
Magic roads and scenery, with the range recently burnt out and the strange regrowth. Not sure what is happening here with the apparent dead trees across numerous ranges.
After the lookout we then headed back and down the Basalt Track which was another magic drive. This took us onto Ritchies Track, then I tried to get onto Little Dargo Track but it was well over grown with countless trees across the track. Guess what? Forgot the chainsaw didn’t I!

Return to “Epic Adventures/Multi-State”