Home-made gear/accessories, post yours!!!!

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Re: Home-made gear/accessories, post yours!!!!

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » February 9th, 2015, 1:28 pm

Hi mate,

If your going to make a double axle what rating (weight) are you thinking about?

I am currently building my trailer with a single piece chassis and drawbar, but unless you have good knowledge about design and a bit of trailer building experience I would suggest a design that has a box section with suspension underneath and an independant drawbar underneath it running to the front of the suspension mounts.

I would run the 100x50x3 vertically from the hithc to the front of the suspension and then consider a third piece of RHS running from the back of the hitch down the centre of the trailer to at least the middle of the two axles.

Using 100x50x3 for all of the underside of the box is really overkill, and its going to get really really heavy really quick. Its great for the drawbar, especially if your going to put a toolbox on there later but for the whole underside its more then I have previously used on car trailers.

When you bend the steel to make a one piece chassis and drawbar, you are reducing the strength especially at the out where you bend it (assuming a cut trianlge section out and re weld) even if you gusset the crap out of it with 8-10mm plate its still not the best design.

Sorry for the confusing order of those paragraphs, I have been working all night.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

WGN355
Been here a while

Unread post by WGN355 » February 9th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Will have a 2-2-5 ton gtm. This is bout the 4th trailer ill b building. Couple of small bike trailers and most recently a 5mx2.2m bike trailer to house 5-6 bikes and all the gear.

i have cut up this trailer and using it to help build the new camper. Taking the camper trailer, bike trailer and 2 cars away every trip got expensive. So needed to combine into one. New trailer will be 4.2m long and 1.9m wide. Rectangle section is 8x4 but box trailer section will be 7x4 using the extra 1ft at the front to mount the 2 big bikes. I will then have the 85cc mounted on the drawbar being the only weight put on the drawbar. A lift up frame ontop will hold a toolbox and behind that the 2 pw50's. Built it strong to hold the extra weight of the bikes and gear. Fully loaded trailer should be under 2t as the bikes weigh less then 300kgs collectively. Dual axle will help with distributing the weight and holding the extraweight. When we take the bikes of the toolbox can be mounted in place of the bikes.

WGN355
Been here a while

Unread post by WGN355 » February 9th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Where it sits now

Rogers Cruiser
Part of the furniture

Unread post by Rogers Cruiser » February 10th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Gusset the living crap out of the point where the drawbar/chassis bends.

That is a serious week point on a 2T trailer. remember as you corner the force is amplified on a single side,

I would use 10mm gussets on the underside of the bend point 150mm on each side of the bend and then dont weld all the sides only those sides that dont have force on them during pulling. IE dont weld the same direction that the axles will sit.

and I would even consider a central support running from the middle of the two axles to the rear of the hitch point.

remember there are lots of forces in play when towing a trailer.
'98-'06 - FJ-45 Ute fell over one day and didnt survive
'06-now - HJ-47 Troopy, restored and now daily driver.
'13-now - HJ-47 Ute, Farm fresh rust bucket, needs a restoration. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=152811

now - Off Road Box/Camper Trailer. viewtopic.php?f=134&t=153968&p=1792444#p1792444

Dont listen to me, Ive got an opinion on everything!

Ethantyrrell
Getting to know the place

Unread post by Ethantyrrell » November 6th, 2015, 1:54 pm

made a gas bottle holder that bolts to the tow bar bolts,
bought the galv bracket and made the box to hold everything also cut and welded the hinges to get the bottle out and has just been sent off for powdercoat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » November 6th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Flash gas bottle holder Ethan, but (if you haven't already) it might pay to put a few largish 'drain holes' in the base plate - if gas leaks outa the tank/valve & pools anywhere (like in the bottom of that swish holder), it can be an explosive problem.... & it looks like you might have about an inch or so 'un-drained' in the bottom of your holder's base tray!! That's potentially enough gas to make your ute tray into so much scrap metal but completely avoidable with a drain hole or 2!

And is that gas bottle near the fuel tank &/or filler too?! That could potentially make any 'bang' a WHOLE LOT bigger & more damaging/painful!! :eek:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

DangerPE
Here and there

Unread post by DangerPE » November 9th, 2015, 3:53 pm

new bars for the ute, cost me about $300 all up
IMG_4906 bars small.jpg
just picked them up from the galvanisers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Courier 2.5 turbo
2005 Patrol 4.2TD

Ranger50
Avid Poster

Unread post by Ranger50 » November 29th, 2015, 6:09 am

Hi Guys,

Got fed up with my camp stove not sitting level or my beer falling over all the time on the tailgate with the tub liner so I replaced it with a piece of aluminium composite sheet, now everthing sits level and a flat surface to work with!!!

LUV IT!!!!

Cheers Ranger50 :drink: :drink: :thumb:
FordRangerPKDC2009HighlandGreenDeluxebarWinchSnorkelLR TankCanopyXXXHIDDLightsUHFReverseCameraDualBatteriesOBCompressorHID conversion2inLiftBFGAT2657516WetseatSeatcoversTurbo TimerCustomrockersBattMon

dedgar
I'm new, be nice!

Re:

Unread post by dedgar » December 15th, 2015, 9:52 pm

nandor85 wrote:..... so i got myself some 8mm thick 100x100 angle iron and got 2 work and this is what i come up with

no catch points and protects the sill from denting ect

How does it connect to the car? thinking of doing something similar for my lux.

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » February 24th, 2016, 1:40 pm

had a few projects on the go lately, new dog cage for my ute, and then galvanized, more to come.....

and made a fridge surround of sorts and a new battery box for a friend and forum members Colorado (navara07)

its come up very well and he is stoked with it.

THE RIG
Need to get out more

Unread post by THE RIG » February 24th, 2016, 1:41 pm

couple more

Return to “DIY”