Can I use a roof rack with my antenna?

Tips, techniques and accessories for keeping in touch on the tracks
xpusostomos
Here and there

Can I use a roof rack with my antenna?

Unread post by xpusostomos » August 24th, 2015, 5:49 am

I've got a troopy with a UHF radio and with a ground plane dependent antenna fitted to a hole in the roof just behind the driver. Is there any compatibility with this and fitting a roof rack? I don't think I need the ultimate performance, but I don't want to screw it up either. As far as leaving the antenna alone the options seem to be either no roof rack, because it will screw up the ground plane, or else fit a short rack, either 3/4 or 1/2 length. I don't know if that would help or not. Obviously if it was a full length rack it would poke up between the mesh. Oh, around town I use a stubby 12cm antenna, but I have a longer 60cm or whatever one if I need it.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Can I use a roof rack with my antenna?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » August 24th, 2015, 6:52 am

Neither poking an antenna thru between the mesh, nor using a short antenna below the mesh will work very well at all.... :(

A short rack behind your roof mounted antenna will interfere a little with both transmission & reception, but shouldn't block either completely. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

Lookfar
Been here a while

Re: Can I use a roof rack with my antenna?

Unread post by Lookfar » August 28th, 2015, 9:41 pm

First things first, decide on what you want to use your roof rack for...overnighters/weekends away, or remote touring.
This will determine the necessary size of the rack.
Then, depending on what your requirements are, you will need to decide whether to relocate the antenna or not. I would suggest moving it to elsewhere, and using a quality ground plane independent antenna. If your antenna is in close proximity to the rack, and in a position to be influenced by the rack, I would strongly suggest moving it, as the rack will shield the radiation pattern and cause a bad SWR, which in time may damage your transceiver.

Return to “Communications”