Whats the best 'blue tick' smart phone?

Tips, techniques and accessories for keeping in touch on the tracks
cuvier100
Been here a while

Re: Whats the best 'blue tick' smart phone?

Unread post by cuvier100 » July 3rd, 2012, 10:59 pm

Well with the iPhone 4S you certainly did not buy a decent bluetick phone! But it is much better than on the old Nokia blue tick phones - well to be truthful anything is better than those phones nowadays.

If you wanted something that will work past the black stump in fringe areas you needed a blue tick phone. They really do work where others won't.

The Nokia Lumina has excellent reception (blue tick) but its windows 7 operating system lets it down big time.

HTC and Telstra have introduced a new HTC One XL 4G Andriod bluetick phone which is top shelf and exceptional. Its perdicted that many iPhone users will switch to it as it leaves the iPhone 4 for dead.

As it is an Andriod phone you can run iGo and oziexplorer so you everything you need int he your pocket. Plus none of this itunes crap.

The only down side would be its battery life about 1.5 to 2 days with medium use.

cruiserjunky
Getting to know the place

Unread post by cruiserjunky » July 4th, 2012, 10:42 am

Hahaha yeh ... bit of a back flip but we got a good deal and have extended warranty until the end of the contract so if anything major goes wrong we'll be covered. Still a bit apprehensive but we'll just have to wait and see!! :purplex:
I live off road!

cuvier100
Been here a while

Unread post by cuvier100 » July 4th, 2012, 10:22 pm

You won't be disappointed as the iPhone 4 was blue tick phone a few years ago until some new phones knocked it off the perch.

We have them at work and they perform well in the country. Apple put a fair bit of work into the antenna design to improve this aspect of their phones.

The advantage is that if you get an iPad that you can share iCloud and various apps. They make great companions as they have the same operating system.

The carcomm kits with external anntenna also extends its range in fringe areas.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » July 4th, 2012, 10:25 pm

Didn't the iphone 4 have the death grip issue though?

The antenna was a part of the case and when you held the case without a protective insulator reception dropped off?
Or was that the one before the 4s..
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » July 5th, 2012, 6:45 am

The Iphone 4s IS a blue tick phone.

I recently got a HTC One XL. Not a bad phone but despite it being advertised as 32G it internally says total capacity is 24G. Not enough for all my maps and music and false advertising. Telstra agreed to take it back and let me out of the contract. If you don't need more than 24G then it's a great blue tick phone.

As for Iphone users moving to HTC because it's a better phone, yeah right.....

cuvier100
Been here a while

Unread post by cuvier100 » July 5th, 2012, 12:37 pm

boobook wrote:The Iphone 4s IS a blue tick phone

As for Iphone users moving to HTC because it's a better phone, yeah right.....

Just having a bit of fun!

boobook
Part of the furniture

Unread post by boobook » July 5th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Hmm, looks like I stepped right in to that.

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » July 6th, 2012, 10:09 am

FWIW, DeathGrip on an iPhone 4/4s is a non event.

If you're taking it anywhere, you want it in a case. Practically any case in the market covers the external arial anyhow so even IF it affected the phone, you'd never know.

iPhone 4 and 4s are fine devices at a consumer level. I prefer the WinPhone interface but that's personal preference. I don't know if I could with good concience recommend it (WinPhone that is) to anyone now knowing it's going to be as worthless in 12-18 months as the Lumia 800/900 will be. I suppose phones only really an average of about 12 months now anyway, but if you're on a 24month contract than you'll want better than that.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » May 25th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Hi everyone
I'm replacing my old Samsung I've had for 2 1/2 years so I need an update on this thread .
I'm looking at the IPhone 5C as my current Samsung was not friendly to me as all the other phones I have had in the past that has a touch screen. I produce a lot of static electricity & now it's got to the stage with my current phone I only need to put it up to my ear to change the screen. In the 1st year of owning it I also blew up the mother board some how.
So I'm hoping you wont say Samsung but I'm open to suggestions or is there any other brands I should consider.
Thanks in advance
Cheers TLC60S

Harb
Need to get out more

Unread post by Harb » May 25th, 2014, 5:38 pm

cruiserjunky wrote:Here's the verdict - we ended up getting iphone4s and it turns out that the reception out here is better than our old nokias. Only worry is durability ... Luckily there are oodles of protective covers available. The ability to use the phones on our wifi around the house is also a bonus as reception is scetchy inside (we have satellite bband as we are too far from the closest tower for adsl). Happy so far, will keep you posted. :D

Good choice, I stall have mine and flog the poor thing to death.

