Can I re-position the turbo on a 79 series VD FTV?

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
cruiser_downunder91
I'm new, be nice!

Can I re-position the turbo on a 79 series VD FTV?

Unread post by cruiser_downunder91 » January 29th, 2018, 5:41 pm

hi first time post, I've searched all over the net and cant get a straight answer but can you reposition the turbo on a 79 series v8 cruiser? vd ftv engine

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: Can I re-position the turbo on a 79 series VD FTV?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 29th, 2018, 5:58 pm

Hi cruiser downunder, welcome to the Forum! I guess, if you've got enough money to throw at it, you can probably do almost anything to one of these things!! :eek:

However, to work well, a turbo needs to be pretty close to the exhaust outlets of the head/heads & reasonably able to access or link to the inlet manifold/s too! Sooo, the further away a turbo is from the head, then generally the less efficient/effective it'll be - and remember, Toyota spent millions of test & development $$ working out the most efficient spot/s for the turbo/turbos on these things..... so it's not all that likely that you'll 'improve' much (let alone anything!) by moving the turbo!! :o

Buuuut, can you tell us why you feel there's a need to move the turbo?? What's your aim?? Pics?? :purplex:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cruiser_downunder91
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by cruiser_downunder91 » January 29th, 2018, 6:32 pm

hi peter cheers for reply! yeah i thought that was the case, why i was asking is because im gonna have a crack at fitting one of these things into a 105 series and iv read the article that the aussie images bloke wrote bout his conversion and trying to find ways to avoid the run ins he had with it like the height issue as he said he couldn't lower the engine enough into the engine bay because the turbo would hit the chassis, so i thought why not move it to the other side and out of the way,

also wondering if its legal in Aussie to modify the firewall of a 105 to sit the engine back enough so i dont have to make a linkage for the gear leaver nor have to use a falcon fan cooler

i haven't been able to find anyone els who has done it or has any other ideas everyone just says its too hard,

Peter Aawen
Admin

Unread post by Peter Aawen » January 29th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Sure doesn't sound too easy, but hey, you'll never know unless you try! :thumb:

But first up, which State are you in? The rules for mods (especially those like the firewall) do vary somewhat from State to State, so I'd strongly suggest that you find a local Modification Approval Engineer FIRST, and have a fairly in depth discussion with them about what you plan to do & how to avoid any issues or approval hitches they can see BEFORE you commit to changing anything, or you risk ending up having to re-do some expensive or fiddly things just to get them passed!! For example, it might be a whole lot easier just to raise the arch of the bonnet than to mod the firewall, lower the engine, or swap the turbo across to the other side - and besides, you really don't want a turbo too close to the battery or other electrical or brake fluid filled components!! Most Mod Engineers will readily discuss that sort of thing up front, and if they've been involved with what you plan from the set to, they are more likely to pass whatever you end up doing!?! ;)

Still, I'm pretty sure it HAS been done successfully a bunch of times, and others surely have found a solution for the niggly things, so hopefully you'll get someone from your State chiming in eventually. And don't let a lack of replies or too many negative replies on a Forum, any Forum, stop you from checking out what you can do/how you can achieve what you are after.... altho why on earth anyone would ever want to put one of THOSE V8 diesel motors into a perfectly good 105 is beyond me! :rolleyes: :p

Good Luck!
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

cruiser_downunder91
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by cruiser_downunder91 » January 30th, 2018, 3:22 pm

cheers mate, yeah im in W.A,
i want to do it because i love the 105 series but dont like the sluggishness and done research on waking a snail on the side and 80 percent of it was bit iffy, iv always wanted a v8 and the 100 comes out in one but petrol and not live axle like 105 so instead of puting a chevy in it like everyione els i thought id stick with the cruiser style and wak the cruiser v8 diesel in it, best of both worlds,

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » January 31st, 2018, 12:22 pm

Toyota do spend a lot on R&D to design the manifold, but they also do make a lot of comprises when it comes to production. The main reason it is where it is, is so the motor is a nice boxy shape to make assembly easier.

If you know someone that knows their way around a TIG and tube/exhaust fabrication you can make up a new manifold and re-position it a bit. You are limited by how much space you have to play in the engine bay. You might get away with going aft and inboard a bit to clear the chassis, heat shields for the floor pan will be called for though.

cruiser_downunder91
I'm new, be nice!

Unread post by cruiser_downunder91 » February 1st, 2018, 4:42 pm

cheers hoyks, definitely something to think about!
also do you think the 105 gear box can handle the v8? and will it actually fit? are the cruiser gear boxes interchangeable? this will solve the gear lever situation

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » February 3rd, 2018, 4:15 pm

cruiser_downunder91 wrote:
February 1st, 2018, 4:42 pm
cheers hoyks, definitely something to think about!
also do you think the 105 gear box can handle the v8? and will it actually fit? are the cruiser gear boxes interchangeable? this will solve the gear lever situation
I have no idea, I'm still mucking around with a HJ45 :redface:

Return to “DIY”