UHF - Handheld or Dash, what's your experience??

Tips, techniques and accessories for keeping in touch on the tracks
rabbithunter
Here and there

UHF - Handheld or Dash, what's your experience??

Unread post by rabbithunter » July 9th, 2014, 6:47 pm

Hi all.
i am going to put a radio in my truck, however, i want to keep the look of my Lux as stock as possible. Without having aerials.
Was wondering if anyone could share there experiences with having a handheld over an inbuilt radio
I am prepared to pay as much as an inbuilt UHF, maybe i could get opinions of good models
i previously have had inbuilts in the past but i am over aerials.

My radio use is just comms in convoy.
Josh
Varmint Hunting
Rabbit Division

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: UHF - Handheld or Dash, what's your experience??

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 9th, 2014, 7:02 pm

If you want to communicate with someone more than a few hundred metres ahead or behind across the broad range of terrain & hills, vegetation, trees, etc you might encounter when 4Wheeling in Aust, you should probably consider using an external antenna!!

Buut, if you only ever drive a few car lengths apart in generally flat & clear terrain, then a handheld with inbuilt antenna will probably work OK....

Why are you over antennae, what has brought you to that pass?!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

rabbithunter
Here and there

Unread post by rabbithunter » July 9th, 2014, 9:26 pm

I have seen some nice 5W Handhelf Radios getting around, i have had a few dramas with antennas.
I dont know what i have decided yet. I dont really use a radio unless i am with other cars, i am not that much off a tourer, i mostly go hunting with the boys in the one car anyway, we never even use UHF.
Josh
Varmint Hunting
Rabbit Division

nao
Avid Poster

Unread post by nao » July 9th, 2014, 9:32 pm

ICOM hand held and connect it to an external arial.. best of both worlds. range in its own right is sensational (terrain permitable)

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » July 9th, 2014, 9:41 pm

Yep, there are some nice & capable 5W handhelds out there, ICOM, Kenwood, GME, even Uniden all have good examples, but they really do need an external antenna to work well in adverse conditions/terrain.

A good quality 'fold down' gutter mount with a 4-6dba gain ground independent antenna mounted on it; a 'Z' bracket on the bonnet/guard with the same antenna on a spring base; or even one of them mounted on the bull bar with a spring base & you should get reasonable range out of most of them in most conditions/terrain; but using only the inbuilt antenna you might well find your range is no further than you can see.... and in thick bush or steep hills, that might not be too far!

Check the Other Accessories for Sale here in the Classifieds, there's a reasonable looking handheld in there that might well suit your needs, and just about any of the mid range gain antenna offerings from RFI or GME will improve its range to 3-5 km at worst, probably as good as 20-30 in good conditions/terrain.

Here's a link to it:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=153232
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

rabbithunter
Here and there

Unread post by rabbithunter » March 26th, 2015, 12:18 pm

I know its been a long time since i have replied, i have since bought a baofeng handheld, just working on a car kit, Dualband, so i have programmed CB UHF Freqs as well as Marine VHF 16 in it, so i can take it on the water with me.
Josh
Varmint Hunting
Rabbit Division

Return to “Communications”