2013 Birdsville races, 4 weeks & 4 states!

Foo
Need to get out more

Re: 2013 Birdsville races, 4 weeks & 4 states!

Unread post by Foo » October 18th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Good stuff mate! :cool:

Foo

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 19th, 2013, 9:47 am

Thank Foo I been having problems with posting the photos crashing the web page which is slowing me down . I can spend an hour or more drafting a page up then go & add a file of a photo then lose the lot, & I still have another 3 weeks of travelling in this trip report to go.

Foo
Need to get out more

Unread post by Foo » October 19th, 2013, 9:58 am

This site has been a pain in the arse for sometime with loading up speeds. :mad:

Foo

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 19th, 2013, 10:21 am

After watching other 4wdrivers tackle Big Red we then drove down the other side to have lunch under a tree & watch the bird life on the lake that's at the base of Big Red & seen a dingo come for a drink.
IMG_6919.JPG
IMG_6914.JPG
IMG_6922.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » October 19th, 2013, 10:26 am

Just a thought TLC, have you tried doing your drafting elsewhere, say in word or notepad or something like that, before using the Post Reply option to cut & paste your pre-prepared draft in and upload the images? I certainly don't think it is doing anything to solve the problem you are having, but at least it should mean that you don't lose all the text etc or waste the time it takes to prepare it. It's just a possible alternative for making the most of what we have, rather than holding off while waiting for it to get fixed...... :(

Besides, I want to see/read about the rest of the trip! ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 19th, 2013, 10:44 am

Adding photos first before the draft cause it's only the add file not the place inline
Last edited by TLC60S on October 19th, 2013, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 19th, 2013, 11:56 am

That afternoon we went back into town checking out the entertainment which the pub had going all day & into late at night . We then walked over & watched Fred Brophy pick his boxing matches & decided to go to the last session . Where both not into boxing but we enjoyed it experiencing the last travel boxing tent left .
Then back to camp to end our first week of our big adventure.
Next day was Birdsville Cup day & the day of voting which Peta did a postal vote & did a walk in vote before leaving home. We decide to drive out to the races & got there in time to see the running of the second race. Then was the Akubra Fashions On The Field with the Best Dressed Lady which was worth driving 2000 Kms plus to see , they also had Best Dressed Gentleman, Hat Of The Marquee & the crowd favourite Best Novelty Group which was commentated by the Crack Up Sisters
P1020285.JPG
After watching another race I said to Peta lets go & have a look at the horses which has come from everywhere some even further than we had driven so we can pick a winner. Now if only I knew then what I know now , that's I know nothing about race horses & form guides . I hope my money went to a good cause.
P9070031.JPG
P9070035.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TLC60S on October 19th, 2013, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 19th, 2013, 12:36 pm

P1020283.JPG
It was time to put some bets on , we didn't know what we were doing as we aren't punters but it was fun trying to pick the winners . After studying the programme we decided that horses has a good name lets pick that one . Then we went to watch it run , not bad but forth didn't pay . So next we grabbed the programme again to see if we could pick a winner in the Birdsville Cup but this time before making a decision we went to the bookies to see what everyone else was betting on . The horse I liked some people were putting big money on so I stuck with it. We then watched the cup race cheering on the horses we bet on but only to lose our money again . Oh well that's racing.
P1020295.JPG
After watching the last race which I put another bet on but this time winning enough only to pay off that bet we headed back to the car to drive back to camp. On the way we thought it was a good idea we drove after seeing the line up to catch the bus.
P9070046.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 19th, 2013, 1:27 pm

That night we had one of our best & simplest meals on the trip , the Aldi frozen lamb shanks with red wine sauce heated with potatoes , peas & corn .
The next day we decided to stay another day in Birdsville & not join the thousands that were leaving instead having a relaxing day looking around & going to the pub to have a cold beer.
We also drove down to the wharf to see the Diamantina River which was full of people enjoying the sun paddling there feet in the water.
P1020275.JPG
Over further on the bank a man thought it was a good way of washing his clothes while staying cool at the same time.
P1020276.JPG
That afternoon we did some packing up then went over to the reserve & watched the sun set on another great outback day.
P1020324.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 19th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Next day we filled up all our water from a pipe line that ran near the road going into town that was put in for campers . Then to the roadhouse to stock up on some supplies & fuel the tanks up with diesel , for memory around the $1:86 lt which is not bad for where we are. We stopped back in at the visitors information centre to make sure the Inside Track was open & they were telling us what had happened to the phone services cause we had poor reception whilst we were in Birdsville. Some muppet had been using an illegal repeater booster & they had to cut the service down so they still had the capability for emergency services. It's unbelievable how selfish some people can be they would risk an isolated town having no emergency services so they can make phone calls & use the net. They must of left on the Saturday afternoon cause that's when full phone services returned but they never caught them.
Before leaving town we stopped at the Birdsville bakery to get bread for our lunches & try some of their pies & I can tell you their Lamb Shanks Pies I highly recommend.
We headed out of town on the Inside Track which was a fun drive although very dusty . It starts off running along the Diamantina River which was dry here as the town had a weir to keep the water there, then the track starts to run between sand dunes . The winding bends in the sand had the camper pushing the car on the sharp turns that came up quick making a fun drive .
P9090073.JPG
The scenery changed as you turned towards the Goyder Lagoon to rocky plains.
P9090074.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 19th, 2013, 5:02 pm

