2013 Birdsville races, 4 weeks & 4 states!

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

2013 Birdsville races, 4 weeks & 4 states!

Unread post by TLC60S » October 14th, 2013, 11:14 am

Hi everyone
This trip is going to have lots of photos cause as the saying goes a picture tells a thousand words.
Peta & myself finally did our Birdsville Races trip after being cancelled in 2011 when I had to pull out, then in 2012 three weeks before our departure Peta had to pull out.
2013 was going to be the year. I fixed my camper, a 13 year old Cub that I have had since new which I replaced the back half of the floor, I also had to pull most of the inside out so repaired every little thing that needed attention to better than factory. Staples were replaced with screws & a lot of SikaFlex marine sealant was used to help against vibration on corrugations & to stop getting so much dust inside. The 4wd, a 2000 Toyota turbo diesel Landcruiser, had 4 new tyres fitted & for the first time I was using Coopers instead of the trusted BFGoodrich I normally run. The only reason for changing was the bit more aggressive tread than the all terrain without going to the mud tyre for when doing local trips. The cruiser had a full service by the local ARB store & now that I'm back can say it went without a single problem, not one. Thank you Macquarie 4X4 Centre as a well serviced 4wd is needed to do this trip. Two weeks before our departure date a Hema Navigator came up on the forum in a For Sale thread & going for a good price, the only problem was it was on the other side of the country. Well I worried if it would arrive in two weeks but it did in just one week, Thank you Smokescreen & your misses as the Navigator showed all the places of interest so we didn't miss anything.
We left on Saturday at 6am the week before the races & meet our friends Lyn & Dave who were also in a Cruiser with a Jayco in tow at the North Richmond {NSW} BP to fuel up everything including the spare 20 lt jerry of diesel carried on the camper for the car, a 10lt jerry of petrol for the genie & a 5lt jerry of petrol for the 2 stroke mix for the chainsaw.
We headed to Nyngan & stopped at the park beside the river under a shelter hut cause it started raining, then after lunch drove to Bourke to camp at a free camp site called Bourke's Fishing Reserve besides the Darling River. On arrival the rain had stopped & the sun back out with blue skies but found the campsite had been let go after a big flood had damaged the facility so we just dug our own loo & made camp.
P9011072.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TLC60S on October 14th, 2013, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Re: 2013 Birdsville races, 4 weeks & 4 states!

Unread post by TLC60S » October 14th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Next day packed up & went & had a look around the wharf before going to the visitors information centre which has facilities for filling up water tanks
P1020215.JPG
After leaving Bourke we headed to our next destination Currawinya National Park & took the Dowling Track where we aired down after leaving the black top to Fords Bridge where we stopped for lunch & prepared our silverside to put in the Dreampot so tea would be cooked by the time we arrived. After lunch we headed towards Hungerford stopping on the way to pick up firewood for tonight's fire where we had a visit by a local who heard us in the bushes collecting wood & came over for a look
P1020219.JPG
P1020220.JPG
To be continued
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 15th, 2013, 12:51 am

After crossing the border for the first time one of nine border crossing on this trip we stopped for drink at the Royal Mail Hotel & asked where the best spot to camp in Currawinya National Park
P1020223.JPG
To be continued when the site stops crashing after writing it up then after adding a photo only to lose it all

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 16th, 2013, 11:59 am

Well we decided on Ourimperee Waterhole on the Paroo River near the old Homestead & Shearing shed which has flushing toilets & cold showers if you don't have your own . When I started to set up my frig in the camper wouldn't stay alight . After trying everything I knew to try still wouldn't light & my mate Dave kept asking "so what are you going to do now" . After an hour decided to finish setting up with Dave worried about my frig he kept asking so I said I'm going to have our silverside with the Dreampot sauce made from brown sugar, apricot jam & kikoman sauce with peas & corn then after tea have a hot shower then sit around the fire watching that DVD that you were talking about cause the meat in the freezer is still frozen then I will sleep on it & decide in the morning.
Next morning we had breakfast then I put the genie on to run the frig on mains power then drove back to Hungerford to use the phone box to ring the guys who serviced the frig when I had it out when I replaced the floor in the camper.
IMG_6901.JPG

