i just had my brain fried

Tips, techniques and accessories for keeping in touch on the tracks
jfoldbar
Avid Poster

i just had my brain fried

Unread post by jfoldbar » February 3rd, 2015, 4:23 am

after a few confusing months with trying to get my comms setup working. (see my other posts) ive been hunting down a guru to help me.
yesterday i found him and got about 1 years worth of information shoved through my ears in 4 hrs. everything from full spectrum of waves to what everything does on my cb. i had no idea it could do half the stuff he showed me yesterday.

so he has been able to get it so i can at least use my cb now, and still has more to do next week.( ran out of time).

what i wonder is, how did others learn what they know? and if like me you knew very little. how did you manage to get a cb that works in your car when i now realize theres so much more to just shoving it in, hooking to battery and talking.

what he done yesterday was joined my new cb to his computer and changed a heap of settings. he explained what he was doing, most of it sunk in and some of it i spent all last night processing.
how do people without his knowledge change all these setting to get 'their' cb to work.

yesterday driving home i couldnt believe how many more people i could hear and talk to. from zero before to a few now. and when he rips out the install the other professions done and does it again, i quite sure it will be better.

Lookfar
Been here a while

Re: i just had my brain fried

Unread post by Lookfar » February 4th, 2015, 4:34 pm

If you get a CB, shove it in to your car, and hook it up to power, it should work.
However, if you want to maximise the performance of your CB, plug it into a frequency counter, check the frequency that it is actually transmitting on, plug it into a PC, make sure the channels are correctly set up, and correct frequency, check SWR of antenna, check antenna and co-ax (don't skimp here, make sure you get the best antenna for your use, it can be the difference between a top radio and a deaf radio).

Also check your Co-ax before you power up, make sure there is no connectivity between the inner and the outer cores. (experts have been known to make a bad connection) Ensure that your power cables are large enough to carry the required amps, and it is fitted with a suitable fuse.

Most of this you pick up along the way

jfoldbar
Avid Poster

Unread post by jfoldbar » February 5th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Lookfar wrote:If you get a CB, shove it in to your car, and hook it up to power, it should work.
it worked, but talking to someone was a completely different story, therefore defeating its purpose.
i dunno how anyone without electrical gadget knowledge just can pick up along the way what a frequency counter is and what it does. ive never heard of it. how to 'set up' channels to frequency ect. humans are all the same, we cant know something unless we either read it, are told it, or spend ages working it out for ourselves. but how do you 'work out' what a frequency counter is?

a few of the things this guy pointed out that the so called pros done that were wrong are.
too much cable from aerial to cb(loss). power and aerial cable taped together(interference). went wrong place through firewall (temperature) .

Lookfar
Been here a while

Unread post by Lookfar » February 6th, 2015, 8:15 pm

jfoldbar wrote:
but how do you 'work out' what a frequency counter is?

A frequency counter is a device that measures the transmit frequency of your radio and displays it on a screen.

Return to “Communications”