I have it in one of those tradie type covers and have dropped it over 30 feet onto concrete with no effect.......get a good rubberised cover and you will have it for years and years........

JC807
Been here a while

Unread post by JC807 » May 26th, 2014, 5:59 am

My 4s lasted a 2 year contract (some of that in a lifeproof case) and still survives after a further 6 months with 3 & 5 year olds playing games on it occasionally.

My 3GS is also still working perfectly and must be 4.5 years old.

I now have a 5s in a lifeproof case which I'm happy with too.

Obviously not for everyone, but I've found using apple products to be good. We have a MacBook for our computer and use Apple TV and 3 x airport expresses for multi room audio control and it all works flawlessly together.
previous:-> 06 BF XR6T, 74 KE20 4AGTE, 04 RZN149R, 01 AE112R, 01 KR42R, 84 E30 318i, 67 MINI DELUXE
current:-> 08 VOLVO V50 T5 AWD, MY13 ISUZU D-MAX 4X4

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » April 9th, 2015, 1:10 pm

stretch4x4 wrote:Shaker he already mentioned that he couldn't try due to the nearest store not offering that anymore, otherwise I am sure he wouldn't be here.

Not having a blue tick doesn't mean it won't work, but having it does mean you are likely to have improved range and speed. I have had 3 HTC next g smartphones and been quite impressed with range and speed, however I have travelled with blue tick dumb phone users (mostly Nokias) and they usually do have better coverage. So while not necessary, I think it is worth looking for.
This is an old thread I know, but I'm gaining personal experience from this right now, and have before. I think also the alternate network's tech/coverage is improving now since the OP. I think the OP quite relevant to this day.

I have an S3 that gets better reception at times than a Blue Tick S5 in a VERY marginal area, enough that it forces us to install a car kit in the home, with dual bandwidth antenna on the roof, so we can use 3G in the low antenna decibel range to get beyond the trees and hills to the only mobile tower in reception range. The S3 4G LTE is not a Blue Tick, but does well, and we'll be using it as a slave phone/modem on a new 10gb Optus 10gb plan (plan sim taken from a Note 4,) with a car kit in the house. I had a look at the S6 phone, almost got one, but it doesn't have a quick swap battery, and the 8-core processor is very hungry, so got a Note 4 instead, which I'll use later with a car kit in the 4wd when we switch over to NBN after this phone plan expires. Otherwise, if you're on foot, coverage these days can be resolved with equipment, or a short walk up the hill in most places, even borrow a phone off a passer by if you're desperate. Excepting coverage in the desert, you got problems without a sat phone :rolleyes:

Sorry if I missed the loan phone statement in the OP, but I do believe in my experience, the Blue Tick is marginally better sometimes, and many high end smart phones phones without it may have not made in into the marketing pie. Again doesn't mean they perform way, way better per-say, I see the proof for myself. If you have a car kit, such as a Strike car cradle, with the correct external antenna for your needs, be it used in a home from a clean 12v source (deep cycle battery/solar etc,) or on in a vehicle, Blue Tick has little benefit. If you're concerned about having to leave the phone in a cradle whilst needing to make a call, you don't need to put in on speaker phone, you can buy a Blue Ant ear piece and walk around the house or car within range of the phone's BT. I would stay away from cheap Ebay solutions with this though, as you get what you pay for and might think how much of a bad Idea Shakes came up with :lol: You cannot use a patch lead on a Samsung phones without risking easy and permanent damage to the internal antenna by the way. Admittedly, though, that's not to say there aren't cruddy phones out there! Generally, most Apple and Samsung phones are ok, except the S2, which is a little bit sad, but not entirely bad either.

As for external antennas, Telstra recommend a Yagi antenna, and would be happy to sell you one. These are mostly for connecting to modems, but can connect to a phone via a car cradle as mentioned earlier. Whilst Yagi antennae perform well (you need two of them for 4G, one for 3G, we can't get 4G, so one in our case,) so as mentioned, my solution is car cradle to a ZCG (Aussie made) 4wd dual band antenna 3G/4G/3db/6.2db that I can use later on the 4wd when we make the home switch to NBN maybe. I'm not minded to spend lots on equipment that I can't use elsewhere later on. Strike also make good antennas for their cradle range, but you really ned an antenna to suit you needs, now, and into the future.