To be continued PS the last photo is out of place cause of issues I have had adding files

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 17th, 2013, 1:07 am

Well I got back from talking to the guys that repaired the frig & I had to unbolt it so I could pull the back cover off to check the purge valve where I found they had left the gas line going to it loose . I tighten it up then tested it before putting the cover on . The flame stayed lit so I put everything back together just in time for lunch.
After lunch we drove out to Lake Numalla which is a large fresh water lake where Peta , Lyn & Dave sat at the picnic tables enjoying the views while I went on a walk around the lakes sandy beach looking for new species of birds to add to my photograph collection .
P9021090.JPG
P9021084.JPG

When I got back we drove out to Lake Wyara an even larger salt water lake only 6 kilometres away , well the last time I was here was back in 2000 in my 60 series & the same camper { but now with a lot of changes} on my first outback trip , we drove right up to the lake but now you can only drive to a lookout with a least a 2km if not more walk to reach the edge of the lake. We all decide to just take in the views from the lookout as now it's 38'c except one of us who decided to go & walk to the water to see birds but I didn't even make it half way in the heat ,no birds on the way so turned back.
On our way back we took a detour to go see The Granites , large granite rocks like at the Devils Marbles but they looked out of place in the mulga woodlands. Dave & myself did the walk & when we arrived at the rocks there were feral goats standing up on some so we chased them away .
P9021094.JPG
We then drove back to woolshed to have a look around before going back to camp.
P1020229.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 17th, 2013, 2:22 am

The next day we left Currawinya National Park & headed to Eulo but not before hitting an emu at about 80kms an hour , the darn thing ran straight out from behind trees straight in front of us killing it out right after hitting the bull bar only leaving a slight mark on the bar . The emus aren't like kangaroos they just run anyway in any direction even if it's towards what they are running from.
We arrived at Eulo back on the black top & fuelled up , then headed west towards Thargomindah after first stopping at Lake Bindegolly to have lunch. Thargomindah is the largest town since leaving Bourke & well kept . We stopped at the information centre where they had one of Steve Fossep { may be spelt wrong } gas cylinders form his world record attempt at flying the longest distance in a hot air balloon . Myself & Peta remember this cause we were camped out near Arrabury when he came down in 2002 on a 8 week trip of the outback cause it was Year Of The Outback.
After leaving Thargomindah we headed to the Jackson Oil Fields & as soon as we hit the dirt roads again 5 road trains were going the other way so we kept pulling over for them . We then arrived at the Bourke & Wills Bridge only to find you can't camp either side of the bridge now . How so many things a changing & you are being stopped & locked out more & more. Anyway we decide to drive into Innamincka to camp but not before our second border crossing & the end of good roads . The 30kms into Innamincka from the border was shocking , very badly corrugated with large sharp rocks & it didn't help driving straight into the setting sun, yep at least some thing don't change .
When we arrived to the Cooper Creek we just set up at the first spot we came to as it has been a long hot day & we just wanted to get set up . When Lyn & Dave opened up there camper Dave came running back out as it was full of an bad gas smell so I went over to find out what has happened & you could tell it was refrigant gas , he just lost his frig in the camper . He turned on a fan he has to keep air flow over the back so it could blow it back out . Lyn & Dave wasn't happy as it took nearly 2 hours to blow the smell away enough to go in the camper . What a day.
Next morning we told Dave he can put his stuff that needs to be kept cool in our frig if he could not get a Esky from the Innamincka Trading Post . After walking back up to the shop to find out they didn't have nothing we were making room in our frig to accomodate there food Lyn went to put the kettle on again to do the washing up only to find the stove now wont work. Poor old Dave it was a bit to much for him so he said where going home . Peta & myself tried to tell him it's not that bad as we can put your frig stuff in our frig & you still have your Engel in the back with your meat in it & the gas stove we can work it out . We packed up & drove up to fuel up when Dave said no he will drive back to Thargomindah & see if they have a frig. When I was fuelling up Peta had a shower at the pay one outside the Trading Post & when I was waiting for her to finish I was talking to a man & lady in a troopy , he was putting the ladies electric wheel chair in the back . Strange how some people let nothing stop them .

