Re: Just going for a drive...to Alaska. Then S America

Unread post by BigDutchy » November 11th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Awesome. Great trip, great read.
Thanks

Qldelsie
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Qldelsie » November 19th, 2015, 4:04 am

Thanks for the advise, Peter. I have been rotating the tyres, but not frequently enough I think. Once the blocks are uneven, and I move the front tyres to the rear, I am loathe to put them back on the front again. But maybe if I rotate them more frequently, before they get too uneven, it would work out better. Too late on this set of tyres, but will do on my next set.

Currently trying to get back to the USA before I have to buy more tyres. The last set of BFG All Terrain tyres I got in the USA for US$140 per tyre, which at that time with the exchange rate at about 1 -1, means Aus$ 140 per tyre !! Now they will be a bit more, but still WAY cheaper than in Aus, so I will buy 6 new tyres before I ship the car back to Aus !

Giles

Qldelsie

Unread post by Qldelsie » April 12th, 2016, 6:32 am

Well, now April, and still going, although a few changes to my plans.\
Went to Spain then down to Morocco in Jan / Feb, and I have to say Morocco is one of the most amazing places. So close to Europe, yet it is a mixture of 1970's Dubai, Africa, and biblical times Middle East. Atlas mountains, Sahara desert, and fascinating coastlines. Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and wish we could have stayed longer - But time to move on now that Spring is coming.
The costs of shipping Troopie to Iceland just became too much for me, mainly because I am heading to Newfoundland and then across Canada back to Alaska, and being way north I have a relatively short weather window. If I spent a month in Iceland (which I wanted to do) I would not get to Newfoundland until June which is just getting too late, especially by the time I get to Alaska. So I have booked the car direct from Antwerp to Halifax Nova Scotia, arrving NS on 3rd May. But during the 10 days the car is on the water, I am now flying to Iceland and going to spend a week there in a little rental camper, and then fly on from Reykjavik to Halifax to meet Troopie. I am REALLY excited about Iceland because I just hear SO many great stories about it. Fingers crossed for clear weather and maybe, just maybe, some Aurora Borealis sights, which I have now been chasing for a while !
Then on to NS and Newfoundland which looks equally interesting, down to Niagara, Indianapolis for a look at the Brickyard, then some route across to the Rockies and Canada, and then on to Alaska again. From there plan to ship the car back from Seattle to Aus in about September - And have just found out that I now have to apply for an import permit to bring my car back into Aus !! Never had to do that last time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Qldelsie

Unread post by Qldelsie » August 21st, 2016, 4:28 pm

Well, after almost 2 1/2 years on the road, I just made it back to Queensland this week, and am now enjoying doing absolutely NOTHING for 4 weeks until Troopie arrives back from Seattle near the end of September.
After Morocco, I headed back up through Europe to England, and in April shipped Troopie from Antwerp to Halifax Nova Scotia. (It is easier to ship to Canada than to the USA as you have no import restrictions or permits required.) While the car was on the water, I flew to Iceland and had a week there in a small rented camper. (Taking my own car for anything less than a month was just not financially feasible.) Loved Iceland, lots of snow and ice and incredible scenery. Amazing Icelandic monster 4 WD's everywhere too ! Picked car up in Nova Scotia and Nova Scotia and particularly Newfoundland were AMAZING. Icebergs, wildlife, scenery, camp anywhere, and NO PEOPLE ! It has everything British Columbia has in terms of scenery, but hardly anyone ever goes there - Just the locals ! Then across Canada down to Quebec before dropping down into the US, down through the Allegheny mountains to Niagara, which is well worth the visit. After that it was down to Indianapolis for a day at the museum / track, and then zig zagging across Canada and the USA through Badlands Nat Park, Bear Tooth Pass, Yellowstone, Glacier Nat Park and eventually to Banff and Jasper where I had the first mechanical issue of the entire trip !
My engine light came on, and thanks to my Scan Guage II was able to determine that it was my EGR valve that after 400,000 kms and quite a lot of cheap fuel in Central and South America finally quit. After having it looked at and cleaned a little, because the car was still running (although slowly on hills without a Turbo), I decided not to try fixing it there due to having to import parts, so I made my way slowly west to Seattle where my sister lives, and made arrangents to ship the car home from there.
So now I have to wait for the car to arrive - She needs a bit of TLC after basically needing NOTHING but oil, grease and brake pads for more than 2 years of driving every day ! Who says the V8 diesel engine is unreliable ???? Even when it has problems she will get you home !
Looking for another adventure - But in Australia this time. Kimberleys and Gun Barrel are beckoning, maybe !! But a rest for a while first !!
A few final pics for you to enjoy ! And if any one wants to know more, or any club wants some pics and chat about the trip highlights at a monthly meet, I would be more than happy to oblige. Just contact me.
Giles
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Qldelsie on August 24th, 2016, 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qldelsie

Unread post by Qldelsie » August 21st, 2016, 4:29 pm

A few more for fun.....
Last edited by Qldelsie on August 24th, 2016, 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Qldelsie

Unread post by Qldelsie » August 21st, 2016, 4:39 pm

P6250126 (1).jpg
P6290027 (1).jpg
P5290107.jpg

Return to “Epic Adventures/Multi-State”