DIY Fridge Transit Holder for Engel 38l Eclipse

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
flywire
Getting to know the place

DIY Fridge Transit Holder for Engel 38l Eclipse

Unread post by flywire » October 23rd, 2016, 8:08 pm

I fold the back seat down in my 60 series station wagon and sit the fridge on that on the passenger side. It can be hard to stop your fridge moving around in the vehicle while travelling, particularly on rough roads.

While trying to sort it out I found an old brownbuilt shelf (which was the perfect width and plenty of length) and a bit of aluminium angle in a skip. I fixed the angle to the top and bottom then another piece to the top of the other end. The 60 series has a fastener through the floor at the front of the cargo area so I sat the end with the angle top and bottom at the front of the seat and replaced the fastener with a bolt right through the tray adding a seat belt tie-down under the nut. (I actually put a lock nut on the bolt through the floor then the shelf and tie-down then a final nut.) The holder is the perfect size for the fridge stopping all forward/back/sideways movement and I tie the fridge down to the front seat belt tie-down on the floor and the extra seat belt tie-down at the back.

It is nice and light weight and can be easily removed. I just plug the fridge into the cigarette lighter socket which is re-connected to my auxiliary battery.

Return to “DIY”