GME TX3100 UHF Radio any good?

Tips, techniques and accessories for keeping in touch on the tracks
Dubguy
Here and there

GME TX3100 UHF Radio any good?

Unread post by Dubguy » November 27th, 2015, 5:07 am

Hi just found this on prestige communications website, just wondering I f it would be a good buy? I just want it for communicating in a convoy, listening for oncoming convoys on trails, and in case I get stuck and need to find help on a trail. I have a 2013 BT50 with no bull bar. Where is the best mounting for the antenna? TIA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mydmax
Need to get out more

Re: GME TX3100 UHF Radio any good?

Unread post by mydmax » November 27th, 2015, 1:49 pm

Looks a good deal to me. Better than any Oricom.
Best place is on a roof bar or roof rack so the aerial is up high. Down low and on bull bars, the signal is generally less to the forward direction of the vehicle and also shielded by the vehicle itself to the rear.
They don't put communication aerials in pits in the ground, most are up as high as is practical in the situation it is being used in.

Dubguy
Here and there

Unread post by Dubguy » November 27th, 2015, 5:12 pm

I don't have either on my roof, but I am getting a canopy with a roof bar on it. Would that work? Would the length of the cable from there to the unit make any difference?

9natho9
Been here a while

Unread post by 9natho9 » December 5th, 2015, 11:38 am

the length of the cable run wouldn't make a difference, as antenna's have a pre-attatched length of cable which is the optimum length of cable for that antenna, so it would theoretically be slightly better to use the full length of cable than to have it bunched up behind the dash anyway, my choice would be to get a good spring based whip antenna and mounting it on a bonnet/guard mount, just for a simple and easy wiring run, and still a decent signal in that location with that setup

Dubguy
Here and there

Unread post by Dubguy » December 22nd, 2015, 12:12 pm

well ive bought the radio and antenna package, manipulated the bracket to mount the antenna, and got the cable inside the cab. for the power is it best to come straight off the battery? if so how do i disconnect the battery? negative first then positive? do i just conect the ground to the where the batery cable is mounted to the chasis? does disconecting the battery have any affect on any of the computers or alarm or anything, or am i good to just disconnect, work away and then reconnect?
do you guys use little clips or something to hold the antenna coax to the fender , ive used the bonnet mounting bracket. thanks for help in advance. im just worred by messing with the battery i might screw something up!!

Dubguy
Here and there

Unread post by Dubguy » December 24th, 2015, 11:54 am

wired it into cigarette lighters, they seem to have a constant 12 v, or maybe it turns off after a few minutes of locking the car, anyway job done!

Return to “Communications”