Whats the best 'blue tick' smart phone?

Tips, techniques and accessories for keeping in touch on the tracks
cruiserjunky
Getting to know the place

Whats the best 'blue tick' smart phone?

Unread post by cruiserjunky » June 27th, 2012, 3:49 pm

We are looking at getting new phones (smart phones) and as we live/play where phone reception is marginal at its best I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips. Iphone/Samsung/Motorolla/Nokia????? also which ones break the easiest? :confused:
I live off road!

dod28
Avid Poster

Re: Whats the best 'blue tick' smart phone?

Unread post by dod28 » June 28th, 2012, 2:29 pm

If you are in an area with marginal service you need to find out which carrier has the best coverage in your area(normally Telstra) and find out what bandwidths they use and get a phone to match. Other than that talk to the experts for more advice.

cruiserjunky

Unread post by cruiserjunky » June 28th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Cheers mate, we've only got telstra out here and the local shop (130km away) no longer provides demos and can't seem to provide us with any help on which phone has the best reception. Im hoping there is still a clause in the contracts that if you are not happy with a phone they'll take it back if you return it within 24 hrs un scathed. Just have to do 300 km round trip to find out! Might give the new Nokia Windows phone a go. :confused:
I live off road!

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » June 28th, 2012, 6:52 pm

I wondered about this the other day..
A quick look suggests the luminia 800 is blue ticked and so is HTC one xl if you like android (winter be long and a new better version of windows will be out that the 800 won't be upgradable to..)
Image HDJ79R & Traxxas Summit

Robdeo
Avid Poster

Unread post by Robdeo » June 28th, 2012, 8:17 pm

I believe that the lumia 800 is the best reception Telstra smart phone.

I just got one of these as a trial at work, so I'm coming from a series of iPhones.

On top of having good reception and the fact that I love the interface, the Nokia drive app it comes with provides free maps and navigation, which is cached (so it works WITHOUT 3G coverage!)

On the downside, it looks like version 8 of the phone OS won't work on it when it's released... Oh and the camera is ordinary. Battery life is less than a iPhone 4, but get a car charger and it doesn't matter much.

For me, I prefer it to the iPhone hands down.

Before i forget, Tethering isn't available yet!

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » June 28th, 2012, 8:46 pm

Bummer tethering is handy once you get used to it..

started reading this on the train, might have some more info..
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1891138

cruiserjunky

Unread post by cruiserjunky » June 28th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Cheers I'll let you know what I think. I believe they have passive aerial vehicle mounts too (I hate patch leads!)
I live off road!

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » June 28th, 2012, 10:55 pm

cruiserjunky, spend some time visiting and talking to all your neighbours - see what phones they've got and if they are happy with them, that's probably the most reliable way of making sure that you will get a phone that works where you are. ;)
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cruiserjunky

Unread post by cruiserjunky » June 29th, 2012, 1:23 am

Only got two neighbors and the closest is 5km ... neither has smart phones. Cheers anyway
I live off road!

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 29th, 2012, 2:30 am

Just because it doesn't have Telstra's 'Blue Tick' does not mean it won't perform. Remember, they have a market for themselves too! Pick the phone you want and try before you buy if you can. I've had Telstra send me a loan Phone before to trial it. A Phone store may have one you could borrow for the day to trial it. Doesn't hurt to ask anyway. Most new generation smart phones are good with reception. You should also strongly consider getting a 4G compatible one.

Samsung Galaxy S3 has Gorilla Glass 2 and has specifications and versatility that are market leading. Unlike Apple products that require jail breaking to be able to load apps saved to your PC, Android offers more open sourced flexibility and functionality. Phone menu browsers can be either free or paid and there are quite a few to chose from. 4G with 3G and NextG fallback are fully usable, unlike previous introduced 4G models that could not cope with the data speeds of 4G. Not only are they faster, the hardware (apart from the larger screen) is more energy efficient thanks to smaller architecture in modern electronics. To mention a larger screen means not only media on the phone is more enjoyable, but in-car GPS is more visible and useful to the driver. The S3 has many advantages over current competitor phones including camera and video recording capabilities. I'm waiting for the Galaxy Note to be upgraded with the power of the S3 and Gorilla Glass 2 because I want a slightly bigger screen than the S3 and don't need it to be so compact. For me, it has to be about balance for what I would like to own for it's intended purpose and future proof specs. Current tablets are all too big for in-car GPS, lack computing power and consume more power than what I would like. Battery life of the S3 has many good reports from users.

These Samsung phones have external antenna capability as well which is important to you. I know the S2 did so I don't see why the S3 would have dropped the idea, I'm pretty sure you can fit one to the S3.

The S3 is as far as I am concerned the best phone on the market today. But don't take my word for it, check out their website.

Nokia = fail. The company is struggling and two flag ship phones I bought a while ago both failed one after the other shortly after arriving in the home and the same thing was happening to many others. The company is not keeping up with the leaders in Phones and their older open sourced OS software was not main stream either and I'm pretty sure they are now using Windows based Phone OS now, which is also not main stream when it comes to Phones and will take some time to fully get off the ground in regard to compatible apps such as what the Android Market has available. This includes GPS apps. Nokia are clutching at straws and want to climb back up the ladder, but after my personal experience not so long ago, I wouldn't touch the brand. This information is mentioned in many complaints across the internet and reviews. Their Lumina 800 is soon to be old hat in the very near future too.