After lunch at the intersection of the Inside & Outside Tracks where there were flushing toilets & a camp spot all supplied by the station for a gold coin donation we headed south to Mungerannie to camp the night besides the wetlands. On our way we passed a man who had broken his spring under his Cub camper & had just finish wiring up to get himself to Mungerannie. When we arrived we went straight into the roadhouse & ordered our tea for the night then for a small fee we set up camp then I grabbed my camera to check the birdlife around the wetland.
IMG_6960.JPG
P1020336.JPG
Later we watched the sunset on another glorious afternoon in the outback after checking out some of the old relics laying around the roadhouse.
IMG_6983.JPG
After the sunset viewing it was time for tea at the roadhouse which I forgot to say what time When we walked in they called our name we were first up that night & they made a beautiful chicken schnitzel. The man that had broken his spring came over & joined us for tea . He was travelling by himself from Ballina NSW & told us the roadhouse couldn't fix his spring & he had done an excellent job in wiring up to keep it going.

To be continued

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 20th, 2013, 11:45 pm

Next Day after spending the morning doing more bird watching we packed up & moved on to our next destination of Clayton Wetlands .
P1020345.JPG
The Birdsville track has plenty of places of interest like the Mulka Store ruins & if you have watched the movie "Back Of Beyond" the story of the Birdsville Track Mailman , Tom Kruse you will pass homesteads you will remember like Clifton Hills & Dulkaninna . For lunch we stopped at the Cooper Creek crossing , here it spreads out wide & doesn't look like the great outback waterway you see at Innamincka.
We arrived at Clayton Wetlands camping area which has been set up by the Clayton Homestead & for $10 a car for the night is top value . It has flushing toilets, hot showers & a sink for washing but the best thing of all a spa outback style . A poly tank that you fill with water from a tapped bore producing hot artesian water that reaches 50'c . The outlet from this spa has produced a small wetland down the back of the camp ground so I grabbed my camera & went looking for birds . With having no luck there I then went for a look along the dry Clayton Creek where I photographed my 342nd specie of bird the female White-browed Woodswallow
IMG_7049.JPG
That afternoon a tilt tray arrived to take a F250 towing a camper from WA that had done his front wheel bearing . They rang road services using a Sat phone. We have seen a lot of broken vehicles & trailers on this trip.
Before sunset we filled the spa but we missed sitting in it to enjoy the sunset cause it was too hot to stay in the spa.
IMG_7101.JPG
Last edited by TLC60S on October 21st, 2013, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 21st, 2013, 12:03 am

The next morning I drove over to the homestead to ask where was the wetlands cause I remember being here before & you had to drive out to it . They put me on the right track as someone had removed the sign for firewood , at the spa you take the track north that takes you to an artificial wetland created 100 years ago by a bore .
IMG_7087.JPG
IMG_7075.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 21st, 2013, 12:45 am

That afternoon the stations three red cattle dogs came over to the camp area , I think there used to people feeding them ,they went up to everyone trying there luck . Later the two youngest dogs left , the older dog the more friendlier one was still going up to everyone for a pat when the station owner arrived in a ute . He just called to the dog & it just jumped up into the back & sat down up near the head board looking out the back .
That afternoon we were prepared to get the spa ready for our sunset . I filled it early giving it time to cool down while Peta prepared the cheese & biscuits & the bottle of Mascarto wine that we picked up at Birdsville from Riversands Wines of St George QLD who had a stand there. This time we jumped in & enjoyed our outback sunset.
IMG_7121.JPG
IMG_7102.JPG
IMG_7117.JPG
That night I sat in the spa till late watching the shooting stars enjoying the night sky.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 21st, 2013, 11:59 am

Next morning before sun-up we were woken by rain starting to fall on the canvas roof of our camper so we got up to get our swimmers & towels of the line & noticed the other campers were also up packing up but Peta & myself we went back to bed after taking the clothes off. That morning when we finally got up the rain had stopped but was still overcast. While packing up we had a little sprinkle but all the rain was just enough to settle the dust & not become a problem . The best thing about the rain was it brought a cool change for that day.
That day we were heading to Marree only cause it was time to do some washing but there was still things to see along the way . Our next stop was at Lake Harry . This lake was full of water right up to the track & with sunny blue skies last year when I visited here with Lyn & Dave, but this year with Peta the water was along way from the track & with grey clouds hanging over it .
774.JPG
IMG_7125.JPG
IMG_7127.JPG

To Be Continued

Return to “Epic Adventures/Multi-State”