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 17th, 2013, 2:26 am

The next day we left Currawinya National Park & headed to Eulo but not before hitting an emu at about 80kms an hour , the darn thing ran straight out from behind trees straight in front of us killing it out right after hitting the bull bar only leaving a slight mark on the bar . The emus aren't like kangaroos they just run anyway in any direction even if it's towards what they are running from.
We arrived at Eulo back on the black top & fuelled up , then headed west towards Thargomindah after first stopping at Lake Bindegolly to have lunch. Thargomindah is the largest town since leaving Bourke & well kept . We stopped at the information centre where they had one of Steve Fossep { may be spelt wrong } gas cylinders form his world record attempt at flying the longest distance in a hot air balloon . Myself & Peta remember this cause we were camped out near Arrabury when he came down in 2002 on a 8 week trip of the outback cause it was Year Of The Outback.
After leaving Thargomindah we headed to the Jackson Oil Fields & as soon as we hit the dirt roads again 5 road trains were going the other way so we kept pulling over for them . We then arrived at the Bourke & Wills Bridge only to find you can't camp either side of the bridge now . How so many things a changing & you are being stopped & locked out more & more. Anyway we decide to drive into Innamincka to camp but not before our second border crossing & the end of good roads . The 30kms into Innamincka from the border was shocking , very badly corrugated with large sharp rocks & it didn't help driving straight into the setting sun, yep at least some thing don't change .
When we arrived to the Cooper Creek we just set up at the first spot we came to as it has been a long hot day & we just wanted to get set up . When Lyn & Dave opened up there camper Dave came running back out as it was full of an bad gas smell so I went over to find out what has happened & you could tell it was refrigant gas , he just lost his frig in the camper . He turned on a fan he has to keep air flow over the back so it could blow it back out . Lyn & Dave wasn't happy as it took nearly 2 hours to blow the smell away enough to go in the camper . What a day.
Next morning we told Dave he can put his stuff that needs to be kept cool in our frig if he could not get a Esky from the Innamincka Trading Post . After walking back up to the shop to find out they didn't have nothing we were making room in our frig to accomodate there food Lyn went to put the kettle on again to do the washing up only to find the stove now wont work. Poor old Dave it was a bit to much for him so he said where going home . Peta & myself tried to tell him it's not that bad as we can put your frig stuff in our frig & you still have your Engel in the back with your meat in it & the gas stove we can work it out . We packed up & drove up to fuel up when Dave said no he will drive back to Thargomindah & see if they have a frig. When I was fuelling up Peta had a shower at the pay one outside the Trading Post & when I was waiting for her to finish I was talking to a man & lady in a troopy , he was putting the ladies electric wheel chair in the back . Strange how some people let nothing stop them .

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 17th, 2013, 2:51 am

Before leaving Innamincka I talked to the lady at the trading Post about the road conditions to work out which way was the best to go as we had only started our trip & already seen a few busted vehicles around . She said not to take campers down Walkers Crossing the track Workhorse recommended & we had already done the Cordillo Down Track before so we decided on the track running through Arrabury on the Queensland side so we crossed the border back into Queensland & turned north to Arrabury.
P9041107.JPG
Along the way we came across two 4wds towing campers with a couple of guys under one of them , & I never drive pass anyone out here without stopping to see if they need help. The guys said they were OK they were pulling there busted spring out so they could take it back to the last station they passed to see if they can weld it . Earlier on that day they broken the other spring, but they additude "we will get there ,see you in Birdsville "