Apple = commercialized and locked into a market place. I fail to see why they continue to sell so many other than old hype, because a few years back, they were the best, just not any more. My partner bought an iPhone 4 10 months ago and she regrets it. Continual updates for one and no way to roll back to a previous update. Update 5.1 which was meant to rectify battery issues now drains her battery like crazy. If you ask me, I think it's attempting to force people to buy the 4S as their iPhone 4 is now a problem. Not all iPhone 4 were affected during this update and numerous work-arounds have failed to rectify the problem as it solely an OS problem. Apple never did offer a solution afterward so what does that tell you. This information is also splashed across the internet in complaints and reviews.

Many other brands are slowly building a bad reputation proven among consumers time and time again and they too are falling behind the pack. There are only a few leading brands now and not what the leading brands once were years ago.

Whatever you decide upon, try Ballistic Phone Cases to protect your Phone.

Here is a keyboard compatible with many phones (check site compatibility list.) Keep in mind all smart phone touch screens have a 'touch' life span after so many presses of one area of the screen. and the keyboard basically turns it into a mini laptop.

AVG anti-virus is also available for Android Phones now too. Apple is also suffering security loop holes and is now being attacked.

I'm looking at upgrading my home theater amplifier some time and looking at Onkyo A/V network receivers. They offer smart phone apps for remote control of the amp and steaming music from the Phone. I see DJ apps to add mixing effects, though these apps are still in their infancy, but fun all the same. Smart Phones are the most versatile device on the planet aside from a tooth brush :D

Shakes.

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » June 29th, 2012, 7:29 am

Shaker he already mentioned that he couldn't try due to the nearest store not offering that anymore, otherwise I am sure he wouldn't be here.

Not having a blue tick doesn't mean it won't work, but having it does mean you are likely to have improved range and speed. I have had 3 HTC next g smartphones and been quite impressed with range and speed, however I have traveled with blue tick dumb phone users (mostly nokias) and they usually do have better coverage. So while not necessary, I think it is worth looking for.

Also other than Microsoft shooting them in the foot with no upgrade to windows 8 for the luminas, Nokia are still making great phones.. those who have an 800 love them and they will get 7.8 which will give 50% of the new features in win 8. Although I don't think Nokia will take long to get a win 8 luminia out which I think would be awesome

cruiserjunky

Unread post by cruiserjunky » June 29th, 2012, 2:41 pm

Cheers everyone I appreciate the info!
I live off road!

Shaker4x4
Need to get out more

Unread post by Shaker4x4 » June 29th, 2012, 4:35 pm

stretch4x4 wrote:Shaker he already mentioned that he couldn't try due to the nearest store not offering that anymore, otherwise I am sure he wouldn't be here.
Missed that sorry. In that case, look at Telstra's coverage maps? I'm sure your already aware of signal strength though, it's a pain. Been there done that. It feels like the area is still backward. The maps aren't exact, but it does give some indication of signal strength in the area. I used to live in a black spot. We could only get reception on a mobile (3G) on the other side of town and up on a hill. Telstra sent us a modem to try wireless internet and even with an external gutter mounted antenna, it was a fail exercise. So we stuck to our land line and dialup because Satellite broadband was just too expensive and we had no idea how long we were intending to stay, so going into an expensive contract would have been stupid.

With Telstra rolling out NBN, it won't be long before ADSL is available (if not already) and with that, perhaps a Home Line Budget plan would suit you for the purpose of having a line with ADSL connected and then grab a VOIP plan, enter your VOIP login details into your smart phone and have N series WI-Fi coverage all around the home (depending on RF signal strength settings in the modem) and make as many local and national calls as you like utilizing your broadband when it becomes available. Engin is a good VOIP company. It's an option you may want to consider. Engine's Mobile VOIP however is not better than Optus prepaid and personally not worth consideration.

You may have to be a little more patient until NBN comes your way... Sad, but what can you do? :irked:

My modem is a Billion Bi-PAC - VNPX 7404 - Dual VOIP/3G fallback N series modem/router and I've enjoyed it for about 4 years now. With broadband always on and VOIP logged in. We use Wi-Fi for everything here now.

Some ideas for you :thumb: Your welcome cruiserjunky.

Shakes.

cruiserjunky

Unread post by cruiserjunky » July 3rd, 2012, 9:47 am

Here's the verdict - we ended up getting iphone4s and it turns out that the reception out here is better than our old nokias. Only worry is durability ... Luckily there are oodles of protective covers available. The ability to use the phones on our wifi around the house is also a bonus as reception is scetchy inside (we have satellite bband as we are too far from the closest tower for adsl). Happy so far, will keep you posted. :D
I live off road!

stretch4x4

Unread post by stretch4x4 » July 3rd, 2012, 6:48 pm

You what!! :o :lol:

Hope it does the job for you. :thumb: I know there are mixed reports on them but if it is working for you, who cares :D

Return to “Communications”