2013 Birdsville races, 4 weeks & 4 states!

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Re: 2013 Birdsville races, 4 weeks & 4 states!

Unread post by TLC60S » October 21st, 2013, 10:57 pm

On the southern end of Lake Harry was a hill with tracks going straight up the side of it so I said to Peta how about we go up there & have a look around, well she didn't say yes but she also didn't say no . The bottom half of the track was OK then it got a lot steeper & rocky as the cruiser crawled its way to the top throwing rocks out everywhere bouncing through some ruts on the way. Maybe I should have disconnected the camper. At the top was very windy but the views were worth it showing there was still some water left in the lake .
IMG_7132.JPG
IMG_7135.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 21st, 2013, 11:58 pm

After driving back down the hill we drove a few Ks down the road & explored around the Lake Harry ruins
P9120153.JPG
P9120148.JPG
We then drove to Marree were we booked into the caravan park . It was very windy so the park caretaker put us between the cabins then we did the washing which was why we had to pull into a caravan park. After the washing we walked around the town checking the sites. Marree which used to be called Hergott Springs is where the old Ghan Railway terminated before the line was continued on to Alice Springs . Cattle was driven down the Birsdville Track to the railhead then loaded on the trains heading to the markets in Adelaide. Some diesel engines are still at the railway station left as a reminded of days gone by.
For tea that night was fish & chips served with salad at the local pub while catching up with the news on TV . On our way back to the park we stopped at the phone box to phone home as there is no Next G network out here. After letting everyone know where we are , we were told Peta's car did not get burnt after back at home large fires roared through the area . The fires missed home but burnt through bush on both ends of our street . They had been evacuated for a night & they had to leave all the animals behind when it hit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 22nd, 2013, 12:53 am

P1020375.JPG
Next day we top up our water & fuel at the roadhouse & stocked up on supplies before turning up the Oodnadatta Track. The Oodnadatta Track follows the old Ghan Railway Line with plenty of old relics of the past to see & explore.
IMG_7150.JPG
The Oodnadatta Pink Roadhouse has put up signs on its entire length so you don't miss anything of interest. When we pulled up to photograph an old railway bridge there was a fence that crossed the road that just looked like any other out here until we read on one of the pink & white signs , we were crossing through the Dog Fence.
P1020379.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 22nd, 2013, 10:04 am

Our next stop was at Alberrie Creek to walk around admiring the sculptures , which they had been made from old junk with some painted up by the artist.
P9130162.JPG
This is what you can do with a bit of imagination , a welder & all your old 4wd parts. This one was my favourite.
P9130175.JPG
This one was made from an old windmill & was Peta's favourite.
P9130171.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 22nd, 2013, 11:01 am

Next stop was to see Lake Eyre South . We started driving down tracks to get a closer look but the views weren't any better & the tracks got worse so we decided to get back on the Oodnadatta Track & see it from the lookout.
IMG_7163.JPG
Next off was Curdimurka Siding where I took the table out from my camper & placed it in the last room of the siding where it's nice & cool so we could get away from the flies while having lunch . The flies are so bad this time of year you need to wear a fly net every time you get out of the car.
P1020395.JPG
After lunch we walked around checking all the old railway relics.
IMG_7169.JPG
IMG_7167.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 22nd, 2013, 11:15 pm

After exploring Curdimurka we continued onto the Mound Springs in the Wabma Kadarbu Conservation Park .
P9130182.JPG
A short drive off the Oodnadatta Track brings you to the Mound Springs car park with a very short walk along a boardwalk to The Bubbler.
P9130198.JPG
Another short drive & your at the car park to The Blanche Cup with a short Boardwalk to a viewing platform . The Blanche Cup was the most interesting of the two with the changing patterns every time the water bubbled to the surface. It also had the higher flow rate of the two.
P9130185.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 23rd, 2013, 12:02 am

Just up the road was our next camp spot for the night at Coward Springs. For a small fee there is composting toilets & showers that have been interestingly built using railway sleepers from the old Ghan Line. Most of the camp sites are well shaded & some have BBQs & tables.
P1020415.JPG
After setting up camp we walked down to check out the spa . It is not very big & already had a few people enjoying the water so I walked down & checked the wetland for any birds while Peta went over to Visitors Centre. When we came back to the spa the other people had left so we had our turn of soaking up the minerals of the artesian water.
P9130200.JPG
P1020409.JPG
The water is constantly flowing into the spa with enough pressure to massage your back . The temperature is warm but not hot enough to make it uncomfortable if you stay in too long. . After our swim we had a BBQ for tea ending another day in the outback.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 23rd, 2013, 11:09 am

In the morning after breakfast of bacon ,eggs & hash browns on the BBQ we strolled around exploring more of Coward Springs before packing up & moving on . Before we left I was talking to a guy about the Mound Springs cause we were both travelling in the same direction . He asked where they were as he hadn't seen the turn off & signs for them . I gave him directions as they weren't that far back down the road & told him if you see one of the pink & white signs that the Pink Roadhouse has put up stop & read them as it is a place of interest. Our Hema Navigator helps us out as it also has all the places of interest on it.
Back on the track there are is plenty to see of the old Ghan Line with plenty of relics & at a lot of the site have information boards telling stories of life & hardship of working & living on the railway. One of a husband who came home to find his pregnant wife laying in bed very ill then a snake crawled out from the bed , But instead of trying to transport her back to help he called for the train which only took 2 hours instead of the usual 4 hours. After all there hard work the lady still did not make it. The scenery it always changing & there is always something to stop & look at .
P9140213.JPG
We arrived at William Creek & first went over to the visitors information centre to find out about the flights over Lake Eyre . They were a bit too dear for Peta & myself as we didn't want to see our self short if an emergency arose . At the time the pilot told us the Painted Desert was the most popular flight. We then walked around the open air museum before heading to the William Creek Hotel for a cold drink & a ice cream.
P9140216.JPG
P9140217.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 23rd, 2013, 11:10 pm