Stretch, if you read this, only Nokia experience I had was a 3310, and an N8. Two brand new N8s blew their charger internals, were sent for repair, then did the same again. I swear, from personal experience of being ripped-off by Nokia's inferior products, I would rather not have a phone at all, then pay/rely on their products again. Mind you, each of those N8 phones were Nokia's flagship phones at the time, and from memory were about $650 each back then. That was money wasted! The 3310 was my first phone :urgh: It was reliable though, and easy for elderly persons to use. I tried giving my Mother an S2, and she couldn't get her head around it, and preferred complicated texting, rather than easy to use qwerty keypad.

Shakes.

TLC60S
Part of the furniture

Unread post by TLC60S » April 11th, 2015, 4:21 pm

You wouldn't believe it but I wound up with a Samsung S5 but I found out after doing a lot of research that not all Samsung S5 phones are the same.
To get the country coverage you need to be on the Telstra Next G network so I focused on being set up for the Next G network .
I found out the Next G network only runs on 3G so getting a 4G speed phone was pointless.
So when discovering there were different S5 models I opted for the Samsung S5 900 H which by Samsung & Telstra recommendations was better for the Next G network. If you wanted faster down load speeds you had to be on the digital network & have a Samsung S5 900 I .
Both phones look identical but if you go into Setting & scroll down to System & click on About device it will tell you which model you have.
I have fitted a Bury XXL S9 car kit with a Telstra aerial to boost reception when travelling in the 4wd.

Cheers TLC60S

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » April 11th, 2015, 6:37 pm

SMG 900 I is the one my partner has, the same one that performs as well as the non-blue tick S3. Both are 3G/4G phones. 4G took NextG's place as far as I know. I don't know who is still on the NextG nextwork any more, or if it even exists anymore, maybe in some places pre-4G upgrade it exists? I know all we have is 4G in town and 3G on fringe areas, no NextG, simply because the lower frequency of basic 3G @ 850Mhz has more range. Blue Tick certification is being sold without specifying anything about NextG. Perhaps before 4G, there was a time when blue tick certification was sold along side NextG, being both wow factors to grab the consumer's interest of slightly better data speeds. The tail-end of this marketing appears to have all ended around the time S5 was released. That was some time back now. Note 4 has no mention of NextG in it's specs, nor does the S6. So yeah, it's a dinosaur I'd say. I found an older post on Whirlpool:-

Telstra NextG – UMTS 850MHz – Metropolitan and regional
Telstra 3G – UMTS 2100MHz – Metropolitan only

Optus YesG – UMTS 900/2100MHz – Metropolitan and regional
Optus 3G – UMTS 2100MHz – Metropolitan only

Telstra aren't very clear on blue tick certification, and what network types suit it. They simply say during a sale or enquiry, "It's blue tick, so you will get better coverage with a carrier that is the best in the country." Kind of generalized sales pitch for dummies, not much information behind such a statement other than, you have better chance of connectivity on fringe areas, and better again within. Ok? It must be just antenna sensitivity... of course it is! So we talk, which phones make the cake, and which ones just didn't pass, and of those phones, which are still good, and which ones are terrible. You can compare then side by side with another phone that is 'blue tick' (sensitivity tested) on the same network, though not necessarily with Telstra, and needing to buy a phone from them, we, the minority that knows better, just averted Telstra marketing. Also we consider the phones that just pass enough to be certified blue tick, are those ones also purchased in large shipments at a wholesale price and then marketed blue tick so they can move them? They sure are! That's my point previously in this thread. If I'm going to sell you my car, I will sell you on all it's good points to catch your interest, so much so that you will sign up to buy it on the spot, because you are now convinced and confident in your purchase. We must not be caught out be clever marketing strategies, but at the same time, you do know your phone tested above the sensitivity threshold. Blue Tick certification is that peace of mind, but not the be all and end all when it comes to choice and affordability. In some case as I said, the difference is marginal compared to those other phones the didn't quite cut it. Nuff said. I guess I said in a few different ways :gurn:

Shakes.

Return to “Communications”