Red Dirt Roaming- our trip of a lifetime!

gobbolux
Here and there

Red Dirt Roaming- our trip of a lifetime!

Unread post by gobbolux » March 3rd, 2014, 7:00 am

Hi all,

While this isn't strictly a trip report yet, over the next few months it will be. This week my wife and I leave for a 14 month adventure of a lifetime.

We are planning on spending as much time as we can in the western half of the country ( we come from Rockhampton and have seen a lot of what the eastern side of Australia has to offer) visiting the most iconic and more remote parts of our amazing country. We are traveling in our 76 series Landcruiser and Trackabout camper.

We are pretty experienced campers and 4wders having spent time up the cape, done a Simpson Desert crossing and seen most of Tasmania the fun way! We wanted to record the adventure, and also found that when we started to research our journey that there wasn't at as much information as we would have thought on planning, equipping for, and getting started on an off-road orientated adventure like this one. So we have started a blog which we will use to share our thoughts and experiences with you all.

So far we have done a write up on our cruiser, started introducing the camper and the mods we've made and also included some recipes, homemade gear, and shakedown trips we have done in the last 12 months. We plan to update the blog regularly on the way and include as much information as possible.

The link is http://www.reddirtroaming.blogspot.com.au

We hope you will have a look at share our adventure with us!

Cheers

Mat and Jess

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Red Dirt Roaming- our trip of a lifetime!

Unread post by Peter Aawen » March 3rd, 2014, 3:39 pm

Sounds like it's going to be a fantastic trip! The build up looks good, and the blog seems to be a good way of keeping everyone up to date with your trip, but we might need to have the occasional reminder in here with a short update to get people looking at your blog again! ;)

Looking forwards to seeing more of your travels as they unfold. :)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

gobbolux
Here and there

Unread post by gobbolux » March 4th, 2014, 6:17 am

Thanks Peter,

That is a good idea. The Blog started as just a way to record the journey for ourselves, but when we showed a few people what we were doing, we got a lot of feedback about the technical stuff and the recipes etc. so we thought It would be good to focus a bit more on this side of things and share our experiences.

We're spending the day with my mum and dad today, the back of the car needs a bit of reorganising, first time packs never quite work out!

Cheers

gobbolux
Here and there

Unread post by gobbolux » April 17th, 2014, 12:49 pm

Hi All,

We just wanted to give this post a bit of a bump, we have been on the road for around 6 weeks now and have been adding a fair bit more content to the blog.

We are currently camped at Stokes NP about 75km west of Esperance. We have spent the last 2 weeks at Cape Le Grand and Cape Arid NP's. These are two a sizing parts of the country. Check out the blog posts!

http://www.reddirtroaming.blogspot.com.au

Cheers mat and Jess!

76 Cruiser
Getting to know the place

Unread post by 76 Cruiser » April 22nd, 2014, 12:26 pm

Hi Mat and Jess,
The blog is awesome and I look forward to every post. The information about your set up is great and has answered some questions I've been agonising over. Mine is an 09/2013 GXL, I was wondering what you keep on the roof rack? From the pics I can see spare tyre, a plastic box and shovel. Where did you end up putting your fishing rods? How would you rate Ruby's performance so far?
Cheers Wayne.

gobbolux
Here and there

Unread post by gobbolux » April 23rd, 2014, 8:12 pm

G'day Wayne

We use the roof rack for light stuff and things that we don't need regularly. We keep our second spare up there, the box has a small chainsaw and all the fuel, oils and spares that go with it. The same box also has our 12v air compressor, a small tarp for working under the car on and our grease gun.

We keep a swag on the roof for places where we won't tow the camper but will be away overnight, and we also keep a diesel jerry can that we have not needed to use so far, and would put in a holder on the campers in the event of needing to use it.

For fishing rod storage I bought one of the $20 BCF travel tubes for fishing rods and simply zip tied it to the rack with a hand full of heavy duty zip ties, this same holder have now done well over 30000km on the side of the rack and is still in good condition, this includes many miles of overgrown tracks and rough going.