Duff Creek Siding was our next stop on the track . There was not much left here except the old sign to let you know you have arrived at Duff Creek . The sign has been here awhile as the distances are in miles not kilometres .
P9140218.JPG
Lunch that day was at Edwards Creek under the shade from trees in the dry creek bed in the shadows of an old disused windmill. This must be the friendliest place in South Australia, there must have been every local from a mile away came to greet us & join in having lunch with us . These darn flies are driving us crazy.
P9140220.JPG
After saying goodbye to our new friends & chasing them out of the car as we drove off we headed to Algebuckina Bridge where we decided to camp for the night . We pulled up on the southern end of the bridge where a crumbled car wreck lies after the owner tried to cross using the bridge when the river was in flood only to meet an oncoming train. On this end of the bridge is a information sign where you can safely walk a short distance on the bridge to take a view of what it would have been like looking from the Ghan.
P1020421.JPG
P9140228.JPG
Last edited by TLC60S on October 24th, 2013, 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 24th, 2013, 12:12 am

The Algebuckina Bridge is South Australia's longest bridge spanning the Neales River. Our camping spot we picked was on the northern side just over the concrete causeway on the right amongst the trees beside a waterhole .
P9150236.JPG
After setting up it was so hot we went looking for a nice spot on the river to take a dip . The water was clear & looked very inviting but as soon as you walked in the bottom stirred up bringing all the mud to the top so we gave it a miss opting for a shower instead to cool off.
P9150238.JPG
That night we lit a campfire just so we could sit outside & enjoy the night . While sitting by the fire I heard the call of the Tawny Frogmouth, so I went for a look only to here a radio playing in the distance. I walked in the direction of the noise about 100 metres but the radio didn't get any louder so I walked about another 100 metres & still it seemed I wasn't getting any closer so I walked on until coming across a fence & standing there the radio was as loud as when I was near our camp. In the end I put it down to the noise travelling in the night & just walked back to camp telling Peta we must have other campers nearby . We both sat around the fire not wanting a big meal & thought what were we going to have for tea as we both didn't want anything fussy so we had jaffles on the fire . After tea we roasted marshmallows on the fire.
P9140233.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 24th, 2013, 1:33 am

Next day we packed up & drove to Oodnadatta.
P1020423.JPG
At the Pink Roadhouse in Oodnadatta we fuelled up our diesel but since camping at Clayton Wetlands on the Birdsville Track where we ran out of our first bottle of gas we had been trying to get the bottle filled as the maps say gas is available in Marree, William Creek & Oodnadatta , but all these towns only offer exchange bottles . The Pink Roadhouse was our dearest fuel we paid on this trip at $2:26 lt , but we didn't mind cause of all the work & effort they did putting all the signs up to make driving the Oodnadatta Track interesting so I say thankyou to the Pink Roadhouse from Peta & myself.
We pull up under a shady tree to check over the car & trailer where I noticed the trailer wheel bearing could do with a tighten before leaving Oodnadatta.
P9150243.JPG
We then headed out of town turning towards Hamilton Station where the track got a bit corrugated but not too bad . It's also dusty but I could still see the camper in the mirror.
P9150244.JPG
P9150245.JPG
After reaching Hamilton Station & checking out there new camp area we then turned towards Perdirka Ruins where for a late lunch we had cheese & biscuits sitting in the air conditioner of the cruiser so the flies didn't drive us mad.
P9150249.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 24th, 2013, 9:37 am

There were two other travellers at the Pedirka ruins who were from Northern Territory , They just came down from Old Andado & one of them had a hole in his radiator. If they couldn't repair the leak they going to fill the radiator with pepper to stop the leak. They were OK so we moved on to see the Dalhousie Ruins . The track after leaving Pedirka became very corrugated in some parts keeping our speed down but the changing scenery made the drive interesting . It was here we found someone's number plate that the corrugations had claimed.
We entered the Witjira National Park where the roads came even worse .
P1020425.JPG
Arriving at Dalhousie Ruins in the late afternoon which made for some good photos in the afternoon light that Peta & myself liked so we both walked around taking plenty of photos here.
IMG_7212.JPG
IMG_7185.JPG
P1020433.JPG

Dalhousie was where they started a Date Plantation but unlike at the Lake Harry ruins & Coward Springs which was also where they tried to grow the dates but became failures , here it was so successful they are now a pest & the park rangers have removed the female specie of the plant.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 25th, 2013, 10:15 am

IMG_7203.JPG
IMG_7189.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 25th, 2013, 11:38 am

Now of you have never been to the outback cause you think it is flat & featureless between Dalhousie Ruins & Dalhousie Springs there is a excellent lookout that we came across on just before sunset . The water that flows from the mound springs have created a colourful landscape that you can see from this lookout . We stayed here taking plenty of photos knowing we were going to get into camp on dark but it's like heaven on earth standing on the edge looking out at the colours mother nature has painted with the sun setting behind you & the only sound from the odd bird flying pass in the cool breeze.
IMG_7236.JPG
IMG_7241.JPG
IMG_7243.JPG
IMG_7232.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 25th, 2013, 10:09 pm

More photos from the lookout . I hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
IMG_7235.JPG
IMG_7224.JPG
IMG_7222.JPG
IMG_7217.JPG

Return to “Epic Adventures/Multi-State”