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 17th, 2013, 10:04 am

We arrived at the intersection of the Corrdillo Downs Track & although we were told not travel that track as well we decided to do it so we could see the Cadelga Ruins . So once again we crossed the border back into South Australia & headed to check out Corrdillo Downs Woolshed even though we had seen it on earlier trips.
P9041111.JPG
P9041108 - Copy.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 17th, 2013, 10:45 am

We left the woolshed after walking around it checking the condition of it & it looks though it standing up well for its age , it was built to last. Because the car park had no shade we drove on till we came across a tree lined creek were we could have lunch under the shade. By now the day time temperatures are in the mid to high 30s which were bringing out lots of flies but we found if you stand facing the wind which kept you cool if you were in the shade the flies didn't like it , but it dried the bread out of our sandwiches.
We then headed for our next nights camp at the Cadelga Ruins
IMG_6901.JPG
When we arrived we set up camp beside the waterhole which still had water so I grabbed my camera & went for a look to find more birds. There were plenty around but nothing new to me . On sun set we walked over to watch the sun set on the ruins then walked across the road to check out the windmill but didn't stay there long as the cattle started to come in from the paddocks for a drink & we didn't want to scare them from getting to the water.
P9040001.JPG
P9040012.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 17th, 2013, 11:13 am

That night we had a BBQ for tea with marinated steaks then set up the shower minus the tent as our next campers were far enough away as not to scare them.
The next day we wanted to be in Birdsville so we left there continuing on the Cordillo Downs Track crossing yet again another border back into Queensland
P9050015.JPG
Note in this photo how different the roads are in each state SA with it graded natural earth surface & QLD with stabilised dirt road . They was a big difference when driving on them but the Cordillo Downs Track wasn't as bad as reported besides of been a bit rocky was a good road.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 17th, 2013, 11:15 am

We arrived at the intersection of the Birdsville Developmental Road where we met a constant stream of 4wds with every set up you can have . There were buses , motor bikes , 2wd cars & motorhomes. We pulled in behind the Motorhome Club convoy & slowly started passing them when up ahead on the opposite side of the road there was three elderly guys standing around a 100 series cruiser, I said to Peta they look like they may want help, so we turned around & went back to see. The guys had suffered there third flat tyre & two of there mates in a Hilux has gone head into Birdsville to get more tyres . The guys were all good mates & in there retirement they wanted to tick off The Birdsville Races on there bucket list . One of them even gave me his card with it written on . There said they moved to the opposite side of the road to get out of the dust from all the traffic going to the races. I asked the guys did they want me to try & see if can blow up your flat from my on board compressor but I found it had started to destroy it self from the inside with a bubble showing . I said it's too hot to be sitting on the side of a dusty road so I pulled my second spare out from under my cruiser & we fitted it so they can get to Birdsville . They were still a hundred kilometres out of town.
On the way we caught back up to the Motorhome Club convoy & after making our way around them we then had eight road trains to pass before we made it into Birdsville . On our arrival Birdville was bussing with excitement with people everywhere but we managed to find the guys In the Hilux with the new tyres .

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 18th, 2013, 12:01 am

After leaving the guys we went to find a campsite where we did a full set up with a shower & toilet close enough to walk into town but further enough away to be quiet at night.
P9080060.JPG
We then drove into town cause Peta said it's to hot to walk so we could check out the action . Outside the pub we watched the other Birdsville races where the jockeys who can be anyone from the crowd willing to have a go at winding a toy stuffed horse mounted on a piece of cardboard, you wind a string attached to it onto a bottle & the winner is whos horse crosses the finish line first .
Next day after relaxing around the camp in the morning we drove out to check the sites around Birdsville then drove out to Big Red to show Peta & try & convince her we should cross the Simpson.
P1020260.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 18th, 2013, 12:35 am

P1020256.JPG
P9060020.JPG
P1020266.JPG
P1020264.JPG

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » October 18th, 2013, 1:10 am

To be cotinued

Return to “Epic Adventures/Multi-State”