Ruby has done very well so far, we just had her serviced in Kalgoorlie and there were no issues found (and nothing that I was worried about when we booked it)

The car has held up well to the constant use in the bush, and has proven to be brilliant for off-road towing. We have been into several places with the trailer on now where others have had issues(particularly Cape Arid) and had no dramas at all when we have drooped the tyres to the right pressure and not been lazy...(see the stokes inlet post!!!)

My only disappointment so far had been the rear springs, they settle 30-40mm further than I would like under the full load of the car and camper, they are an old man emu 400kg constant load kit and have been upgraded with an extra leaf, but still appear to be not quite heavy enough. That said; we have purposely avoided any kind of load helper such as airbags as I was concerned about point loading the chassis in a spot that was no designed to take the weight. The settling isn't really affecting the performance of the car so far, we have done over 2000km of dirt so far, much of it with the trailer on, it is just annoying me when when I look at it as much as anything!!

After the first 10,000km of the trip I wouldn't swap Ruby for any factory 4wd available

I will pull my finger out and do a blog post covering the car and camper performance.

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » May 13th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Matt & Jess,

It is a great blog and I am getting it in Email form. A pity that these forums are so light on when it comes to trip reports and the like..

Les - PK Ranger
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Les - PK Ranger » May 14th, 2014, 5:07 pm

Matt & Jess, cool blog.

Coincidentally, I'm just researching Karijini NP as part of a plan to incorporate a tour over there one day, AND complete another mission of climbing the highest peaks in each state.
Only Mt Meharry and Mt Bartle Frere to go !
While over there, I'd also climb Mt Bruce (it's actually in Karijini), WA's second highest peak.

Going to take a look through your archives a bit and keep an eye on your travels.

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » May 14th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Super jealous. Love the photos!

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

gobbolux
Here and there

Unread post by gobbolux » May 15th, 2014, 3:12 pm

G'day Les, glad our blog is proving useful to a few, there is a photo of Mt Bruce in one of the Karajini posts, from memory the walk in from the carpark is around 9km.

Were currently camped at 80 mile beach, only got here today, most of the last week has been at Pardoo Station, where we have enjoyed a bit of luxury camping ( first facilities in a couple of weeks) and cleaned up on fish and crabs ( heaps of threadfin and blue salmon around)

Only a couple of weeks and we will be into the Kimberly, so might as well make he most of the easy gong for a couple ofdays, before the fun really starts!

Cheers

Mat

gobbolux
Here and there

Unread post by gobbolux » July 2nd, 2014, 7:57 am

Hi All,

Just wanted to give this thread a bit of a bump. We have just finished an epic 5 week trip down the Gibb River Rd and up to Kalumburu and the Mitchell Falls. All I can say is what an amazing experience! This is the first time we have had reliable internet for a fair while, so we have been busy getting all the pics up on the blog.

Hope you enjoy the read

Cheers

Mat and Jess

Aaron Schubert
Need to get out more

Unread post by Aaron Schubert » July 2nd, 2014, 6:03 pm

Super jealous! Great work guys

Aaron
Looking for somewhere to go 4WDing in WA? Check out WA 4WD Tracks

My 80 Series Landcruiser

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » July 9th, 2014, 9:52 pm

Yeppers.. Definitely an adventure...

BarKer
Been here a while

Unread post by BarKer » September 11th, 2014, 6:01 pm

The 'big trip' costing blog was pretty informative... Not often you see that..

gobbolux
Here and there

Unread post by gobbolux » October 24th, 2014, 8:42 am

G'day all again,

Just a quick bump and update on this thread. We currency camped at Sandy Point about 350km North of Perth. Over the last month or so,we,have worked our way down the Pilbera and Ningaloo coasts. What a special place, amazing veiws, easily the best last based snorkelling access anywhere in Australia and awesome fishing.

We have enjoyed coming further south too with a real highlight being Murchisan House Station near Kalbarri. If you haven't been there do yourself a favour and get there, the blog post will be up in the next few days.

Next were heading into South west WA, should be Awesome

Mat and Jess

Return to “Epic Adventures/Multi-State”