UHF interference problem

Tips, techniques and accessories for keeping in touch on the tracks
turbo troopy
Here and there

UHF interference problem

Unread post by turbo troopy » May 21st, 2015, 8:04 pm

Hi, I have a Uniden 8050s and get a large amount of static noise on certain channels when my car radio is on. For some reason the static is only on channels 9,31,78 and maybe 1 or 2 others. The UHF is powered directly from the battery, the head unit is powered via the factory wiring. Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on or how to fix it? Could it be because of the bluetooth on the head unit or something? Cheers

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Re: UHF interference problem

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » May 22nd, 2015, 12:08 am

Could be. Can you turn off the Bluetooth.

Does it have a GPS or satnav built into it. GPS (even a little handheld garmin) can make UHF play up.

Mobil phones certainly used to make car radios make a noise.

Any RF interference can make a radio squawk a bit.

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » May 22nd, 2015, 12:23 am

I had bad interference from using a common earth. Once I earthed the UHF to the body via it's own earth point, rather than piggy backing off another one, the crackling and feed back went away.

Running antenna co-axial cables parallel to existing looms for any distance will induce interference too. You can run them through the firewall with an existing loom, but then try and get some separation as soon as practical.

turbo troopy
Here and there

Unread post by turbo troopy » May 22nd, 2015, 8:29 pm

Thanks guys.

I can't turn the bluetooth off Jimmy (well if I can, I don't know how!), no GPS and it still does it without my phone around!

Hoyks, it has it's own earth and has minimal contact with other looms! Not having much luck and to further complicate things, I tried a hand held unit in my car and it gets the same interference on the same channels...

I think it's my head unit causing it, but can't work out why or how and it only effects some channels. Frustrating!

Jimmy Wood
Avid Poster

Unread post by Jimmy Wood » May 22nd, 2015, 9:13 pm

maybe the head unit transmits at those particular frequencies (or harmonics of them).

Just use a different channel :)

OzzyBowHunter
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by OzzyBowHunter » October 5th, 2015, 12:34 pm

Turbo Troopy, I've just fixed the exact same problem with the exact same channels interfering scan mode on my uhf. Came down to the fitting and soldering of the plug which goes into the unit. Go to https://www.gme.net.au/media/1707991/ge ... uction.pdf and follow instructions paying most attrntion to pulling the braid back over the coaxial cable. This fixed my problem, completely eliminating those channels from interference and extended my Rx range beyond my expectations and can now hear everything. Good luck if you haven't already fixed it yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OzzyBowHunter
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by OzzyBowHunter » October 5th, 2015, 12:38 pm

I was completely out of ideas on how to fix this and tried 2 other units and a 2nd antenna , before sitting on the phone with GME for a while and getting these instructions. I was ready to tear it all out and go back for a refund.

Return to “Communications”