would a freezer element beneath intercooler work?

Discussion about home-built mods. Show us how smart you are!
ant797
Getting to know the place

would a freezer element beneath intercooler work?

Unread post by ant797 » September 24th, 2016, 10:01 am

i looked this up noone seems to talk about having done this or doing it they talk about sticking them in freezer or using dry ice or spraying with stuff to make cold ...can this be done i thaught about putting a small freezer element benieth intercooler with foam beneath that and foam surounding sides of intercooler running a compressor off dc with a thermo cut of switch or something and seperate battery ...im no teck fridge mechanic nor mechanic but could this be done or would it blow up or just be null and void
anth

Peter Aawen
Admin

Re: would a freezer element beneath intercooler work?

Unread post by Peter Aawen » September 24th, 2016, 11:47 am

Underneath a top mount intercooler probably wouldn't help much - you generally need to cool the air flowing INTO & around the intercooler heat exchanger, so the air flow generally is channelled thru the I/C from above - cos sucking or pushing air flow UP from the bottom means it's already been pre-heated by flowing past the engine!! That's at least partly why Heat Soak can be an issue on Top Mount I/C's - the radiated heat from the engine rises, DESPITE the 'cooling' air flow that runs down thru the I/C & out via the front of the firewall & the undersides if the vehicle!

Have you looked on any Drag Car sites?? Waaay back when I used to be involved with that sort of thing (mainly with their tyres, admittedly - but I did do some engine work & a bit of street legal stuff! ;) ) there were many who'd build intercoolers with trays on the top so that they could dump dry ice in them to significantly cool them & any air passing thru or around them & improve the heat exchange rate & engine performance that way; but that does only work for a relatively short time!! Anything that lasted much longer than 20 seconds or so was usually pretty pointless anyway! If your run lasted that long, you were toast before you left the trap!! :eek:

Still, I suspect that any 'real' gains you might get from running a top mount intercooler sized freezer element in or on the heat exchanger would be somewhat outweighed by the extra load of running it in the first place, & besides, if it was small enough to be useable, heat soak would soon overcome its operational capabilities & make it pointless PDQ!! And any freezer installation big enough to avoid that heat soak issue would likely add so much weight & extra plumbing etc to the vehicle installation that it'd probably be far worse off from the word go & you'd never catch up with any advantages or improvements in performance!! But I'm pretty sure there will be at least one person out there who has tried!?! :thumb:
An Ex-Service person is someone who thought enough about their country & how great it is, how lucky we are to live here, to write a blank cheque made out to 'The People and Commonwealth of Australia' for the value of 'Up to & including my Life!'

ant797
Getting to know the place

Unread post by ant797 » September 24th, 2016, 12:09 pm

ohwell i spose intergrating an element into one wouldnt work either thinking running it off a battery just to avoid running the pump off the engine and the extra load but i spose if it that was good enough cars aircons compressors would run off battery not off the engine
anth

hoyks
Avid Poster

Unread post by hoyks » September 24th, 2016, 4:44 pm

With engines you never get something for nothing. To make any difference to the volume of air passing through it would need to be a massive cooling system. Feel how hot the cooling vanes on your fridge get and they are only cooling at most a few cubic meters of air in a confined and insulated box.

A fine water spray/mist onto the fins is probably the cheapest and most efficient system. The water evaporating does the cooling and it is cheap to run, light and easy to replenish.

Return to “DIY”